Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

price rise since Monday 20th June ?????

• 23-06-2011 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I went into a shop in Caherconlish Co. Limerick this morning and asked for 20 b&h, they looked for 8.65 euro, I was told that the price had gone up since Monday last.
    Anyone else hear anything about a price rise??? I didn't.

I've been buying my cigarettes elsewhere since Monday and paid 8.55 euro as I have been for a long time now.

A Country Voice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I smoke the rollies myself but bought 20 benson 100s for 8.50 here in Co. Meath heard there was a price rise coming all the same

Ya may switch to the rollies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

yeah,
    I was in another shop since.
    (by the way I told yer wan behind the counter to keep em :D)
    In the 2nd shop, the guy told me that there is a price rise on the way, but no price rise yet. Got my 20 b&h for 8:55euro.
    It was just the hungry fu**ers in the first shop that decided to raise the price themselves.

Might go to the rollies. We'll see. I used to smoke em when I was a dirty student ha ha. I didnt bother with the filters back then. Maybe thats the crucial factor in the switch.

A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Its only John Player putting up there prices from what I can remember the first week in July. I got the 8 65 business tonight with a pack of Silk Cut in a Spar. (not even a jp product!!)

Shocking stuff when you hear them going on about the illicit tobacco trade then upping there prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

John player goes up 15 cent on the blues 4th July

Some of the their other varients go up 10c.

PJ Carrolls put theirs up on 10th July (date correct as far as I can remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Carrolls one was a bit of a suprise to me I have to be honost.
    I nearly went on one when my local charged me 10c more the other day!!!

Yet they want to curb the illicit tobbaco trend while putting up prices.

Can anyone tell me how that will work???

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, the whole thing is being blamed on the EU. Not sure if its true or passing the buck, but there is new legislation says fags must self extinguish. Will look up the letter I got and report back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Self-extinguishing cigarettes? Start a new thread on that one so this doesn't go off topic. Thanks.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

yeh my pack of amber leaf has gone up the 10 cent aswell, I was very confused when the shop asked me for 4.30. Any news on why its gone up now? Dont they usually only go up after the budget or has someone snuck through a secret charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its extremely irritating allright, is it only a matter of time before they go over the tenner mark? I Was in Berlin last week and was getting 20 camel for 4euro, just puts it into perspective how badly fleeced we're getting here.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Self-extinguishing cigarettes? Start a new thread on that one so this doesn't go off topic. Thanks.

HB

I'm not kidding. I am only answering the question about why the cigs are going up. Found the memo.

For some reason the memo isnt showing, must have done it wrong, will try again later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It appears to be related to the new 'Fire safe cigarettes' law that becomes mandatory this year. This report is old but sets out what it's all about:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7544619.stm

Its extremely irritating allright, is it only a matter of time before they go over the tenner mark? I Was in Berlin last week and was getting 20 camel for 4euro, just puts it into perspective how badly fleeced we're getting here.

You are quite right, but remember, dont blame the shops !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Blame the government. Someone got me a present of a 50 gram packet of Amber Leaf in Portugal about a month ago, for €5.50 Considering it's €4.20 for 12.5 grams here, I can see the government getting less tax the higher they raise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

the_syco wrote: »
    Blame the government. Someone got me a present of a 50 gram packet of Amber Leaf in Portugal about a month ago, for €5.50 Considering it's €4.20 for 12.5 grams here, I can see the government getting less tax the higher they raise it.

4.30 now just back form the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Ok boys and girls. Pj carrolls go up Monday. They do carrolls, rothmans, major, pall mall, sweet afton and cutters choice. Not sure if any will stay at their present price or if all go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

i take it this didn't effect rollie tobacco?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

syngindub wrote: »
    i take it this didn't effect rollie tobacco?
    It did mine 9 euro for a pouch of samson grrr

Advertisement