Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I just got offer council house from hell !

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

it is rediculous tbh. just because mary harney could afford to have a full gob of gold teeth to chomp on all that food!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

hdowney wrote: »
    it is rediculous tbh. just because mary harney could afford to have a full gob of gold teeth to chomp on all that food!!!!
    LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

This thread makes me sick.

I am furious at the likes of trophy wife, who by the way I would love to see a picture off, user names are so easily thought up lol.

I live in social housing and i earn 346 a week fgor 39 hours work and i pay 120 a week rent to cork county council????

So what i have left just after rent equals just above the dole.

She needs to get a life trophy that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

hdowney wrote: »
    just thought i would point out - the 'free' dental care you are entitled to these days as a medical card holder is 1 free checkup per yr. if you have any other need of an apt with the dentist, or if he/she finds anything in said checkup that needs fixing you have to pay for it. it is 50quid consult fee with my dentist BEFORE any work that needs doing! madness. so i can see a lot of poorer families going back to the times when they had crappy teeth thanks to Mary bleedin Harney.

That might not be a bad thing in the long run. The less money the government pumps into the dentists, the more they'll be willing to lower the price for their "services" as there will be hardly anybody who could afford it - that's the way I see it, I might be wrong... Here are some jaw-dropping figures http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dentist-paid-euro577000-by-state-2269846.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

jonevin wrote: »

I am furious at the likes of trophy wife, who by the way I would love to see a picture off, user names are so easily thought up lol.

I live in social housing and i earn 346 a week fgor 39 hours work and i pay 120 a week rent to cork county council????

So what i have left just after rent equals just above the dole.

She needs to get a life trophy that is.

It makes me sick too.

You see threads where someone has had a mortgage (and job) for years, they lose their jobs and they just get the world of abuse for trying to hold on to their house.

There are threads where people wonder how much they can claim on the dole for their kids because they were made redundant and they get told they shouldn't have had kids when they couldn't afford them.

It's a terrible attitude to have.

Unfortunately no matter what you do or say there's always going to be ignorant people out there who will cast you as a stereotype and they won't change their minds because they would rather just moan about everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Agree with you Tayla. NO matter how much tax you pay or have paid over the years some people on this borad will have you hung for posting about your situation if your in trouble ect. Makes me think twice about posting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

As someone who's spent most of their life living in a council estate I can understand the OP's apprehension about living next door to an antisocial family and don't understand the ''beggars can't be choosers'' attitude--the lifestyle of your neighbours could easily end up affecting your own/family's welfare or wellbeing and it's reasonable for OP to want to be situated somewhere safer. In my estate we had to put up with a nightmare family for years until they moved on and it just caused so much stress and frustration at the time, I couldn't blame anyone for trying their best to avoid that heartache.

I hope OP was able to gleam some useful information out of all of this and wish her all the best. It's disheartening to see some people get the claws out without even knowing the full story, but it's also good to see there are a lot of people with common sense too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

jonevin wrote: »

Here ya go http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/business/worldbusiness/04ireland.html?_r=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

My partner and i are in full time employment and cannot afford to have kids but would love to some day, however as tax payers we are expected pay for people who bring kids into this world with no thought as to how they are going to house/feed or clothe them.....people who cannot afford to have kids should learn about contraception!
    I know of 2 single women who had kids to get a council house, they are out every weekend and took their kids to Disneyland while my partner and i work 90+ hrs per week to keep them in the lifestyle they're entilted to....! where is the fairness in this?:confused:
    PS i interviewed people for positions last week and 2 of them told me in the interview that it wasn't worth their while and they'd be better of on the dole. The start rate is almost €10 per hr. I also had one who had been on the dole for years told me he didn't do "manual work":mad:

Yep there is a substantial constituency who think that they're "entitled" to be looked after by the State.

Only those who have paid their taxes and have worked should be looked after by the State.
    Or people who are physically/mentally disabled should also be looked after by the State.

The rest should have their entitlements slashed and be left to fend for themselves.

You need a licence to keep a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Tayla wrote: »
    It makes me sick too.

You see threads where someone has had a mortgage (and job) for years, they lose their jobs and they just get the world of abuse for trying to hold on to their house.

There are threads where people wonder how much they can claim on the dole for their kids because they were made redundant and they get told they shouldn't have had kids when they couldn't afford them.

It's a terrible attitude to have.

Unfortunately no matter what you do or say there's always going to be ignorant people out there who will cast you as a stereotype and they won't change their minds because they would rather just moan about everyone else.

I don't think anyone is putting forward that people who lose their jobs be denied welfare.

It is the career thieves who live of the State and don't want to work who should be denied welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hinault wrote: »
    It is the career thieves who live of the State and don't want to work who should be denied welfare.

People seem to imagine that there are hundreds of thousands of these 'career thieves' as you put them. If that was the case- how come we got our unemployment rate down to less than 4%- which in any economy is considered to be full employment. If you wanted to lower this even more- you are looking at structural reforms- top of the list being the provision of affordable quality childcare (unless you're suggesting that people, in general, stop having kids).

Sure- there are some people out there who even in the good times, did not want to work- and I'm sure that most people will have annecdotes about a family member or someone they know. The fact of the matter is that these people are very much in the minority- the vast preponderance of people claiming benefits, would be far happier to be in gainful employment, were the opportunity afforded them.

I really think that this thread is not going anywhere. OP- if you'd like me to re-open it, please PM me, and I'll do so.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement