Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My God, it's full of stars!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

let me be the first to suggest a new sport
    SumoRef.jpg

at this stage the hospitals and ambulance services must have you on speed dial

joking aside, recover well, whatever about bone pain, get the head right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

God lord! Thank god it was not more serious. Wishing you a speedy recovery Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

God lord! Thank god it was not more serious. Wishing you a speedy recovery Dave.

Cheers, as the doctors in A&E said - "if the wheel had gone over your head would be a different story, but don't think about that....."*

* words to that effect, head injury could even have been talking to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Fvck me! That’s awful sobering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Holy cr@p, glad you're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

hope it works out well was quite relieved you had no accident aound cork ...

i hope you dont get sued by the walker ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jayz Dave.

Back on the bike yesterday for commuting and I have to admit very very nervous.
    Rain today didn't help either!

I was in the bathroom today shaving and my youngest lad (4) came in. Two unprompted questions.....

#1 Are you going to get skinny to win races?
    #2 Is your medal from Cork made of coal because it wasn't a real Ironman cause there was no swim?

I do not know where he got these questions...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Notwithstanding where he got the questions from, they are perfectly valid!!

• Advertisement

Went for a swim day before yesterday. First since the most recent accident. Wow that hurt. Damage to elbow (bone??) and my neck and back in a jock.

Few runs including an aborted tempo one yesterday. Part weather related, part lack of sleep due to below bollocks not sleeping last night and crying and whinging almost all the night.

2019-07-17-23-35-15.jpg

A few more attempts at running. Things just not right. Took a bigger hammering in the crash than I thought. Sore, stiff and fecked. ****ing annoying

Monday 30th September 2019
    Weight : 84.3 kg

Yesterday was my 12th wedding anniversary. It was also the 3rd anniversary of my accident on the way to Ironman Barcelona.
    A lot has happened in the 12 years (three kids, new jobs, new careers, moved house three times, got a dog and a lot more).

A lot happened as well in the three years since my accident however in terms of exercise, training/racing and generally looking after myself very little positive has happened. You could say I wallowed in self pity and defeat, you could equally say I could have been more pro-active in pain management and pain reduction, you could fill a whole book on the year. Work has been a dominant force in my life the last year. A quick Google of "Datalex" may explain why and give some idea of the pressures and stresses.

Anyways its time for the pity party to stop. I cannot continue to live my life like this. Yes I am in constant pain and have a reduced range of motion and decreased sensation and sensitivity in my right arm, but guess what that is not going to change. So “If it’s endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining.” Stop complaining and get on with it. Or as a version of me from way back when may have said. Suck it up buttercup, HTFU and get on with it. Onwards..........

Usual 22km of commuting, dodging cars trying to kill you just because.
    Easy waddle at lunch with a colleague. AHR:159bpm for this effort.

image.png

General state of health and injuries:
    • Lower back gives pain and is weak
    • C4-C7 is a source of pain and "crunching".
    • Right arm is weak, particularly bicep, and sensation in fingers is poor. Right forearm also weak
    • Fitness is low
    • Motivation is not great
    • Habits and lifestyle are poor
    • Head is distracted and willingness to suffer is negligible
    • Stress is extremely high
    • Body fat percentage is also very high

Next steps, devise a plan to work the problem(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

tunney wrote: »
    Weight : 84.3 kg

Yesterday was my 12th wedding anniversary. It was also the 3rd anniversary of my accident on the way to Ironman Barcelona.
    A lot has happened in the 12 years (three kids, new jobs, new careers, moved house three times, got a dog and a lot more).

A lot happened as well in the three years since my accident however in terms of exercise, training/racing and generally looking after myself very little positive has happened. You could say I wallowed in self pity and defeat, you could equally say I could have been more pro-active in pain management and pain reduction, you could fill a whole book on the year. Work has been a dominant force in my life the last year. A quick Google of "Datalex" may explain why and give some idea of the pressures and stresses.

Anyways its time for the pity party to stop. I cannot continue to live my life like this. Yes I am in constant pain and have a reduced range of motion and decreased sensation and sensitivity in my right arm, but guess what that is not going to change. So “If it’s endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining.” Stop complaining and get on with it. Or as a version of me from way back when may have said. Suck it up buttercup, HTFU and get on with it. Onwards..........

You definitely aren't having much luck, but hopefully that will change.

Have you considered seeing someone about your range of movement? Not a physio, but someone that looks at the fundamentals.

I did 2 years ago now and it has definitely improved a lot of aspects of my training and racing, but more importantly, general day to day.

I'd highly recommend the guy I went to see, let me know if you want details.

Here's to a better turn of luck for you.

You definitely aren't having much luck, but hopefully that will change.

Have you considered seeing someone about your range of movement? Not a physio, but someone that looks at the fundamentals.

I did 2 years ago now and it has definitely improved a lot of aspects of my training and racing, but more importantly, general day to day.

I'd highly recommend the guy I went to see, let me know if you want details.

Here's to a better turn of luck for you.

Thanks!
    Please do PM me the details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was just thinking the same as I read through this, someone (a good personal trainer) to help you on your mobility and strength would be useful. Someone with good knowledge who actually knows what they are talking about aka Transfrom/Dominic Munnelly from the fitness forum.

Would you consider doing some weightlifting to help you shift some bodyfat and get a bit of strength? What have the doctors/physio said along these lines?

Last week wasn't a great week. A lot going on, cannot get into details but a very busy and frantic week. Only managed two short runs and definitely did not clean up diet or the like. Back and neck in agony for half the week.

The lads (Tango and Fran) did IM Barcelona yesterday - following their escapades online really made me miss it. Well done to them both on their performances!

Started this week a little better, short run before work around Bushy park. Back and neck not great - wondering is a combination of the running plus working on a laptop....... maybe need a proper home office (WFH today)

In September 2018 myself and a colleague said "lets get fit and do the marathon, wave 1 all the way". He has been very much in the trenches as well as me and his training has been as frequent, consistent and of the same volume as mine, its been a rough year for all in the company.

Anyways couple of weeks ago the conversation came up about doing it anyways. He is that "fit from GAA guy" I used to deride as a work of fiction a decade or so ago - former intercounty hurler and is annoyingly fit, fast and strong as a default. Anyways he did 3 21km runs in prep, I did an 11km run last week and off we went.

Unsurprisingly I blew at 30km and finished in 4:35. Also unsurprisingly he didn't and finished in 3:55.

I promised my wife that that is the end of untrained events. Also that I would sort my work life balance and stress levels.

• Advertisement

Smart-Select-20191124-192045-Final-Surge.jpg

First reasonable week in a long time. All planned sessions hit. Some new exercises in the gym that really worked muscles I didn't know I had. Form on Romanian deadlift not right and lower back didn't like it.

Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Smart-Select-20191124-192045-Final-Surge.jpg

First reasonable week in a long time. All planned sessions hit. Some new exercises in the gym that really worked muscles I didn't know I had. Form on Romanian deadlift not right and lower back didn't like it.

Onwards!

Good going,

What app are you using there?

Good going,

What app are you using there?

Final Surge

Monday 25th November 2019
    Weight: Tubby

Swam 1500m and ran easy for 30 minutes. Some twinges from ITB so need to look at quads and calves and also releasing the TFL.
    Neck was not good in the water, third some in 8 days and it does not like the rotation, rolling and releasing also required.

Presently taking refuge in the office, waiting for the ark to appear before I go anything.

Tuesday 26th September 2019

Treadmill run this morning and then into a strength and conditioning programme. Lots of compound movements. My form isn't great so working on that with a friend for some of the exercises.

Nicely fatigued after.
    Then a swim cycle to work. Fvck it was wet. Cr@p I forgot to dry my gear, thats going to be a manky cycle home.

Cycled home in work clothesand with a CAAD10 frame a colleague gave me sound my neck. Lovely frame.

So great news that I can finally announced I have a new job! New year new Start, very small company with huge potential. Very excited about it!

Smart-Select-20191201-183214-Final-Surge.jpg

Another good week. Moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So great news that I can finally announced I have a new job! New year new Start, very small company with huge potential. Very excited about it!

Congrats tunney. Thats a positive start to 2020 for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Deadly! Delighted for you. Hope the training works out too :)

Advertisement