Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Open sea swim calendar

Options
  • 27-02-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭

It's only a provisional but may be useful to someone.

31may Bob bushell ( but organiser stated last night this maybe moved)
    1 June Glenalbyn ( sandy cove harbour)
    2 June Sandycove SC( butt bridge swim down to new bridge like NAC, finish Jeannie Johnson)
    7 June NAC ( Docklands )
    8June Meath masters (loch lene)
    14 June Garda Sc ( portmarnock)
    15 June NDWS. ( bull wall)
    20 June Templeogue sc ( sea point)
    21 June. ( no one asked for this date, but bob bushell maybe on at this date not sure)
    22 June Wexford masters ( curracloe beach)
    28 June Eastern bay ( low rock)
    29 June Wicklow masters ( Wicklow bay)
    5 July Half moon ( Arthur dunne south wall)
    6 July Dublin Sc ( Kiliney Beach)
    12 July Garda Sc ( special Olympics)
    13 July Sanycove Sc ( Eddie Heron)
    20 July Aerlingus ( portmarnock)
    26 July Thomond swim ( limerick)
    2 August Guinness ( low rock)
    3 August Wicklow Sc ( Wicklow harbor )
    4 August Pheonix Sc ( Kiliney beach)
    9 August Corrib Sc ( salt hill Galway)
    10 August Halfmoon ( Kiliney beach)
    16 August Clontarf ( island swim)
    17 August Halfmoon ( kilmartin cup)
    19 August Clontarf ( big shelter bull wall)
    23 August Lough dan 5&10 k
    24 August St Vincent's ( high rock)
    30 August ( no schedule swim, may change)
    31 August Dun Laoghaire swim
    6 sept Carraig masters ( Wendy 3 k)
    7 sept ( a new race, not sure who is running it )
    13 sept Liffey swim....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 heavybreather

mad m wrote: »
    It's only a provisional but may be useful to someone.

31may Bob bushell ( but organiser stated last night this maybe moved)
    1 June Glenalbyn ( sandy cove harbour)
    2 June Sandycove SC( butt bridge swim down to new bridge like NAC, finish Jeannie Johnson)
    7 June NAC ( Docklands )
    8June Meath masters (loch lene)
    14 June Garda Sc ( portmarnock)
    15 June NDWS. ( bull wall)
    20 June Templeogue sc ( sea point)
    21 June. ( no one asked for this date, but bob bushell maybe on at this date not sure)
    22 June Wexford masters ( curracloe beach)
    28 June Eastern bay ( low rock)
    29 June Wicklow masters ( Wicklow bay)
    5 July Half moon ( Arthur dunne south wall)
    6 July Dublin Sc ( Kiliney Beach)
    12 July Garda Sc ( special Olympics)
    13 July Sanycove Sc ( Eddie Heron)
    20 July Aerlingus ( portmarnock)
    26 July Thomond swim ( limerick)
    2 August Guinness ( low rock)
    3 August Wicklow Sc ( Wicklow harbor )
    4 August Pheonix Sc ( Kiliney beach)
    9 August Corrib Sc ( salt hill Galway)
    10 August Halfmoon ( Kiliney beach)
    16 August Clontarf ( island swim)
    17 August Halfmoon ( kilmartin cup)
    19 August Clontarf ( big shelter bull wall)
    23 August Lough dan 5&10 k
    24 August St Vincent's ( high rock)
    30 August ( no schedule swim, may change)
    31 August Dun Laoghaire swim
    6 sept Carraig masters ( Wendy 3 k)
    7 sept ( a new race, not sure who is running it )
    13 sept Liffey swim....

thanks
    Im organising a swim, how would I go about adding it to the list? Is there some qualifying criteria and where would in find them?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Looking forward to this year already!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

thanks
    Im organising a swim, how would I go about adding it to the list? Is there some qualifying criteria and where would in find them?
    thanks

Contact the Open Sea Committee.....

http://leinsteropensea.ie/?page_id=38

It probably a bit late now as most of the calender dates are full..

FYI everyone

Dun Laoghaire Harbour swim is now on 10th August instead of 31 August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Forgive these beginner questions, I think I know the answers but would like them clarified...

Is swim Ireland membership (or club membership?) required for these OW races?

Are they wetsuit optional or skins only?

I gather some of the (Liffey Swim for instance) are dependent on you having done qualifying swims? Does a handicap system operate? (and if so how does that work?)

How often do swims get cancelled due to cold water or swell? (I'm coming from a triathlon background where swims are cancelled all the time if there are a few waves:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Forgive these beginner questions, I think I know the answers but would like them clarified...

I gather some of the (Liffey Swim for instance) are dependent on you having done qualifying swims? Does a handicap system operate? (and if so how does that work?)

How often do swims get cancelled due to cold water or swell? (I'm coming from a triathlon background where swims are cancelled all the time if there are a few waves:rolleyes:)

1: You have to be registered with a swim club, once you are your automatically registered with swim ireland.

2:Wetsuit is optional, but you wont be included in any prizes.

3: You have to swim 4 out of any of the swims during swim season before date of Harbour/Liffey to qualify. Handicap do operate. Kurt you will be hit with a heavy handicap because its your first race with open sea leinster? You will probably have this handicap for a few races so they can judge your swim ability and give you a fairer handicap to suit you and other swimmers.If you were to win your first race on your first swim, you wont be allowed to win it, you will be placed 2nd. The handicap system works by the weaker swimmers go first, they sometimes have a few swimmers who are A, then the next are B, then its GO which is 0:00 time, then its -0:15, -0:30 , -0:45 etc. Before a race you check in (10 euro a race, except Harbour/Liffey) they give you a handicap.

I think last season only two races were cancelled due to bad weather/no boat cover. Its the Irish weather Kurt so you know yourself. But if it gets cancelled they normally put it up on FB or some other form of social media. They don't normally cancel races due to a few swells, normally if the civil defense boats cant get out, its automatically cancelled. The Open Sea Committee insist on 3 boats for safety cover before a race goes ahead. Normally the first few races are shortened in distance because of cold water/safety.

1: You have to be registered with a swim club, once you are your automatically registered with swim ireland.

2:Wetsuit is optional, but you wont be included in any prizes.

3: You have to swim 4 out of any of the swims during swim season before date of Harbour/Liffey to qualify. Handicap do operate. Kurt you will be hit with a heavy handicap because its your first race with open sea leinster? You will probably have this handicap for a few races so they can judge your swim ability and give you a fairer handicap to suit you and other swimmers.If you were to win your first race on your first swim, you wont be allowed to win it, you will be placed 2nd. The handicap system works by the weaker swimmers go first, they sometimes have a few swimmers who are A, then the next are B, then its GO which is 0:00 time, then its -0:15, -0:30 , -0:45 etc. Before a race you check in (10 euro a race, except Harbour/Liffey) they give you a handicap.

I think last season only two races were cancelled due to bad weather/no boat cover. Its the Irish weather Kurt so you know yourself. But if it gets cancelled they normally put it up on FB or some other form of social media. They don't normally cancel races due to a few swells, normally if the civil defense boats cant get out, its automatically cancelled. The Open Sea Committee insist on 3 boats for safety cover before a race goes ahead. Normally the first few races are shortened in distance because of cold water/safety.

Very helpful replies, thanks madm. I'm looking forward to giving a few of these a shot. Liffey swim too because I'm an unrepentant box-ticker;)

A good honest sea swim with a few waves is the only way to go. Great fun and great for reminding you you're alive. Risk and safety is something to be concerned with, but more's the pity, anything with a few waves gets cancelled in Tri (in my experience), so I hope to give a few from this calendar a shot. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Hi,

You need to be a member of a swim Ireland affiliated club.

You can wear wetsuits in the non classics ie not in the harbour or the Liffey but you won't qualify for points or prizes, and possibly those races where you wear a wetsuit won't be allowed as qualifiers for the classics.

All races are handicapped and you can't win first prize in your first race. Slow swimmers go on go and the faster you are the more time you have to wait after go before you can start.

Races usually get cancelled if the weather reaches small craft warning or higher but the organisers will make a call on the day of a race or the evening before. Coldness would not normally be a reason for cancelling a race.

Hope this helps
    Btw the feeling you have after a race is brilliant.

Edit: only seeing other replies now, sorry for repeating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

I've attached the draft Munster OW session. Unlike the Leinster races, wetsuits are very welcome and are included in the prices. Some races require Swim Ireland membership, most do not - this information is included in the attached.

Most of these races/swims are in very clear water and are great craic. Test yourself by going big. No easy Leinster distances down in Munster!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Freddio wrote: »
    You need to be a member of a swim Ireland affiliated club.
    So say if I was home over the summer and wanted to try out one of the races, I'd have to join a club first?

• Advertisement

For the Leinster races, yes and you would have to be a paid up member of swim Ireland for the current year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

So say if I was home over the summer and wanted to try out one of the races, I'd have to join a club first?

I'm sure other clubs are doing it but I think the NAC in Dublin/Blanchardstown do membership for 40euros for the year and that gives you your Swim Ireland membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

There are other unaffiliated events, though. Killiney Bay Ironman swim and Openwaterswimmer events in Glendalough, Gougane Barrra etc. Price is a bit higher to cover safety and insurance costs but no memberships required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Is there any agreement with Triathlon Ireland in reciprocal fashion to cover these events? I know Cycling Ireland acknowledges TI for many events so folks don't have to join multiple organisations supervising some of the same sports.

SI membership on its own would be helpful, for those not wishing to tie in with a specific club (and pay twice etc).

Looking forward to a few now, that being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Hi
    A new swim event in Galway, Longest Day Swim, 21st June. An evening swim down The Corrib, 2.5km or 4km option.

entries open on Active.com e25.00 plus booking fee, includes bus transfer, insurance, event t-shirt and refreshments after.

The short distance is all down river while the longer course will have a 250mtrs up river start with the balance a fast blast down the river.

This is an open event, no Swim Ireland / Triathlon membership required.

Skins or Suits welcome.

thanks

Seeing as there is a sizeable amount of Triathletes who would be interested in these races, a good way to get membership of Swim Ireland is to join the new 3D Masters Swimming Club, set up as a separate entity by 3D Tri Club. You don't have to be a 3D Tri member (or TI member), but it will cost €49. You will then get a Swim Ireland membership number, access to OW training group swims (mostly Dublin based), and more importantly be surrounded by fellow wetsuit devotees who will offer understanding and sympathy as you complain of the cold and hardship of being forced to race skins;)

(I've no connection to the above besides being a member, just thought it might appeal to some from here too)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Anyone know who is the handicapper this year?

Finelli wrote: »
    Anyone know who is the handicapper this year?

I'm led to believe its Frank

I'm led to believe its Frank

Who will do Franks Handicap!!!

• Advertisement

I'm led to believe its Frank as well

I'm led to believe its Frank as well

Well I've known Frank for a few years now and when dealing with him I've always found him to be fair......

Frank, give me a good handicap if your reading this:D

Well I've known Frank for a few years now and when dealing with him I've always found him to be fair......

I completely agree but I do think its kind of Irish that the handicapper might also be competing

I completely agree but I do think its kind of Irish that the handicapper might also be competing

Yeah agreed. Think though Joe Browne may do his handicap. All will be revealed tomorrow. Bloody meant to be a wash out tomorrow with heavy rain. Hope it doesn't cancel it....

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Can anybody suggest some of the better swims (or at least their own favourites) on this calendar?

Ideally swims that are at an easy location to find/park at, not likely to be cancelled at short notice, preferably suitable for a family day out ....

Munster swimmer looking to qualify for the Liffey, so an overnight family break is a strong possibility to get two swims in one weekend. Any advice appreciated?

Can anybody suggest some of the better swims (or at least their own favourites) on this calendar?

Ideally swims that are at an easy location to find/park at, not likely to be cancelled at short notice, preferably suitable for a family day out ....

Munster swimmer looking to qualify for the Liffey, so an overnight family break is a strong possibility to get two swims in one weekend. Any advice appreciated?
    l

Dun Laoghaire is your best bet. There is two swims on 12&13 July both at Windsurfers Pier down the road from main Dun Laoghaire town or across from Seapoint if you know it? The first one is a run by Garda SC for Special Olymics and is a qualifier for Liffey and the next one is the Eddie Heron (qualifier) from Windsurfers down to Blackrock a good 2k+ straight swim and most consider this a top swim. Plus they are on at 11.30 and 12pm, Windsurfers is a lovely place and a few picnic tables and loads of parking, only thing is you will have to walk up to seapoint for a loo if stuck.

The other thing is the Eddie Heron race, you start at Windsurfers and finish at blackrock so your bag will be brought down or you can either walk back or jump on dart back to windsurfers or if your wife can drive down its not far in car....

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Can people confirm that wetsuit swimmers will be welcome?

I've always been given the strong impression that they are likely to be treated with great disdain and/or be sent away with great prejudice from most Leinster swims. I don't care about prizes.

pc11 wrote: »
    Can people confirm that wetsuit swimmers will be welcome?

I've always been given the strong impression that they are likely to be treated with great disdain and/or be sent away with great prejudice from most Leinster swims. I don't care about prizes.

It's like a pot gold at the end of a rainbow....myth. Your more than welcome. Just make sure your registered with a club. Also just let the handicapper know before the race your wearing a wetsuit and you know you won't be included in prizes.

First swim under the belt, happy enough with it. Cold enough but once you got going it was ok. Bit of a chop at second buoy and I got pushed a good bit left on way in by current. Frank didn't swim today. Well done to Glenalbyn for a good race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

It's like a pot gold at the end of a rainbow....myth. Your more than welcome. Just make sure your registered with a club. Also just let the handicapper know before the race your wearing a wetsuit and you know you won't be included in prizes.

Thanks Mad_m. I'm glad to hear this. I'm still a little doubtful we would be welcomed with open arms, based on conversations with swimmers, but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

What is the typical entry fee for races?

Advertisement