Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police shootings, vigilante shootings, and Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What was he doing when he was shot, again? What was he doing prior to getting shot?

Does it matter?
    Who's life was he endangering exactly?

If your response to someone is to automatically assume the worst and shoot them in the back 7 times, perhaps armed law enforcement isnt for you?

What was he going to do with the knife anyway, worst case?
    Go on a rampage and *maybe* cut someone before getting shot dozens of times?

What if it was a baseball bat in the car? Is that good for 5 shots?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wouldn't be comfortable with the "black people need to get their own house in order first" line of argument.

For a start, it seems to come dangerously close to suggesting that they need to earn the right to complain or don't deserve to expect better treatment.

Secondly, it essentially treats the black community as a homogeneous mass which has collective responsibility for the sins of the few.

Try telling an Italian American that they're somehow responsible for addressing Mafia crime or an Irish person in Britain that they had a responsibility to combat the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

GreeBo wrote: »
    Does it matter?
    Who's life was he endangering exactly?

If your response to someone is to automatically assume the worst and shoot them in the back 7 times, perhaps armed law enforcement isnt for you?

What was he going to do with the knife anyway, worst case?
    Go on a rampage and *maybe* cut someone before getting shot dozens of times?

What if it was a baseball bat in the car? Is that good for 5 shots?

Yes it matters. Fight the police, refuse to obey their instructions and make threatening moves. You're going to have a bad outcome. The while sequence of events was dictated by Blake's actions. At any point prior to being shot, he could have simply stopped, and he wouldn't have been shot. He is entirely the author of his own misfortune.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shoot first, ask questions later. I don't think that's regarded as proper policing. So they shot Blake because he might have been going for a gun.

What's the alternative. Wait till they have an actual gun in their hand when they have clearly been directed to stop.

You'd be OK with risking your own life like that in the line of duty.

In a country with so many guns that is how they need to operate if they want to get home safe each night.

Comply and dont resist arrest and there will be less deaths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He had a weapon. I'm glad you can ignore his actions on the day. Am I allowed to do whatever I want if a child is present?

I knife handily found on the car seat where everyone keeps their knives.

Even if the knife was there you yourself are ignoring the fact the police first of all had guns, out numbered the suspect (suspect, as in not been convicted of anything yet) and second of all could not have known there was a knife there. It's blatantly unnecessary use of force. They killed him based on the possibility had might have a weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This thread is highlights the dividing issues in America at the moment and up until a few days ago, I thought a serious incident (mass shooting event) was unlikely, now I can see it is probable, once that happens all bets are off. Judging by the hundreds of social media posts I read since last week and this thread I can see people can look at one clip and see 2 totally different things.

The clip where the woman was surrounded at the cafe/restaurant to raise her fist is mana from the heavens for the likes of Tucker Carlson. I wish there was something could be done to stop these idiots derailing any good will the Dems can gather. Should Nancy and Joe come out and disown them and let them split off to an even more fringe group but not be associated with Democrats main party? I don't know what can be done.

The Blake shooting was anything but a stonewall good or bad shoot. We need more information to know the whole story (I am not talking about what happened before). The police are badly trained, generally, not CAG operators they also don't have anything like basic hand to hand skills they should have so even a minor scuffle can turn into a life and death struggle for them. Taking this into account when someone has a weapon or looks like they do, it is a life or death decision for them. Blake ran back to the car while drawn on, and looked to reach for something, it is very very disingenuous to say he was getting his licence or a pack a cigarettes. He was clearly not of sound mind so we don't what he was thinking. Was the knife in his hand before or after he was shot? Did he say he was going to get his gun as was reported somewhere? if the cops believed he was getting a gun and had proof they believed that, then it was fine to use force. Either way it was excessive force with that amount of rounds.

The Kyle Rittenhouse incident isn't clean cut either. I seen it mainly reported that gunman went on the rampage shooting. This again feeds the fake news narrative the far right push. Clearly the guy has issues and is the quintessential bootlicker. He was carrying illegally, was reported to have been caught speeding while driving without a licence, so is no saint plus the photos of him on social media and the interviews on the night point to a very troubled teen. All of that said like Jacob Blake and even Floyd George and individuals who were shot, their back story is almost irrelevant to the issue. The initial shooting incident is the key, was his life in danger when he shot the guy in the head? It is reported he returned fire after a Molotov was thrown at him. I couldn't make that out from the video. If it was right to shoot then, then the follow up shooting were self defense, he was in fear of his life, one guy had a skate board and the guy who was shot in the arm was carrying handgun. If it wasn't it was a fugitive shooting people as he fled. I heard people talking about Castle doctrine and stand your ground laws etc, I am not sure of the laws in that state but he may get off with murder. To go around as it is being reported that he was spraying bullets at protesters is very unhelpful, the same way to say cops are randomly shooting black people. It only stokes up outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You've got that the wrong way round. He's the Leader of the Republican Party. Not the Jim Crow law supporting Democrat party.

I think it would be pointless to go deep on this with you given the last two posts I've read of yours so I'll stick to Trump.

He's a RINO. He was a registered democrat alright at one point in his life. Trump doesn't give a damn about the republican party, or the democrat party for that matter. Trump gives a damn about Trump. That's it, and those willing to sacrifice themselves on his altar have my pity.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

From information being released, he was armed, police attempted to restrain him, he resisted. Tazers were employed but ineffective, he refused to obey orders to stop, despite having guns drawn on him. Reached into the car. That's a justified shooting imo.

:confused:

He wasn't armed, and the incident is there on video to show as much - if he were already armed, why would he be reaching for a knife in his car, which you allege?

The wider issue is when you remove this situation from isolation and apply it to all groups. Anti-lockdown protesters were extremely heavily armed, and without masks were screaming directly in the face of police officers, yet no attempts were made to restrain them. Had police done so, there likely would have been a lot of bloodshed across the nation at the time of these protests.

Yet with the BLM protests, we are seeing law enforcement gas even peaceful protesters in situations like Trump's church photo op, attack journalists, and treating protesters entirely differently to how they did for the anti-lockdown ones in cases where both parties are/were acting almost identically.

There is no denying that the anti-lockdown protests were met with preferential treatment when compared to the BLM protests.

One of numerous shining examples are the protests in Huntington Beach, where scenes were identical for each protests - or even less charged for the BLM ones - way back in May, right as the protests broke out. Anti lockdown protesters were allowed to carry on as they pleased, yet BLM protesters were broken up for 'illegal assembly'.

The problem with the US is that this issue is not exclusive to this years protests at all, and is instead a long, ongoing issue that many seem openly hostile to addressing. I don't think it is exclusively a race issue, but is more related to how much police (who in the US rarely work in the cities they serve) identify with the people in question or not, which is not how equal application of the law is supposed to work.

It's the type of situation that sees one person shot seven times for potentially reaching for a weapon in their car that they potentially could have used, while another is let walk away while already in possession of an assault rifle that they already have used to kill two people and shoot another, while people (that the police don't identify with) stand by screaming at them that he is the shooter, which even the shooter wasn't denying.

An empty generalisation, devoid of context and substance.
    Actually, traffic stop info appears to back this up somewhat, where black people are stopped and searched at a much, much higher level than white people, despite the fact they are typically less likely to have contraband.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/08/los-angeles-police-stop-search-black-latino
    Traffic stop data from a recent 10-month period across LA revealed that black drivers and passengers were four times more likely to be searched by police than white people, and that Latinos were three times as likely to face searches, the Los Angeles Times reported on Tuesday.

In stops across the city, 24% of black drivers and passengers were searched, compared with 16% of Latinos and 5% of white people. White drivers were found with drugs or other contraband 20% of the time, a higher rate than other groups; the contraband rate was 17% for black people and 16% for Latinos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

:confused:

He wasn't armed, and the incident is there on video to show as much - if he were already armed, why would he be reaching for a knife in his car, which you allege?

The wider issue is when you remove this situation from isolation and apply it to all groups. Anti-lockdown protesters were extremely heavily armed, and without masks were screaming directly in the face of police officers, yet no attempts were made to restrain them. Had police done so, there likely would have been a lot of bloodshed across the nation at the time of these protests.

Yet with the BLM protests, we are seeing law enforcement gas even peaceful protesters in situations like Trump's church photo op, attack journalists, and treating protesters entirely differently to how they did for the anti-lockdown ones in cases where both parties are/were acting almost identically.

There is no denying that the anti-lockdown protests were met with preferential treatment when compared to the BLM protests.

One of numerous shining examples are the protests in Huntington Beach, where scenes were identical for each protests - or even less charged for the BLM ones - way back in May, right as the protests broke out. Anti lockdown protesters were allowed to carry on as they pleased, yet BLM protesters were broken up for 'illegal assembly'.

The problem with the US is that this issue is not exclusive to this years protests at all, and is instead a long, ongoing issue that many seem openly hostile to addressing. I don't think it is exclusively a race issue, but is more related to how much police (who in the US rarely work in the cities they serve) identify with the people in question or not, which is not how equal application of the law is supposed to work.

It's the type of situation that sees one person shot seven times for potentially reaching for a weapon in their car that they potentially could have used, while another is let walk away while already in possession of an assault rifle that they already have used to kill two people and shoot another, while people (that the police don't identify with) stand by screaming at them that he is the shooter, which even the shooter wasn't denying.

The anti lockdowners where not going around looting, robbing and burning buildings down like the BLM/Antifa thugs.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Abraham Lincoln a republican?
    He was.

However something very important has since happened called the Southern Strategy around the time of the Civil Rights movements, primarily started by Barry Goldwater, then pushed forward more by Nixon and Reagan, and today being a central part of the Republican party as a whole that flipped where parties stand. This has become even more noticeable since the Religious Right, a racist movement started directly and explicitly in opposition to desegregation of schools, became the Republican Party's most loyal base.

The anti lockdowners where not going around looting, robbing and burning buildings down like the BLM/Antifa thugs.

Neither were the BLM ones in the video I posted. Neither were the ones who were gassed so Trump could hold a bible upside down. Neither were the journalists who were attacked at many protests, including peaceful ones. Neither were the likes of the elderly man who got left to bleed from his ears after police shoved him on the ground and walked away. Neither were so many of those who police escalated situations on.

Yes it matters. Fight the police, refuse to obey their instructions and make threatening moves. You're going to have a bad outcome. The while sequence of events was dictated by Blake's actions. At any point prior to being shot, he could have simply stopped, and he wouldn't have been shot. He is entirely the author of his own misfortune.

Sure, a bad outcome, like being arrested or charged.
    A "bad outcome" shouldnt be death or paralysis.

Give me your worst case scenario for what could have happened if this cop hadnt shot him at the car door?

Sure, a bad outcome, like being arrested or charged.
    A "bad outcome" shouldnt be death or paralysis.

Give me your worst case scenario for what could have happened if this cop hadnt shot him at the car door?

He uses his weapon against a cop, or the kids in the car. Or perhaps he drives off with them and gets into a wreck as the police would have to pursue.

What point do you feel lethal force is authorised? Should the police wait until he attacks them and causes injury?

He got a gun and managed to shoot one of the cops.

Woman on RTE radio there saying a relation of hers is a cop in America and in the last 3 weeks in his area 7 cops have been shot. Maybe that's accurate maybe its not. But they do face significant dangers in their job. Which is why it's so important to comply with their directions.

I'm not sure what level of risk people expect the cops to tolerate. I'd imagine yourself and many others posting here wouldn't let a big strong man like that reach the door either.

He got a gun and managed to shoot one of the cops.

Woman on RTE radio there saying a relation of hers is a cop in America and in the last 3 weeks in his area 7 cops have been shot. Maybe that's accurate maybe its not. But they do face significant dangers in their job. Which is why it's so important to comply with their directions.

I'm not sure what level of risk people expect the cops to tolerate. I'd imagine yourself and many others posting here wouldn't let a big strong man like that reach the door either.

But where is he getting this gun from? One of the cops or the car?

If its the car, then why not just shoot everyone at every traffic stop, in case they have a gun?

If its from the cop, then maybe dont stand so close to him until the situation is under control? Especially if you have your gun in your hand and there are multiple other officers around who are free to draw their weapons without fear of them being taken?

But where is he getting this gun from? One of the cops or the car?

If its the car, then why not just shoot everyone at every traffic stop, in case they have a gun?

If its from the cop, then maybe dont stand so close to him until the situation is under control? Especially if you have your gun in your hand and there are multiple other officers around who are free to draw their weapons without fear of them being taken?

The guy was being arrested and ordered to stop. He ran for the car door. It's not the same as a routine traffic stop.

Yes there are dodgy cops. The guy who knelt on George Floyd's neck was one. But are we going to have riotous mayhem everytime a black man is shot by cops now regardless of the danger he was posing. Its starting to look like that.

Well I guess that's the thing. "Regardless of the danger he was posing" is yet to be defined, what danger was he posing?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Well I guess that's the thing. "Regardless of the danger he was posing" is yet to be defined, what danger was he posing?

No danger then. Nothing to see here move along..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The guy was being arrested and ordered to stop. He ran for the car door. It's not the same as a routine traffic stop.

Yes there are dodgy cops. The guy who knelt on George Floyd's neck was one. But are we going to have riotous mayhem everytime a black man is shot by cops now regardless of the danger he was posing. Its starting to look like that.

If the video becomes public there is going to be protests more than likely. Dozens of black men will be shot where no video evidence exists so likely won't make national headlines

There were protests in my home town when Gardaí beat up two local men minding their own business.

Police brutality in any form should be protested against.

• Advertisement

He walked to the door, I didnt see anyone running anywhere?

If someone breaks a red light and refuses to stop (as happens all the time in the US) do you think shooting them is appropriate?

Do you honestly see no other (less lethal) course of action for the police in this scenario?

The police dont and shouldnt have the right to shoot first and ask questions later, you'll note that the white 17 year old who murdered 2 people wasnt stopped, questioned or ever approached as he walked down the street with a rifle...

I guess he wasnt a threat though, right?

What danger was this man *actually* posing to anyone though? What danger necessitated him being shot 7 times by one officer who was within touching distance of him? Why did no other officers fire? Why did only 1 other officer have his weapon drawn if there was so much danger being posed?

No danger then. Nothing to see here move along..

I didn't say that either, it's very tough to have a discussion when people are so extreme in their views and hysterical.

I asked you a simple question, how much danger was the suspect posing in this situation? Was lethal force (which was surely the intent considering the officer fired 7 bullets point blank) an appropriate response?

There are degrees of danger, I'm just asking you to define what you think the danger the man was posing going on the information the officers had at the time? There are times when lethal force is appropriate and times when it is not obviously, surely defining how much danger this particular suspect posed is a big part of whether the use of lethal force was acceptable.

Edit: would you have been critical of the police if they had gunned down the 17 year old who had just shot some people and was walking down the street with his assault rifle?

He walked to the door, I didnt see anyone running anywhere?

If someone breaks a red light and refuses to stop (as happens all the time in the US) do you think shooting them is appropriate?

Do you honestly see no other (less lethal) course of action for the police in this scenario?

The police dont and shouldnt have the right to shoot first and ask questions later, you'll note that the white 17 year old who murdered 2 people wasnt stopped, questioned or ever approached as he walked down the street with a rifle...

I guess he wasnt a threat though, right?

What danger was this man *actually* posing to anyone though? What danger necessitated him being shot 7 times by one officer who was within touching distance of him? Why did no other officers fire? Why did only 1 other officer have his weapon drawn if there was so much danger being posed?

Well given the fact he was up on a warrant for sexual assault, with previous incidents of fighting police, combined with the fact that the police were called because he had broken in to a woman's house, digitally penetrated her and stole her car, I'd say it's a reasonable assumption to make that he posed a danger. Couple that to him fighting police again prior to getting shot.

I asked you a simple question, how much danger was the suspect posing in this situation? Was lethal force (which was surely the intent considering the officer fired 7 bullets point blank) an appropriate response?

To play devils advocate, how did the cops know there was no gun or knife in the car? According to the police Union (not trusted source) he had one of the cops in a headlock prior to this engagement and had at least 1 outstanding warrant for sexual assault so either way he was going into custody. I just read a cnn article and they were short of saying was he was dropping off flowers to sick children after helping a granny across the road. Complete whitewash. No wonder there is so much push back from the right. They see a criminal, a sex offender none the less, was shot trying to get a weapon, the narrative is set so they won't change their mind on that, justice was served, now all these lefties are burning down the city.

http://https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/25/us/who-is-jacob-blake-trnd/index.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/08/28/907316697/police-union-in-kenosha-wis-provide-account-of-jacob-blake-shooting?t=1598888089064

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FrostyJack wrote: »
    To play devils advocate, how did the cops know there was no gun or knife in the car? According to the police Union (not trusted source) he had one of the cops in a headlock prior to this engagement and had at least 1 outstanding warrant for sexual assault so either way he was going into custody. I just read a cnn article and they were short of saying was he was dropping off flowers to sick children after helping a granny across the road. Complete whitewash. No wonder there is so much push back from the right. They see a criminal, a sex offender none the less, was shot trying to get a weapon, the narrative is set so they won't change their mind on that, justice was served, now all these lefties are burning down the city.

http://https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/25/us/who-is-jacob-blake-trnd/index.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/08/28/907316697/police-union-in-kenosha-wis-provide-account-of-jacob-blake-shooting?t=1598888089064

You don't kill someone for something they have the potential to do. We don't live in the world of Minority Report.

The Police in america believe in Schrodinger's black man. A black man is both armed and unarmed until you put 7 bullets into their back.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You don't kill someone for something they have the potential to do. We don't live in the world of Minority Report.

How much "potential" could it take for someone to pick up a gun and turn and shoot? 1 second, 5 seconds, a minute? In the US there is always potential. I am not saying that if Jacob was white he would have been given the benefit of the doubt, but to say he couldn't have done nothing or there was no danger is laughable. I am sure you can scroll through liveleak enough and see dash cam footage of cops being shot or do some decent firearms training you would know there is next to no time to react. It is like people saying that they would just block a pro fighters punch. Walter Mitty stuff. The problems started before the video, the cops let it get out of control and Jacob was clearly not of sound mind, a recipe for disaster. Did he deserve to be shot, no probably not, but we are looking at hindsight arm chair quarterbacking. Unfortunately the cops don't wear body cams so that would have given a better insight to what happened.

I didn't say that either, it's very tough to have a discussion when people are so extreme in their views and hysterical.

There are degrees of danger, I'm just asking you to define what you think the danger the man was posing going on the information the officers had at the time? There are times when lethal force is appropriate and times when it is not obviously, surely defining how much danger this particular suspect posed is a big part of whether the use of lethal force was acceptable.

Edit: would you have been critical of the police if they had gunned down the 17 year old who had just shot some people and was walking down the street with his assault rifle?

I've laid that out numerous times in this thread I'm not going over it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

There seems to be an awful lot of video footage of cops shooting black people, or using excessive physical force and lots of examples of white people doing a lot more and not being met by such violent reactions.

This problem is compounded by an openly racist president stoking racial tensions. (if you disagree with this statement, I don't know what else to say to you).

The reality is that in a country where guns are so readily available, every call out for cops can be their last. That I understand, and it is one of the reasons why being able to have guns so accessible in the US remains a complete mystery to me and is insanely illogical.

Trump wants a race war. Conway said that the more violence there is, the better it is for him. He is retweeting videos of black men assaulting people which have nothing to do with BLM or what is going on in cities. He is encouraging convoys of MAGA followers with assault rifles to travel to any protests. He has already defended the 17 year old who shot two people dead.

It is only going to get worse. This is his only strategy for re-election.

I've laid that out numerous times in this thread I'm not going over it again.

Could you maybe link me to one or two of these posts then maybe instead so I can read them for myself to understand your point of view? Not being smart, just figure it would be easier than having to search through the whole thread and maybe miss things. If you could link me to the pertinent posts or ones you feel are the clearest indicator of the level of the danger you believe this suspect presented given the info the officers had at the time. Thanks

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    There seems to be an awful lot of video footage of cops shooting black people, or using excessive physical force and lots of examples of white people doing a lot more and not being met by such violent reactions.

This problem is compounded by an openly racist president stoking racial tensions. (if you disagree with this statement, I don't know what else to say to you).

The reality is that in a country where guns are so readily available, every call out for cops can be their last. That I understand, and it is one of the reasons why being able to have guns so accessible in the US remains a complete mystery to me and is insanely illogical.

Trump wants a race war. Conway said that the more violence there is, the better it is for him. He is retweeting videos of black men assaulting people which have nothing to do with BLM or what is going on in cities. He is encouraging convoys of MAGA followers with assault rifles to travel to any protests. He has already defended the 17 year old who shot two people dead.

It is only going to get worse. This is his only strategy for re-election.

You're only seeing a snapshot of all interactions though, with a deliberate aim to strengthen the narrative that police are overly violent towards black people. There's ~10 million police interactions per annum iirc, with ~1000 shootings. The vast majority of those are justified, good shoots. You see one questionable event and a city burns. Meanwhile 20 people get shot over a weekend in certain cities, and nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement