Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Portuguese Grand Prix at Portimao next weekend. Great to see it back at a new location, even if it is a one-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Portuguese Grand Prix at Portimao next weekend. Great to see it back at a new location, even if it is a one-off.

As it stands it's a one off but it is looking increasingly likely that the first part of next season will be European based.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder if it'll take Brazil's slot on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I'm loving all the new tracks this season, it's a nice breath of fresh air, even if Hamilton is dominating I'm loving it. I hope to God Brazil isn't changed with a new track, the one that have now is always a Top 3 track for me, it's so fun and iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Leaked’ draft calendar for 2021

March 14 – Bahrain
    March 28 – Vietnam
    April 11 – China
    April 25 – Azerbaijan
    May 2 – Netherlands
    May 9 – Spain
    May 23 – Monaco
    June 6 – Canada
    June 20 – Austria
    June 27 – France
    July 11 – Britain
    July 25 – Hungary
    August 29 – Belgium
    September 5 – Italy
    September 19 – Russia
    September 26 – Singapore
    October 10 – Japan
    October 24 – Australia
    November 7 – United States
    November 14 – Mexico
    November 28 – Saudi Arabia
    December 5 – Abu Dhabi

No new tracks for next year and no imola, mugello or portima.
    Also no Germany or Brasil.
    Australia in autumn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Harika wrote: »

No new tracks for next year and no imola, mugello or portima.
    Australia in autumn

That's cool. The likes of Mugello and portimao were never going to be on the calendar if they're planning on having crowds.

But I'd say the chances of large crowds are remote for next season. Nothing will be different in March 2021 so capacity crowds are impossible. Given the rolling nature of infection spikes, lockdowns and reducing infections, some races are bound to be cancelled. The city races are probably a complete write-off. So we could see them going back to Mugello and portimao anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's an optimistic schedule and has as much chance of proceeding unchanged as the initial 2020 schedule had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The Saudi Arabian one is a surprise addition. Not a great time to be going to an oil rich country with questionable human rights record.

recyclebin wrote: »
    The Saudi Arabian one is a surprise addition. Not a great time to be going to an oil rich country with questionable human rights record.

Now's as good a time as any. They'll pay to host the race, job's a good'n. I really, really don't expect business to do the right thing. I only expect them to try to make money - and Saudi Arabia has money

I came across this site recently. Really nerdy statistics on each weekend.

Really fascinating to see Hulk was the fastest in a load of mini sectors in Eifel quali. I wonder if they gave him a very low downforce setup to help him overtake when they knew he wouldn't qualify very well without any practice.

https://f1bythenumbers.com/2020-eifel-gp-quali-fastest-per-micro-sector/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Harika wrote: »

March 28 – Vietnam

May 2 – Netherlands

November 28 – Saudi Arabia

Three new tracks for next year and no imola, mugello or portima.
    Australia in autumn[/QUOTE

FYP

Yes new tracks next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Anyone looking for tickets to this weekend's GP in Portimao? Got two sat here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Really fascinating to see Hulk was the fastest in a load of mini sectors in Eifel quali. I wonder if they gave him a very low downforce setup to help him overtake when they knew he wouldn't qualify very well without any practice.

That looks mad.
    Looks very much like a low downforce setup - hulk is way down in cornering speeds but what surprises me is how early in the straights he is again fastest even with the hopeless apex speed.

mickdw wrote: »
    That looks mad.
    Looks very much like a low downforce setup - hulk is way down in cornering speeds but what surprises me is how early in the straights he is again fastest even with the hopeless apex speed.

It's really interesting analysis. I was really surprised to see Magnussen fastest on corner entry to a few corners. Is he a mad late breaker or what?

Here's the same analysis of the race and Hulk was well up there on the straights too.
    https://f1bythenumbers.com/2020-eifel-gp-race-fastest-per-micro-sector/

And here's an analysis of lap times per lap for the top 10 drivers. It shows the variability of each drivers lap times. They tend to be separated by pitatops. So they get faster after each pitstop. Look at how consistent Hamilton and verstappen are in each stint. Each stint is a discreet cluster.

https://f1bythenumbers.com/2020-eifel-gp-race-pace/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

A lap of the track at Portimao:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Seems to mean very little from the data provided. We could find all other drivers broke later in the corner before and werent up to full speedby that stage. You would need to get everybodies micro sector time and look for huge discrepencies. I think the Hulkenburg narrative in the media and on the forums at the moment will look at a traffic light and decide it means Hulkenbsrg is great.

He was in Strolls car, that is the Force India that has been getting the upgrades and priority since Perez took two weeks off for covid Stroll went in front on points and the team said this is why he got the upgrades.

Perez is now back in front of the two. So Im guessing he has the third fastest car in a straightline on the grid so a few micro sectors is expected. Hamilton was a few seconds a lap faster than him so there must be some discrepenecies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

om nom nom

That's caused me a gentleman's problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Perez to williams with Russell losing out is a murmur on socual media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Delighted if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ELM327 wrote:
    That's caused me a gentleman's problem!

Is that really a problem!

Some sound all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

And keep the underwhelming Latiffi? Surely that can't be accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Top Dog wrote: »
    And keep the underwhelming Latiffi? Surely that can't be accurate?

He’s not thar far off Russell when it comes to race pace

Which means either Latifi is better than most think, or Russell isn’t as good as people think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

He’s not thar far off Russell when it comes to race pace

Which means either Latifi is better than most think, or Russell isn’t as good as people think

Russell's qualification pace is good but his race performances have been underwhelming tbh. I'd still be surprised that Williams would drop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Does Latifi's dad not still have a big chunk of money tied to Williams?

That's not a good move for anyone. Williams is a stepping stone for young drivers and a pay driver. Either a step I to the sport for a young driver or a step out for an old one. Nobody will look good in that car. Bottas went to Mercedes but that was back when the Williams was good.

Perez could be the pay driver at Williams instead of Latifi. He brings Carlos Slim money from Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I also wonder would binning George effect the Mercedes engine deal aswell.

Merc are set to supply 4 teams next year so probably wouldn't mind chopping the weakest team.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Does Latifi's dad not still have a big chunk of money tied to Williams?

That was back before williams was sold. He was suggested as a potential buyer. But they dont need him for that anymore and they certainly don’t need his son for his driving ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So Stroll did have Covid 19

• Advertisement

So Stroll did have Covid 19

What does that mean for hulk this weekend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement