Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm not renting, but I am buying. A lot. I buy them on the Google Play US store, then watch them on the Youtube app on my telly. I also got a US-based friend to sort me out with a Movies Anywhere account, to which I connected Google Play, iTunes, and Microsoft Movies.

The benefit of Movies Anywhere is I can keep my eye out for digital sales (Microsoft has them most often in my experience), buy them on whatever service I want, and then they'll be available on all the other services too (Paramount movies aside). A recent example is there was a sale on the Mission Impossible series (in 4K) so I snapped them all up for less than €30.

My digital library is over 100 movies at this stage, most of those bought in the last year.

As for why — well I haven't really been able to go to the cinema for a few years thanks to having a child. He's 4 now, and in those 4 years the only time I've been to the cinema was for Little Women (while he was at creche!) and Gemini Man (while I was on a business trip in the US, because I wanted to experience the HFR thing).

Combine that with the unpleasant parts of cinema-going (even at the best of times) and I've completely lost the appetite for it. I'm used to waiting until VOD releases before seeing most films, and I've learned not to care too much about spoilers. Plus we have an excellent 4K TV at home which largely negates the visual advantage of going to a cinema (although I was heavily contemplating going out to see Tenet in IMAX).

The films I most enjoy are low-budget indies which don't have a large cinema window, so I generally don't have to wait long. And a large number of things I enjoy are going straight to streaming these days too. There's so little to draw me to the cinema.

Well I must admit that the cinema had lost its charm for me a bit in the past 3 years or so. No particular reason other than that I never went to the cinema for the shared experience so as I got older, having to deal with show times around work, ads and the very odd asshole just became unnecessary nuisances for me. I've been a bit disillusioned with Hollywood recently.

I've also just invested in a 4k set up and starting to use services such as google play so I'll see how I get on.

The only thing I struggle with is that I do like to give my patronage to local outlets, from the local coffee shop to the local cinema. I'd hate to see my local cinema go under so if I can contribute to keeping it open I will. I mean the second our local outlets and sports clubs start to shut down we're in trouble. Both kids and adults need some distraction from the sh1tiness of life these days.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

gmisk wrote: »
    I was in the lighthouse a few times when it re opened.
    They were doing a brilliant job.
    Half the rows gone and two seats on either side of each booking.

I miss the cinema more than the pub tbh :(

Same here, it makes no odds to me that pubs are closed because I'd rarely visit one at the best of times. I do realise the pub means a lot more to some people than it does to me. I feel the same way about the cinema that a lot of people feel about the pub. I miss my after work on Friday cinema visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Same here, it makes no odds to me that pubs are closed because I'd rarely visit one at the best of times. I do realise the pub means a lot more to some people than it does to me. I feel the same way about the cinema that a lot of people feel about the pub. I miss my after work on Friday cinema visits.

Im the same. Im working and studying so my week days are full on, Im always surrounded by people, theres never a moment to myself. So when the weekend comes I love to slip off by myself to the local cinema, grab some popcorn, kick back and relax. Its my idea of heaven and its something I really miss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I saw this notice at the start of a recent AVClub review and have seen similar elsewhere:
    Note: The writer of this review watched Let Him Go from home. Before making the decision to see it—or any other film—in a movie theater, please consider the health risks involved. Here’s an interview on the matter with scientific experts.

I wonder if the writer/publication would still feel this way if there was no VOD and their livelihood depended on cinemas being open and surviving?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cinema re-openings:

IFI from Tues 1st December
    Lighthouse from Fri 4th December

Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Odeon Cinemas here has launched a new website. I can't find any dates about when they reopen for Level 3.

I still can't find the news about Stillorgan being open because there has been no showtimes on it for a while.

Odeon Cinemas have 8 movies + 1 concert film available for viewing in their cinemas that are open.

Sinister 2
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    Two by Two Overboard
    Katherine Jenkins: Christmas Spectacular
    A Muppet Christmas Carol
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Wolfwalkers + Q&A
    Paddington
    Elf

Odeon have a new app to book your tickets & seats whenever they reopen once the restrictions are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oooh I've been dying to see Wolfwalkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Omniplex reopen in Limerick (and elsewhere) Friday 4th. Still wary of going, but they're showing Wolfwalkers so will probably go Monday or Tuesday next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Odeon Cinemas here has launched a new website. I can't find any dates about when they reopen for Level 3.

I still can't find the news about Stillorgan being open because there has been no showtimes on it for a while.

Odeon Cinemas have 8 movies + 1 concert film available for viewing in their cinemas that are open.
    1. Sinister 2
    2. Home Alone 1 & 2
    3. Two by Two Overboard
    4. Katherine Jenkins: Christmas Spectacular
    5. A Muppet Christmas Carol
    6. It's a Wonderful Life
    7. Wolfwalkers + Q&A
    8. Paddington
    9. Elf

Odeon have a new app to book your tickets & seats whenever they reopen once the restrictions are over.
    1. No interest
    2. Own them
    3. No Interest
    4. On Prime
    5. Own it
    6. Own it
    7. On Apple TV (without the Q&A)
    8. On Prime
    9. Own It

No cinema for me
    Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Oooh I've been dying to see Wolfwalkers.
    Niska wrote: »
    Omniplex reopen in Limerick (and elsewhere) Friday 4th. Still wary of going, but they're showing Wolfwalkers so will probably go Monday or Tuesday next.

It's on Apple TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

OU812 wrote: »

It's on Apple TV

Just checked, release date is 11th Dec. And 1 month sub is less than a cinema ticket. May not be going to cinema...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mank and Wolfwalkers are both out on streaming platforms within days.

I nonetheless can’t wait to see them both on the big screen this week :) Nothing like that experience for me, and cinemas have measures in place that to me feel substantially safer and more robust than what I’ve seen in the likes of restaurants.

Niska wrote: »
    Just checked, release date is 11th Dec. And 1 month sub is less than a cinema ticket. May not be going to cinema...

And there’s some great stuff on there to fill that month.

I'll be going on Friday week, as my local cinema is reopening that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

branie2 wrote: »
    I'll be going on Friday week, as my local cinema is reopening that day

My local Cinema is closed for good.

It was a bit of a kip so I have mixed feelings.:)

Sorry to hear that; Hopefully a new one will replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Was pretty surprised at the films Omniplex picked. Kinda like they don't want people with some of them tbh.

Lots of films that were released between August and November, and the bring it back films are a poor choice. I reckon Love Actually and Nightmare before Christmas might do ok crowd wise but nothing there that would really tempt me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I was in the cinemas before the last lockdown. Saw Jurassic Park, Bill & Ted 3, Dirty Dancing. For the most part it's fine and the measures in place are good, but when it comes to assigning seats they dropped the ball once or twice.

Odeon would randomly place you anywhere - you could end up sitting right in front of the screen - which is far from ideal. Another time someone was place sitting beside me after I was randomly assigned. It was just a bit of a mess and hopefully they figured that one out.

I will probably go and see Home Alone as its a great Christmas film and would love to see it on the big screen, not sure I did when I was a kid.

Vue re-opening from Friday 11th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Saint Maud out in the cinema this weekend, dying to get back to the cinema so anything would've done, but that I specifically want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Vue re-opening from Friday 11th December.

Feck sake 🙁

Why so slow?

They have had a whole week to prepare to reopen.

They should be reopening next week not in 2 weeks time.

If it was the wet pubs they would have been open the very first day they were allowed.

Cinema's should be the same.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Booked for the Jack Charlon movie on Monday and very excited to be getting back to the cinema. I'll enjoy it as often as I can in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

AMKC wrote: »
    Feck sake 🙁

Why so slow?

I'm assuming they're taking a while because they know that opening will probably end up costing them more money than remaining shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm assuming they're taking a while because they know that opening will probably end up costing them more money than remaining shut.

Ye your probably right unfortunatly.

Rearing to go to the cinema to see a good film myself but them not opening straight away means unless something decent comes out I will just wait till Wonder Women 1984 is out before I see anything.

The cinemas should have re-opened with Tenet and whatever other big films were out. Lots of us still not seen that. They could have had that out today hell yesterday even and got decent crowds in if advertised right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Wonder Women 1984 confirmed for Irish cinemas. That’s great news. Really hope I can get vaccinated in January to go see it.

WB have just announced they're to release their entire 2021 slate to HBO Max.

We'll most likely still get cinema releases here, but with the level of piracy this will produce, you have to ask yourself if it'll be worth their while opening.

Personally, I'll be looking into setting up a VPN & HBO max sub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OU812 wrote: »
    WB have just announced they're to release their entire 2021 slate to HBO Max.

We'll most likely still get cinema releases here, but with the level of piracy this will produce, you have to ask yourself if it'll be worth their while opening.

Personally, I'll be looking into setting up a VPN & HBO max sub.

Seems a weird decision really, given as you say the immediate piracy will hurt cinema tickets in the countries that will still see a theatrical release - certainly the wonder woman sequel will ask questions towards that theory.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Seems a weird decision really, given as you say the immediate piracy will hurt cinema tickets in the countries that will still see a theatrical release - certainly the wonder woman sequel will ask questions towards that theory.

Not a weird decision at all.

It's not piracy, I'll be paying for the sub, just as I would if they offered it here, I'm just accessing it differently to their usual subscriber.

I have a decent home cinema here, large 4k screen, atmos speakers & decent broadband. I've spent close to €2.5k on movies this year so far., I don't smoke & rarely drink, so that's my thing.

I'm got someone in my immediate family in a very high risk category, so I wouldn't take the risk to potentially infect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

kerplun k wrote: »
    Wonder Women 1984 confirmed for Irish cinemas. That’s great news. Really hope I can get vaccinated in January to go see it.

I think you might be in luck, the official list from government will read something like this for priorities
    1 - Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
    2 - All those aged 80 and over. Frontline health and social care workers
    3 - All those aged 75 and over
    4.- People who want to go to the cinema.
    5 - All those aged 70 and over. Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
    6 - All those aged 65 and over
    7 - All individuals aged 16-64 with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

kerplun k wrote: »

You don't need to get vaccinated to go to the cinema.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement