Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

The problem I think lies with when you watched Season 1 and if you watched Mad Men.

People who, like me, started it as it aired had problems featuring another show with an enigmatic leading man with a dark and secret past. It was on the same network, in the same time slot and felt derivative. Like a bad photocopy. You could watch it and imagine the executives think "Hmm. What if we had Don Draper but it's computers instead of advertising."

I'm sure if you watch it removed from all that baggage, it would play differently.

I still found on rewatching that Season 1 was infinitely weaker than the rest but that's personal preference. Everyone is different. I still enjoy the pilot and the back end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Aye, its over 3 years since man men ended so it had no impact in me watching it. Plus watching all seasons the first time together means you haven't forgotten any aspects of the story like that can happen with you are waiting a year for a new season.

I think a better name for the series would have helped as well, it was kinda putting me off watching it until so many here was giving it the thumbs up

Something shorter or snappier like mutiny or just catch fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Do not watch the documentary on nasa called nasa: journey through space if you want to actually learn about nasa. Dear Jesus what amateur outfit produced this ? There are basic things that are wrong. Clearly nobody checked the words that the narrator spoke because Neil young didn’t land on the moon on Apollo 11 but apparently he did according to this. That’s the most glaring issue but there are things that annoy me as someone who has a huge interest in this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Is Halt and catch fire gone from tomorrow and if it is,is it gone from like just after midnight?,ive 6 episodes left to finish on season 4 and i wont get a chance to watch them until tomorrow evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Leaves Prime in 27 hours from what I can see which I assume means midnight tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Started watching Upload and I'm really enjoying it (although I am only 2 episodes in). It's set in a future where you can upload your consciousness to an digital afterlife.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Started watching Upload and I'm really enjoying it (although I am only 2 episodes in). It's set in a future where you can upload your consciousness to an digital afterlife.

I watched that a few months back. I really loved it initially but by the end I was a but meh about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Leaves Prime in 27 hours from what I can see which I assume means midnight tomorrow.

Feck sake, I just started watching this, is it popping up on Netflix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Drumpot wrote: »
    Feck sake, I just started watching this, is it popping up on Netflix ?

I don't think Netflix Ireland has any AMC shows so I wouldn't hold out hope. Stuff is constantly leaving Prime and popping up a couple of weeks later so that might happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't think Netflix Ireland has any AMC shows so I wouldn't hold out hope. Stuff is constantly leaving Prime and popping up a couple of weeks later so that might happen...

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are AMC, aren't they? And it has had Mad Men in the past as well.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are AMC, aren't they? And it has had Mad Men in the past as well.

Sorry, you're right. Scratch what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

S.M.B. wrote: »

Where can you see that?

Where can you see that?
    The info is available from this view of the show details which I accessed via the 'Expiring from Prime in the Next 30 Days' filter on the website.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Search/dp/B074XFBN17/

No idea why this information isn't surfaced within other app views.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Managed to get the last episode of the first season in last night, that's something I suppose.

Flesh and Bone - exceptional ballet drama.

I finished Halt and Catch Fire last night and now I don't know what to do with my life. An incredible show, I can't believe I never heard of it until recently.

It's been great to make the recommendation for Halt and Catch Fire and to see so many people get sucked into it like I did. I'm quite sad I'm finished it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Both seasons of Fleabag appear to be up at the moment. It seemed to always be one or the other for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Amazon want £1.89 per episode of Halt and catch fire!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Amazon want £1.89 per episode of Halt and catch fire!

Somebody must have recommended it to people, got a buzz going and now Amazon see it is so popular they want to make more money out of it. Remember folks don't recommend.

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    Somebody must have recommended it to people, got a buzz going and now Amazon see it is so popular they want to make more money out of it. Remember folks don't recommend.

This is one of those posts where I'm pretty sure you're taking the piss but then I've been reading the Covid thread in the conspiracy theory forum out of morbid curiosity and now I don't know when someone's been serious or not anymore...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This same thing happened with Justified recently; it disappeared then came back a couple of weeks later. Stuff like this just happens, AFAIK it's usually just a case of lapsed rights. The streaming services sign X months to broadcast something. Simple as, Amazon are fairly Machiavellian but wouldn't give them that much credit. Such is the life of online streaming really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This is one of those posts where I'm pretty sure you're taking the piss but then I've been reading the Covid thread in the conspiracy theory forum out of morbid curiosity and now I don't know when someone's been serious or not anymore...

For the record I was taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I got through 3 and a half seasons of HACF in about 10 days before it disappeared.

Decent week for new film additions (in the uk anyway).

1917 and The Personal History of David Copperfield last Friday and Parasite this coming Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I cant believe I started halt and catch fire not realising it was leaving prime, disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

recyclops wrote: »
    I cant believe I started halt and catch fire not realising it was leaving prime, disaster

Give it a few weeks though. Titles often leave and are added back in again shortly after or maybe it's moving to Netflix instead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Give it a few weeks though. Titles often leave and are added back in again shortly after or maybe it's moving to Netflix instead.....

Hopefully ... I am halfway through Season 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Remember reading something here where if you search the title you can check if you're in the UK or Ireland selection of Amazon Prime video? I only remember if you're seeing Fleabag Season 1 you're in the UK/bigger selection..I can't remember the other title.

Anyway I do feel there's quite a few that's gone, or maybe I've been thrown on the Ireland/outside UK section..I'm gonna go back on my previous watchlist that I screenshotted and check.

• Advertisement

camz09 wrote: »
    Remember reading something here where if you search the title you can check if you're in the UK or Ireland selection of Amazon Prime video? I only remember if you're seeing Fleabag Season 1 you're in the UK/bigger selection..I can't remember the other title.

Anyway I do feel there's quite a few that's gone, or maybe I've been thrown on the Ireland/outside UK section..I'm gonna go back on my previous watchlist that I screenshotted and check.

Fleabag Season 1 is on the Irish prime now so that won't help you.

For ages they only had Season 2 and 3 of Future Man but they've put up Season 1 so I started watching it last night. Very, very stupid but I couldn't help laughing at it.

Advertisement