Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Javon Tasty Manger

Rashers wrote: »
    Definitely needs to be investigated. I feel it in me bones that there's an interesting story there.

I'll try get down again tomorrow and take some more photos of the area.

The weather was just too bad to stick around this evening, plus me and Kevin were enroute to see the UFC 93 at the new O2 and were in a hurry to get out of the foul weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wow it's changed a lot since I drank in there. I'd say it's changed inside too. Last time I had a pint there (
    ) it was all plush seating and a quiet shop, a bit over priced though.

Thanks for that photo Wishbone. :)
    Actually Rashers, having been in the Welcome recently, I'd safely say it hasn't had a refit inside since you were last there, or certainly in the last 30 years.

Despite what people might think, judging by the outside of the place, it's not at all a rough shop and attracts a real mix of regulars, among them artists and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    As promised..

The plaque is behind the silver car..

And here we go, its exact location.
    That's a good one - I've never noticed it before and I must have been right beside it a few times when taking pictures of the old wool stores opposite it. Thanks Mairt.

(For anyone who doesn't know the location, it's beside the old hotel (subsequently the IR freight HQ) near the junction with Guild Street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I fell aleep just before it started, after looking foward to it since I first heard about it. I woke just as it was finishing.:mad:

If only I could guess what we can't mention here. :D

Begins with a T, ends with ENTS - nothing to do with camping

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

iMax wrote: »
    Begins with a T, ends with ENTS - nothing to do with camping

Thanks for trying but I'm still banjaxed. I suppose I'll have to hope for a repeat on the telly.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Curiouser and curiouser....

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/pc/cat/6239/display/13627471

seems from Googling to be some sort of memorial like the flowers at the roadside for remembering the departed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Hmmm, thats very interesting.,

Ive seen one around myself but i cant for the life of me remember where it is,.,

tricky D wrote: »
    Curiouser and curiouser....

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/pc/cat/6239/display/13627471

seems from Googling to be some sort of memorial like the flowers at the roadside for remembering the departed.

The plot thickens indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Call in an undertaker???

tricky D wrote: »
    Call in an undertaker???

Someone buy that man a pint!

• Advertisement

Someone buy that man a pint!

The Guinness narrow gauge tram from 1957 is on the way...

attachment.php?attachmentid=70700&stc=1&d=1232313968

Choo Choooooo

Mairt wrote: »
    The Guinness narrow gauge tram from 1957 is on the way...

Ahh I remember the time those little trains ran on the roads down at the Nth Wall. I think one ran from the old Point Depot over to Gouldings. If I'm not mistaken I think some of the rails are still embedded in one or two of the streets around the Nth Wall?

I remember them running in the area of Guinness too. And in particular the one that used to run from Guinness at (is it Victoria Quay?) across the street to John's Road and then it turned in at the side of Houston Station.

I remember them running in the area of Guinness too. And in particular the one that used to run from Guinness at (is it Victoria Quay?) across the street to John's Road and then it turned in at the side of Houston Station.

Here ya go..

September 1960.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70717&stc=1&d=1232317201

Not the same locomotive, but these are the narrow gauge tracks your thinking of at the exact location your talking about?.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the one that used to run from Guinness at (is it Victoria Quay?) across the street to John's Road and then it turned in at the side of Houston Station.
    Allow me! :)

The rails can be seen in this pic (presumably taken from the roof of Heuston Station) as the leave Guinness and cross Steeven's Lane (where the Red Luas now passes) and onto John's Road.

The tall building on the extreme right is the old Nurses' residence attached to Dr Steeven's hospital. I think it was demolished in the 1970s.

GuinnessSteevensLane.jpg

Thanks for those photos Mairt and Wish.

I'm scratching the head here now.... but I think that narrow gauge train from Gunness to Heuston was still running in the late '60s.... early '70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I cant believe I passed by this thread for so long. Fantastic pics,thanks to all who contributed them. I was struck,must have been 30 or so pages ago,with the pictures taken around the 70's and 80's and some comparisons from today,,of how clutter free the streets where. We seem to be bogged down with poles and cables and ads of all sizes now blocking the view. Being a baby in 65', I remember how some of how Dublin looked in the 70/80's, including two way traffic on the quays. Have to admit I'd prefare to look at an old run down tenament than some of the stuff hey put up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Here's one: A drive around the general Dublin 5 area in 1984. Shoddy quality, but a good view of Artane before the Rec was built, and I had no idea Peats had a branch in Donnycarney?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Does anyone have photos of the old wine merchants that used to be at the top of o'connell street, I think near where the ambassador is now. I had heard that it was a beautiful building, considered to be one of the nicest in the city but I've never been able to find an image of it.

Does anyone have photos of the old wine merchants that used to be at the top of o'connell street, I think near where the ambassador is now. I had heard that it was a beautiful building, considered to be one of the nicest in the city but I've never been able to find an image of it.

That was Gilbeys as far as I recall. If so it was a lovely building on the left side of O'Connell Street as you approached the Ambassador.

If I can locate a pic I'll definitely upload it... maybe someone will beat me to it with a bit of luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gilbeys.
    70797.jpg

• Advertisement

As we were in 1975.... some scenes of Dublin streets. And a bit of history too ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

spurious wrote: »
    Gilbeys.

So where exactly did this stand on o'connell street. It looks quite european, does anyone know why they knocked it?

Sorry if I'm harping on about this, I'm just surprised that they knocked so many potentially lovely buildings on the street and we were left with the likes of the eircom building, dublin bus etc instead of lovely old buildings like Gilbeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that looks like the present day garda station beside it so it may have been where the royal dublin hotel is today

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Here's an old aerial photo, does anybody recognise which part of Dublin it is?

3210729669_827dde8edf_b.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is it Collins Avenue at Whitehall?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hermy wrote: »
    Is it Collins Avenue at Whitehall?

+1

Jayus, what year is that?
    No sign of the Church

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Cocoon wrote: »
    Here's an old aerial photo, does anybody recognise which part of Dublin it is?

3210729669_827dde8edf_b.jpg
    Where did you get that one?
    Any more similar?
    (Am from the area, it's amazing to see it before they build the park, church, Kilmore, most of Lorcan, etc.
    What's the house on teh far right of the picture? is it still there?
    (To my mind i'm guessing it's in where the apartments are beside the Beaumont Drive Thru)

Ste.phen wrote: »
    What's the house on teh far right of the picture? is it still there?
    (To my mind i'm guessing it's in where the apartments are beside the Beaumont Drive Thru)
    Looking at http://maps.live.com it is still there in Grace Park Court.

Fascinating photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Exit wrote: »

P12291.jpg

P12292.jpg

P12295.jpg

P12296.jpg

So, some questions: What's up with the upside down Polish flags? What is the small building in the Christchurch pictures?

The red and white flags represent the flag of Monaco so the photos must have been taken around the time of the State Visit of Prince Rainier and Princess Grace to Ireland in June '61.

A colleague who worked near Christchurch back then thinks that the small redbrick building was a weighbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ollaetta wrote: »
    A colleague who worked near Christchurch back then thinks that the small redbrick building was a weighbridge.
    I thought more likely to be pump houses. I'll try and ask someone in Waterworks if they can shed any light.

1961, the year of my birth. I'm studying the pics trying to spot pregnant women.
    [Cue 'Yore Ma' jokes] :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement