Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny's/Primark

• 14-02-2008 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just decided to start a thread with what people really think of Penny's. It clearly has some followers as every time you go into town those brown bags are everywhere!!
    I have gotten some lovely things from Penny's especially bags & scarves and not forgetting there socks !!!!

Whats your opinion of Pennys?
    What would you buy in there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Awful quality.

May be ok for bags and scarves but I wouldn't if the colour in them ran in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

the first time i went i was like OMFG THIS PLACE IS 'MAZIN LOYK!!

but every since its just been a handy place for Boxers and socks

They usta do some nice hoodies, but havent seen ne lately

Hopefully they upgrade/branch out and open Euros!

I think it is really good if your a shopaholic, because you have a binge and afford to eat after.

I haven't been in pennys in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭indiana jones

was in oxford street for the opening of the big primark store there which as you know is the same as pennys. there was a huge que there and a stampede when the doors were opened and people got hurt. ... so yea, its popular. its getting like h & m was for cheap yet cool clothes.but still its throw away clothes. you are never going to have anything from pennys for years and years because its such good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Walk into Penney's and you see that it generally attracts a certain type of customer. The kind who doesn't think anything of wearing pastel colours with their bright white addidas 'trainer's.

It's fine for boxers, cheap work shirts and socks, but that really is about the height of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

Awful quality.

Similar items in Dunnes are worse quality and cost more!!!

I love Pennys!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

sudzs wrote: »
    Similar items in Dunnes are worse quality and cost more!!!

Dunnes has better quality, I find Penneys clothes to have a weird cut to them.

Dunnes may be a bit dearer but its not going to break the bank plus its Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like Penneys for Jeans and cheap work slacks etc. Im a Guy so far less fussy and i think we have a better choice in Penneys as we do not need to follow fasion trends etc.
    Heatons is the same, although Heatons is just that little bit better in quality and the odd euro more expensive sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

Dunnes has better quality

I find a lot of stuff from Dunnes get unravelling loose threads after a few washes where a similar item from Pennys will not.

I find Penneys clothes to have a weird cut to them.

Well they fit me allright!!!! :p;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I buy all my work clothes in penneys. They are great for underwear too and accessories/jewellery. Things go out of fashion so quickly id rather spend 10 euro on something than spend loads and only wear a few times. I always get complimented on my work clothes - if you can co ordinate clothes well and know what suits you, you do not need expensive clothes to look good. Id rather spend money on my skin and body than on clothes as even the most expensive beautiful clothes wont look well on a bad hanger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smurphyk

Pennys is alright for underwear or tights and leggings but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ggirl

I agree with Sugar Drunk - it isn't what you wear it is how you wear it! I love clothes and shopping but have a limited budget so find Penneys is ideal for updating my wardrobe without breaking the bank. I am virtually the only one of my friends who shops there regularly because others think Penneys isn't good enough quality etc. Yet you wouldn't believe how often I am complimented on what I am wearing - and people never fail to be amazed to find out where the outfits came from. It makes me laugh that after years of this happening these girls still don't think Penney's is any good. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to treat myself to Marc Jacobs or Stella McCartney but since I can't I have learned to mix Penney's with other high street stuff and be happy with how I look. As I said, it is not what you wear but how you wear it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smurphyk

ggirl wrote: »
    I agree with Sugar Drunk - it isn't what you wear it is how you wear it! I love clothes and shopping but have a limited budget so find Penneys is ideal for updating my wardrobe without breaking the bank. I am virtually the only one of my friends who shops there regularly because others think Penneys isn't good enough quality etc. Yet you wouldn't believe how often I am complimented on what I am wearing - and people never fail to be amazed to find out where the outfits came from. It makes me laugh that after years of this happening these girls still don't think Penney's is any good. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to treat myself to Marc Jacobs or Stella McCartney but since I can't I have learned to mix Penney's with other high street stuff and be happy with how I look. As I said, it is not what you wear but how you wear it!

Agreed, Its not what you wear its how you wear it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

socks and tights etc are grand, they go threadbare after a few wears, so I have started buying more expensive bits and pieces as they do last longer..but their bags, jewellery are all fine , cheap and cheerful..it's a pity their shoes and boots aren't better quality, I love where they are going with the ankle boots etc but they don't last long in this weather!! I suppose it is true you get what you pay for!
    tshirts and string tops are again, cheap and cheerful. Actually got one pair of jeans in there for nine euro, I needed a pair for work and didnt want to wear my good ones at work, and was quite surprised that these fitted, and actually got a few compliments! I was stunned!
    I do love Penneys, but you can't beat H+M....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Yeah, I kinda like Penney's ... usually for bags, socks, scarfs, etc. Although I find after buying a bag and using it for a while, the quality on the inside of the bag isn't great, resulting in the fabric tearing quite easily. Other than that, they're ok, particularly for stuff for a night out if you fancy something new and colourful. :D

As for the rest ...

Dunnes - Yeah I like it ... a lil better than Penney's sometimes. :)

H&M - Don't like them at all !!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

Don't like penny's stuff at all. Think the quality is really bad and they never state where the clothes are made. They are great for younger people who might want fashionable rather than quality/longevity but for work prefer Next/Zara/Monsoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Penneys is fine for socks and tights but their clothes stretch after a wash. Their underwear falls apart too. Their boots are horrendous- I had blisters all over my feet from wearing them for 1 day. The soles on them are practically made of tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Dreadful for sizes I find, it's like they're catering for fat little umpa lumpa's! Their shirts are like tents on me and as for their slacks, seriously, its the only shop I've ever been in where I've found a 34" waist with a 30" leg! *boggle* Any other shop and it'd be the other way around, i.e. the right way :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I only go to shops that provide a pleasant shopping experience - good/unobtrusive music, helpful staff, tidy and well-laid out, uncrowded, unusual clothes and so on - so Penny's is out. Anytime I've gone in there, I've turned at the doors because it's so unpleasant inside. Also, I'd rather save up for better quality clothes that I really appreciate than buy poor-quality cheap stuff. You'd swear there was a fashion famine on the way you see people frantucally buying because there's a three for two offer on or some such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Cheap nasty disposable clothes catering for the lowest common denominator
    in 'fashion' - much like Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I went in there last night looking for a black string vest to go under a dress, they had every psychedelic color under the sun, but black, and I guarantee if I had found one, it would have something like 69 or sportschic or some sh_ite emblazoned across it :(.... Sorry rant over..

I do like their socks though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i hate the shopping experience in there its too bright and loud and buggies are hitting off you ankles children wailing. its just the worst experience ever. as some one said their socks are grand for a few washes then begin to go a bit threadbare. the underware unravels and it scratches. its ok for tights the bags you might find something nice in there. id rather shop in zara river island or oasis the clothes last longer look better don't stretch in the wash i know they are a bit more expensive but its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Its a disgusting place. Wouldnt be seen dead in there.

azezil wrote: »
    Dreadful for sizes I find, it's like they're catering for fat little umpa lumpa's! Their shirts are like tents on me and as for their slacks, seriously, its the only shop I've ever been in where I've found a 34" waist with a 30" leg! *boggle* Any other shop and it'd be the other way around, i.e. the right way :p

A size 30" waist would you a male "size zero" not exactly standard for an irish male.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Ah, i do shop there they have nice accessories, umbrella's, night wear, vests, socks, t-shirts e.t.c. As a girl you realise that sometimes quantity is better than quality :)
    I do still go to boutiques, high street shops, don't let fashion dictate you!

My friend and i call it "Pennies from heaven" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

slave labour, hate the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

azezil wrote: »

LOL I was just going to say that. It pisses me off greatly. I saw a pair of jeans in there before that were 36" waist and 28" leg.....I kid you not! Must be a lot of fat midgets around. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

best shop ever

you get great little jumpers and cardigans, tshirts, shoes and socks

I shop a lot and I love buying cheap little things, I don't expect something durable and long lasting.

You get a few good wears, throw it away and buy something new!
    I don't buy trousers there though, they're all made for short people

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

has to be said,its good for presents!!and dont act like you wouldnt!!:D:p:D:p

i would NEVER by a pair of jeans in there tho!

the odd aul' cheap shirt for €4 for work is good! or ties!v. good for ties!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Moonbaby wrote: »
    A size 30" waist would you a male "size zero" not exactly standard for an irish male.

A mate of mine wears jeans with a 26" waist, does that make him sub zero? *grin*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement