Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in New York

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

heading to NY shortly for a few days. I plan on heading to an outlet, either Jersey Gardens or Woodbury. I havnt decided which yet so I have a few Q's.

Which outlet offers better value?

How long does it take to get to Woodbury by bus?

Hiya,
    Go online and check the store listing for both, I personally have always prefered Jersey Gardens. If the weather is bad, wet and cold, Woodbury Common can be a bit miserable, it's laid out like a little village so you're outdoors between stores, Jersey Gardens is like a Mall.
    There is no tax on clothes in Jersey, so the tag price is what you pay. There is tax on shoes and accessories. Tax applies to Woodbury Common.
    Think it take about 45mins to an hour to get to Woodbury Common, the busy leaves from the Port Authority building.
    I love NYC, didn't make it there on my last US trip, but booked flights last night, can't wait!!
    Have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cranfordmike

Thanks Neadine, I had a look on both websites and woodbury looks like the shops are of higher quality, some serious designer names. Thats why I thought It may be more expensive than Jersey, generally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Thanks Neadine, I had a look on both websites and woodbury looks like the shops are of higher quality, some serious designer names. Thats why I thought It may be more expensive than Jersey, generally speaking.

I guess it really depends on what it is you are shopping for. Last time I was in Jersey Gardens I bought loads in Gap, just causal stuff; jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, that sort of thing. Got jeans for less than $5!! They were on the sale rail.
    So if you are shopping for high brand stuff, then maybe Woodbury Common is your choice.
    I have always got really good deal in Tommy Hilfiger and Guess in Jersey.
    Anyway, enjoy the trip. I can't wait to get back to Manhattan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

Definitely Jersey Gardens IMo..As regards the journey..Woodbury Common takes about 1.5 hrs to get there but can take up to 2.5 getting back depending on time of day, and traffic coming into Manhattan..Jersey Gardens takes about 30 mins ..Also cost roughly $45 for Woodbury return and $13 for JG...We were there for Black Friday and got fantastic bargains in JG, we were also there in May last year and the bargains were just as good.The plus side for JG is that it is all indoor, so weather wont affect ya, also they have great big shopping carts to stuff your shopping in, saves your arms lugging stuff around.You can check out the store directory on-line and they also have clearance stores for the likes of Tommy Hilfiger for eg. Got knee high ladies Tommy boots for $29 and mens shirts $10.Also got ladies Uggs for $110 in the shoe shop down beside Saks.Great kids stuff too, my brother got his daughters communion dress for $70 totally gorgeous...Bring your driving licence or passport and they give you a booklet of coupons at the concierge desk..well worth picking up.
    As for Woodbury , havent been out there in about 4/5 years..didnt really find it such good value most of the shops had either really small sizes left or massively huge(I am a dress size 18)
    I didnt like having to carry my purchases all day, they totally impeeded me!!
    Also its all outdoors so if you get a warm day or a very cold one your fecked.
    I felt WC was better for mens bargain hunting
    Oh yeah there are little or no taxes in JG so cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

Personally i find both Woodbury Commons and Jersey Gardens very different

Woodbury Commons can take between 40mins and an hour to get out there. The drive is lovely tho. One tip i would suggest is to bring a wheely sports back with you, so you can put everything you buy into it, same with Jersey. saves the poor arms from carrying stuff.

Woodbury does have a LOAD of shops but being an outlet village it would have mostly past season clothes, not things you would find in manhattan, where as jersey, a lot of the stuff that you would find in manhattan will be in the shops there, but slightly cheaper as no tax is added.

Id suggest looking at both store listings and see which has the best shops for you and go there :) HAVE FUN!! jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Noodlesb

Has anyone ever postage items back to Ireland after buying them in New York, is it expensive to do, is it worth doing. . . .

I see Woodbury Common have a shipping service has anyone ever used this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

Hi All,
    Just hoping for a little advice. Heading shopping in NYC in few wks I want to buy myself a few pairs of jeans, but im not sure what brands are the best to go for.
    Id be a size 14 to a 16 sometimes (i have big thighs) I dont mind spending a bit on these and am hoping to get a few good branded ones. Any advice on where best to head?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vivagora

Im planning a trip to New york and just wondering where are the best places to hit. I am aware of the huge outlet store and the known brands like abercrombie hollister etc but any good place for shoes and handbags???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to Shopping in NY thread.

Discount Shoe Warehouse at Union Square have great shoes and bags. They had everything from Nike and Skechers to Michael Kors, Guess, Marc Jacobs, Jimmy Choo etc at outlet prices.

Urban Outfitters is very cheap here as well. If you head to Broadway at Prince or Spring St on the Lower East Side you'll find all the "high street" shops. Victoria's Secret, Hollister, UO, Uniqlo, F21 etc.

Houston st. has some good independant shops but can be quite expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement