Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-01-2014, 15:59   #61
Careful_now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary10r View Post
The written assessment tomorrow is in the Teachers Club in parnell square, thanks for that though.
Really? They usually use the training school in phibsboro depot

Are you going for it? Best of luck if you are.
Advertisement
24-01-2014, 18:29   #62
Gary10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful_now! View Post
Really? They usually use the training school in phibsboro depot

Are you going for it? Best of luck if you are.
Might have something to do with the volume of applicants id say, yeah im in tomorrow at 10am, cheers
25-01-2014, 13:35   #63
Careful_now!

Quote:
Might have something to do with the volume of applicants id say, yeah im in tomorrow at 10am, cheers
How did it go?

Was there many there?
26-01-2014, 01:00   #64
coolbond

I applied but never got anything in the post,do yous reckon theres still hope for me or was it just the one day they were doing assessments?
26-01-2014, 09:07   #65
Careful_now!

Loads of time yet. Don't be worrying. As far as I know they are taking on 70 new drivers. Some people won't get past the written assessment, more will fail the driving assessment, more will fail the interview, and more will fail the medical.

I'd say the written assessment will be on over a few weeks.

They will need well over 100 for the written assessment.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2014, 12:17   #66
Gary10r

Quote:
How did it go?

Was there many there?
It went well. As someone said , had to do a accident report & then calculate fares given & finished off with the aptitude test. There wasn't as many as I thought there would be, approx 50 & a few empty seats, thinking there are probably other days with more groups as I heard there are 70 positions going. They said they will contact us near the end of feb to see who is going through to the driving assessment.
Thanks from:
07-02-2014, 01:10   #67
Careful_now!

According to information from the unions, new drivers will be starting in March. Has anybody progressed to the next stage yet?
10-02-2014, 11:41   #68
Gary10r

Just heard today, got the driving assessment & interview (if i pass the driving assessment) next week, any tips greatly appreciated
10-02-2014, 13:04   #69
bbk

I am sure there is something about low bridges I heard. . . . nah, nevermind. Probably not important! Just drive away I say!*

*useless advice.

Good luck though!!
Advertisement
10-02-2014, 14:50   #70
Careful_now!

Quote:
Just heard today, got the driving assessment & interview (if i pass the driving assessment) next week, any tips greatly appreciated
I don't know if anything has changed, but when I had mine the assessment was in a automatic ford focus. All the new applicants have a bus licence already, and that hasn't happened before, so I don't know if the assessment is in a car or a bus.

As for tips, take your time, it's not a race. Drive like its a driving test and you'll be fine.

Where do you have to go? The training school in Phibsboro?

Last edited by Careful_now!; 10-02-2014 at 16:06.
Thanks from:
10-02-2014, 17:54   #71
StreetLight

Quote:
Number One is safety.

Don't take undue risks, but maintain progress.
Use the handbrake if you anticipate being stopped for more than a few seconds.

Observation is so important. Let them see you using mirrors as much as possible. Look over your right shoulder before moving off. Move your head and body to help you look around corners.

Every time you overtake a cyclist, give them plenty of room and check your nearside mirror when you have passed them. Cyclists are vulnerable and can be unseated or steered off course by the draught created by a large passing vehicle. Cyclists are held in high regard by Dublin Bus as they don't contribute to further clogging of the city by private cars.

If you don't understand an instructor's direction, just ask for it to be repeated. They won't lose the rag with you because they are actually very nice, understanding people!

All the best.
Thanks from:
11-02-2014, 10:07   #72
Gary10r

Quote:
I don't know if anything has changed, but when I had mine the assessment was in a automatic ford focus. All the new applicants have a bus licence already, and that hasn't happened before, so I don't know if the assessment is in a car or a bus.

As for tips, take your time, it's not a race. Drive like its a driving test and you'll be fine.

Where do you have to go? The training school in Phibsboro?
Its in a bus & yes i have to go to phibsboro depot for 9.30am which is gonna be a test in itself
11-02-2014, 10:09   #73
Gary10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLight View Post
Number One is safety.

Don't take undue risks, but maintain progress.
Use the handbrake if you anticipate being stopped for more than a few seconds.

Observation is so important. Let them see you using mirrors as much as possible. Look over your right shoulder before moving off. Move your head and body to help you look around corners.

Every time you overtake a cyclist, give them plenty of room and check your nearside mirror when you have passed them. Cyclists are vulnerable and can be unseated or steered off course by the draught created by a large passing vehicle. Cyclists are held in high regard by Dublin Bus as they don't contribute to further clogging of the city by private cars.

If you don't understand an instructor's direction, just ask for it to be repeated. They won't lose the rag with you because they are actually very nice, understanding people!

All the best.
Thanks for that, as much as i hate them i can understand Dublin Bus position on cyclists. cheers
11-02-2014, 10:59   #74
Gary10r

I know there is nothing normal about this process but does anyone know the general route you are taking on from the depot?? its been a long time since i was over that direction.
11-02-2014, 11:43   #75
StreetLight

Quote:
I know there is nothing normal about this process but does anyone know the general route you are taking on from the depot?? its been a long time since i was over that direction.
Most likely a couple of laps of the yard in Broadstone first to give you a feel for the bus. Then maybe along Phibsboro Road to Finglas, or North Circular Road to Conyngham Road, or Western Way down to O'Connell Street and Dame Street.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion