Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2014, 20:59   #46
Careful_now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clunked View Post
Its a long time since I was in Dublin Bus but I would imagine that it would take longer again to get marked in in say Summerhill or Clontarf than other garages and that an initial marking-in might be on one of the let's say more unsociable routes.
People getting marked in at the moment are in the job 9 and a half - ten years and its not getting any better. Anybody coming into the job now shouldn't be thinking that they will get their own route any time in the near future. You get s days notice of what your working and it could be any route in that garage.

You won't be asked to do a route from a different garage in case you were thinking that.
Advertisement
14-01-2014, 10:09   #47
cdebru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clunked View Post
Its a long time since I was in Dublin Bus but I would imagine that it would take longer again to get marked in in say Summerhill or Clontarf than other garages and that an initial marking-in might be on one of the let's say more unsociable routes.
Yeah they would probably be more senior but 10+ seems to be across the board. A good few garages regularly have no vacancies for marking in. TBH by the time anyone joining now would be senior enough to get marked in it is not worth worrying about unsocial routes they will have had plenty of them at that stage.
15-01-2014, 10:42   #48
stinkbomb

new drivers in dublin bus

According to the recent cost cutting agreement with the unions new drivers will be on the 4 day ( all late shifts ) weekend roster for a maximum of 2 years but with a bit of luck it might be less.
15-01-2014, 18:45   #49
Rabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Hi all and best of luck to all that apply for the job.

I am a driver myself and have been driving many years now and like anything in life the job has it's ups and downs.

I like to drive so I applied and went through the process all starting with the interview then called to do aptitude test, then you are brought for a test drive in a car or van to see if you can handle that, then you are sent to training school for as far as I can remember 2 weeks minimum(may have changed). They will train you whether you have experience or not to make sure you are up to their high standards.

One thing I would like to add is that you all say it's a great job and I have to disagree to a degree.
You are going to be dealing with the public who will eat away at you and if you have any feelings at all leave them behind if you take the job as you will deal with all sorts from the nicest of people to the type you wouldn't p**s on if they were on fire.
The hours and rosters are very bad and extremely poor if you are any way at all new. It is getting to the pointwhere 8 and 9 year service you are still spare and on a completely different roster to those who would have been on the proper roster up to max year and half.

Over the years I have been attacked verbally and physically, spat at, followed by other road users and also blocked in and not let out for reasons god only knows as the cops wouldn't even figure out what was the other peoples problem. I have had incidents involving threats with knives and syringes including the odd bomb threat(crazy talk).

I find that the aggresion in people is on the rise and you will get a lot of you are lucky to have a job and why are you all going out of service and why are there 2 or 3 buses together and so on ....
Firstly , fair play , you guys do a fairs days work for very little thanks. It is tough dealing with all sorts.
Do you know if many drivers who are involved in serious accidents return to work and if they feel they can't return does Dub bus look after them?
I'm thinking of the driver of the 145 on Nassu St and the 27 on Greenhills Road
15-01-2014, 18:47   #50
Rabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful_now! View Post
I'm a driver too, being spare is a pain, you make it sound like people are only spare for a short while. I'm spare almost 8 years and will be spare for another 7 or 8 years.

So that's a lot of pain
What is a spare?
Advertisement
15-01-2014, 19:30   #51
Careful_now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitt View Post
What is a spare?
When you start in the job you are a spare driver. Spare means you can be put on any route in the garage and you only get a days notice. It has its good points and bad points.

Good point would be you don't do the same route every day do you get a bit if variety.

Bad point is you only get a days notice and can't always plan stuff because you don't know if you will be early, middle or bogey (bogey is usually 7 - 7 with a long break)

Although new drivers starting now will be all lates starting off so that will give you a bit of structure. You know you will be off every morning and won't be starting work til about 3 or 4
21-01-2014, 11:17   #52
Gary10r

Quote:
When you start in the job you are a spare driver. Spare means you can be put on any route in the garage and you only get a days notice. It has its good points and bad points.

Good point would be you don't do the same route every day do you get a bit if variety.

Bad point is you only get a days notice and can't always plan stuff because you don't know if you will be early, middle or bogey (bogey is usually 7 - 7 with a long break)

Although new drivers starting now will be all lates starting off so that will give you a bit of structure. You know you will be off every morning and won't be starting work til about 3 or 4
I drive a bus for a private operator and have all the hassles & good points you speak off driving for Dublin Bus but with out the salary, structure et al, love dealing with the public but its the 3% ters , that will never be happy in anything they do in life that try & **** up your day if you let them.. anyway i got a letter from DB yesterday to go & do a written assessment this sat morn, does anyone know what this assessment might entail, thanks
21-01-2014, 13:50   #53
Careful_now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary10r View Post
I drive a bus for a private operator and have all the hassles & good points you speak off driving for Dublin Bus but with out the salary, structure et al, love dealing with the public but its the 3% ters , that will never be happy in anything they do in life that try & **** up your day if you let them.. anyway i got a letter from DB yesterday to go & do a written assessment this sat morn, does anyone know what this assessment might entail, thanks
Aptitude test, few simple questions on stages, but they give you a book to work out the answers, and do a written report on an accident, like a statement.
(2) thanks from:
21-01-2014, 17:42   #54
punisher5112

Get use to writing out reports as anything and everything can happen from passenger injuries such as trips, falls, bumps and so on.

Collisions and that are common also as others most of the time misjudge spaces or try and bully their way past you.

My name may give away some of the punishment I have given out.

Many a crash in my time.
Advertisement
21-01-2014, 23:06   #55
Grandad99

Thanks to all for the information, much appreciated.

I too have been shortlisted and invited to attend for the assessment this coming Saturday.

My current family circumstances are best served knowing when I am working, which I have in my current job, so I have thanked D/B for considering me and withdrawn my application.

I think the job been offered will be very attractive to many, particularly those currently working for private operators for far less money and are on call at much shorter notice, with no guaranteed hours, and have no prospect of improvement in their conditions.

Good luck to all.
21-01-2014, 23:10   #56
Careful_now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad99 View Post
Thanks to all for the information, much appreciated.

I too have been shortlisted and invited to attend for the assessment this coming Saturday.

My current family circumstances are best served knowing when I am working, which I have in my current job, so I have thanked D/B for considering me and withdrawn my application.

I think the job been offered will be very attractive to many, particularly those currently working for private operators for far less money and are on call at much shorter notice, with no guaranteed hours, and have no prospect of improvement in their conditions.

Good luck to all.
Well, for the first couple of years you would know what you are working. Weekends and late. It's when you progress to the 5 day week with a weekend off every so often is when it gets unpredictable.

But good luck in whatever you decide to do.
22-01-2014, 00:38   #57
cdebru

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Get use to writing out reports as anything and everything can happen from passenger injuries such as trips, falls, bumps and so on.

Collisions and that are common also as others most of the time misjudge spaces or try and bully their way past you.

My name may give away some of the punishment I have given out.

Many a crash in my time.

I honestly haven't filled one out in years maybe 10 or more. Touch wood...
22-01-2014, 19:27   #58
bikeman1

I know one driver who is "spare" and another two who are marked in on specific routes.

They all seem to have quite varying shifts from week to week. The guy who is spare seems to be able to swap with other drivers very easily and can work when suits as he doesn't mind working in the evenings and can nearly always swap off the morning jobs.

I wouldn't think it would be a huge problem. It goes with the territory of being a transport worker!
Thanks from:
24-01-2014, 11:10   #59
Careful_now!

Just a little tip for anybody going for the written assessment.
Safety in the yard is important, so if you wear a high viz vest to the training school that might get you a couple of bonus points. There is a big push on safety at the moment
Thanks from:
24-01-2014, 14:29   #60
Gary10r

Quote:
Just a little tip for anybody going for the written assessment.
Safety in the yard is important, so if you wear a high viz vest to the training school that might get you a couple of bonus points. There is a big push on safety at the moment
The written assessment tomorrow is in the Teachers Club in parnell square, thanks for that though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion