Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-12-2013, 13:11   #16
StreetLight

At the moment, it's open-ended. It will give potential applicants who currently do not possess the D licence and CPC qualifications time to obtain them.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2013, 14:00   #17
emmbaasee

Ah great thanks. I kind of thought that might be the case allright. It's a job i've considered before but i'm still not sure if i could hack the general public and all that comes with dealing with them.
I don't consider it an easy job and i think they deserve the wage.
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2013, 21:40   #18
coolbond

Does anyone know what the recruitment process is like,is it just an interview and driving assessment? or is it aptitude tests and assessments and role plays etc like alot of jobs??
17-12-2013, 10:33   #19
Careful_now!

When i started 8 years ago it was an aptitude test and do a report on an accident you were in or seen.

Then the next stage is a Driving assesment and interview.

I don't think its changed.

Then the next stage is a medical at the company doctor.

Once you pass that HR will call you with your start date.

It all happens very quickly
Thanks from:
17-12-2013, 10:38   #20
Ironman76

Fair play for posting. My brother is a bus driver. It's a great job.
Advertisement
17-12-2013, 19:17   #21
Mafamude

Thanks for the post! Can I ask something?

I have a Portuguese drivers licence and I worked 5 years for the equivalent of Dublin Bus in Lisbon, have reference letter, Portuguese CPC, all that jazz. Do you think they would consider my cv even with a Portuguese licence and I can change it while the process runs?

I would love to get in because driving is all I love to do!

Thanks!
17-12-2013, 19:49   #22
cdebru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafamude View Post
Thanks for the post! Can I ask something?

I have a Portuguese drivers licence and I worked 5 years for the equivalent of Dublin Bus in Lisbon, have reference letter, Portuguese CPC, all that jazz. Do you think they would consider my cv even with a Portuguese licence and I can change it while the process runs?

I would love to get in because driving is all I love to do!

Thanks!
CPC is EU wide AFAIK and your Portuguese license is recognized here so as long as it's all up to date you should be good.
They would asess your driving either way.

Boa sorte.
17-12-2013, 19:52   #23
cdebru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad99 View Post
Hi Careful_now,

The website says;

You will be employed to operate scheduled services covering late shifts on a 4-day week from Thursday to Monday with the opportunity to progress to a 5-day week with rotating shifts''

Do you think initially this job would be on the night links ?

How long do you think it would be to get on the rotating 5-day shift ?

Thanks.
The last time they had 4 day week drivers some of them did the nitelinks as a days work so it could involve the nitelinks on Fridays and Saturdays.
Thanks from:
17-12-2013, 20:14   #24
Mafamude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdebru View Post
CPC is EU wide AFAIK and your Portuguese license is recognized here so as long as it's all up to date you should be good.
They would asess your driving either way.

Boa sorte.
Obrigada !

Going to send my application today and fingers crossed !
Advertisement
17-12-2013, 20:34   #25
punisher5112

Hi all and best of luck to all that apply for the job.

I am a driver myself and have been driving many years now and like anything in life the job has it's ups and downs.

I like to drive so I applied and went through the process all starting with the interview then called to do aptitude test, then you are brought for a test drive in a car or van to see if you can handle that, then you are sent to training school for as far as I can remember 2 weeks minimum(may have changed). They will train you whether you have experience or not to make sure you are up to their high standards.

One thing I would like to add is that you all say it's a great job and I have to disagree to a degree.
You are going to be dealing with the public who will eat away at you and if you have any feelings at all leave them behind if you take the job as you will deal with all sorts from the nicest of people to the type you wouldn't p**s on if they were on fire.
The hours and rosters are very bad and extremely poor if you are any way at all new. It is getting to the pointwhere 8 and 9 year service you are still spare and on a completely different roster to those who would have been on the proper roster up to max year and half.

Over the years I have been attacked verbally and physically, spat at, followed by other road users and also blocked in and not let out for reasons god only knows as the cops wouldn't even figure out what was the other peoples problem. I have had incidents involving threats with knives and syringes including the odd bomb threat(crazy talk).

I find that the aggresion in people is on the rise and you will get a lot of you are lucky to have a job and why are you all going out of service and why are there 2 or 3 buses together and so on ....
Thanks from:
17-12-2013, 21:06   #26
Mafamude

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Hi all and best of luck to all that apply for the job.

I am a driver myself and have been driving many years now and like anything in life the job has it's ups and downs.

I like to drive so I applied and went through the process all starting with the interview then called to do aptitude test, then you are brought for a test drive in a car or van to see if you can handle that, then you are sent to training school for as far as I can remember 2 weeks minimum(may have changed). They will train you whether you have experience or not to make sure you are up to their high standards.

One thing I would like to add is that you all say it's a great job and I have to disagree to a degree.
You are going to be dealing with the public who will eat away at you and if you have any feelings at all leave them behind if you take the job as you will deal with all sorts from the nicest of people to the type you wouldn't p**s on if they were on fire.
The hours and rosters are very bad and extremely poor if you are any way at all new. It is getting to the pointwhere 8 and 9 year service you are still spare and on a completely different roster to those who would have been on the proper roster up to max year and half.

Over the years I have been attacked verbally and physically, spat at, followed by other road users and also blocked in and not let out for reasons god only knows as the cops wouldn't even figure out what was the other peoples problem. I have had incidents involving threats with knives and syringes including the odd bomb threat(crazy talk).

I find that the aggresion in people is on the rise and you will get a lot of you are lucky to have a job and why are you all going out of service and why are there 2 or 3 buses together and so on ....
Had that experience for 5 years and a couple of months until I started with international routes, Spain, France and Switzerland. Been spat on, showed knives, broken beer bottles and so on. However I had nice times also and I miss the one in a million smile when a passenger shows gratitude for your hard work. I think the users are not that different from the Portuguese ones but if you ask me, in between being in an office and facing a computer 8h per day and drive, see people, face rush hour and so on, I rather take the second option.
(2) thanks from:
17-12-2013, 21:07   #27
Careful_now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdebru View Post
The last time they had 4 day week drivers some of them did the nitelinks as a days work so it could involve the nitelinks on Fridays and Saturdays.
Nitelinks are counted as a late duty but as far as I know in all garages you have to opt in to it. If you want to do it you can, if you don't want to do it you don't have to.

If you did a nite link you are paid 2 hours over time for it as long with your days pay
17-12-2013, 21:42   #28
cdebru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful_now! View Post
Nitelinks are counted as a late duty but as far as I know in all garages you have to opt in to it. If you want to do it you can, if you don't want to do it you don't have to.

If you did a nite link you are paid 2 hours over time for it as long with your days pay
Yes that is for current staff but for new 4 day drivers I don't know if it will be the same also afair the last time they had 4 day drivers there was no overtime paid for working nitelinks as your days work.
21-12-2013, 14:50   #29
coolbond

anyone have any idea when they-ll start contacting applicants?I applied just under 2 weeks ago
21-12-2013, 18:34   #30
Careful_now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbond View Post
anyone have any idea when they-ll start contacting applicants?I applied just under 2 weeks ago
Early January as far as I know
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion