Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genealogy

Options
  • 26-04-2003 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there were any people doing genealogy (their own or somebody else's) out there. Apart from one of my friends I know nobody else Irish that is interested in genealogy and still in their twenties.

/me sits back and waits for the gynaecology quips

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Vaguely interested in the topic.
    A good link for the subject is
    http://genforum.genealogy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dignam

What type of Genealogy I can help you and tell you were and what sites to get the records of what are you looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I started really researching mine in my late teens, it was a good time to start as I could still ask a lot of questions, while most people who start getting interested in where they came from at an later stage of their lives would have few people to get first hand information from.
    So make sure you ask everyone you can now, years ago I took a dictaphone to my grandaunts house and let her ramble about the family, trying to get all the names I could, it was very luck as she passed away a month later and I would have struggled to find out all the information she gave me in that hour. (Plus I now have a recording of her voice that would otherwise have never been heard again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I started really researching mine in my late teens, it was a good time to start as I could still ask a lot of questions, while most people who start getting interested in where they came from at an later stage of their lives would have few people to get first hand information from.
    So make sure you ask everyone you can now, years ago I took a dictaphone to my grandaunts house and let her ramble about the family, trying to get all the names I could, it was very luck as she passed away a month later and I would have struggled to find out all the information she gave me in that hour. (Plus I now have a recording of her voice that would otherwise have never been heard again)

Excellent!! Well done. I did the same but the people I spoke to 40 years ago weren't that interested, or didn't know too much themselves, hence I've still got a lot of work to do. When I got married my in-laws just thought I was being a busybody.:(

I just cant understand people all i wanted to know is what my grand father looked like but it took me 4 years to get his photo. But everyone i speak to they dont want to know me i think i talk about this genealogy thing to much. I cant understand people they dont care about there past but if it wasnt for the people before us we woulden be here why do people have it in for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

dignam wrote: »
    I just cant understand people all i wanted to know is what my grand father looked like but it took me 4 years to get his photo. But everyone i speak to they dont want to know me i think i talk about this genealogy thing to much. I cant understand people they dont care about there past but if it wasnt for the people before us we woulden be here why do people have it in for me

I'm the only one in my immediate family with any interest in family history. When I ask my father any questions, all I get is "How would I know". I remember years ago asking my granny about her youth, I got shot down fairly fast. She just didn't see the point in talking about it all, she said "arra, g'way outta that" or along those lines! I don't have much oral history, just official records.

Maybe it depends how we question our relatives. I was just thinking if I'd worded my questions differently, I may have got better answers. Instead of saying 'what was so-and-so like?', perhaps I could have said 'what was so-and-so's job?', and instead of 'did he come from such-and-such-a-place?', maybe ask 'where was so-and-so born?'. It might have been better to ask questions which didn't mean they had to give their opinions but just straightforward answers such as 'he was a dairy farmer' or 'he was born in Clonakilty'. Then they are not giving away any secrets! I think 40 years ago, particularly in the country people didn't like to be thought of as 'gossiping' even though everyone did it all the time. There is also the problems of skeletons in closets - every family has 'em, and many families don't want to let them loose!!:rolleyes:

I think thats the way my family are they are. But they told me what they know about the famliy

But last night i was searching for a marrriage cert I cant seem to find my great grand parents marriage but the name spelt like Ejreegan could this be Dignam or Duignan as there is no name that is like that. 1868 and there is no other name like it in the world all i can do is get the marriage cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

But last night i was searching for a marrriage cert I cant seem to find my great grand parents marriage but the name spelt like Ejreegan could this be Dignam or Duignan as there is no name that is like that. 1868 and there is no other name like it in the world all i can do is get the marriage cert

Sorry can you explain again. I don't get it. What name are you looking for

• Advertisement

I am trying to get a marriage cert for Thomas Dignam and Catherine Weldon. Came accross a marriage for Thoams Dignam and Catherine Whelan for 1868 could this be the couple then i came accross this name Thomas Ejreegan Could this be Dignam a mistake was made or something.

Regards

David

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Where did you find these marriages? Are they indexes or transcriptions?

The only way to be sure is to order the certs. EJreegan isn't a surname so it's likely a mistranscription of something but it doesn't sound much like Dignam to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

is this the marriage on the BMD Index ?
    Name: Thomas Ejreegan
    Registration district: Drogheda
    Event type: Marriage
    Year: 1868
    Volume : 17 / Page : 519
    There's an extracted version of the same record (the page number matches) which show the groom's surnames as 'Egreegan Or Cregan' and marrying a Jane Cheevers.
    Groom: Thomas Egreegan Or Cregan (age 32 / c1836)
    Bride: Jane Cheevers (age 28 / c 1840)
    Marriage Date: 17 Nov 1868
    Marriage Place: Tullyallen, Co. Louth
    Groom's Father: James Cregan
    Bride's Father': Thomas Cheevers
    Reference Number: Pg.519 No.97

Shane

Thats not the right one. If the women re married would she use her first madiam name or get married with her married name from her first husband. Thomas DIgnam married between 1868 and 1871 wifes name Catherine. I think she must have remarried and it could be her second marriage thats what my problem could be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

2nd marriages for women that I've seen were indexed under both surnames - i.e. maiden name, and surname from first marriage. Dont know if this was always the case.

Shane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Exactly wtf is that all about, if you ask my great aunts anything they look at you and only give you minute details, one of them refuses to tell us anything. I bet they know loads aswell. I fail to see why they won't tell us, and i'd love to see pics of my great grandfather to see what he looks like but i bet they'd kill me if i asked. I think they aren't happy about what they are, but i think they should just accept their heritage and get over it you can't change genetics. And i agree with you their i think we should be proud of our heritage even if they were nutters!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Maybe it depends how we question our relatives. I was just thinking if I'd worded my questions differently, I may have got better answers. Instead of saying 'what was so-and-so like?', perhaps I could have said 'what was so-and-so's job?', and instead of 'did he come from such-and-such-a-place?', maybe ask 'where was so-and-so born?'. It might have been better to ask questions which didn't mean they had to give their opinions but just straightforward answers such as 'he was a dairy farmer' or 'he was born in Clonakilty'. Then they are not giving away any secrets! I think 40 years ago, particularly in the country people didn't like to be thought of as 'gossiping' even though everyone did it all the time. There is also the problems of skeletons in closets - every family has 'em, and many families don't want to let them loose!!:rolleyes:

Well its stupid them not telling us because we'll find out eventually anyway, infact i've already found two scandels they didn't want to tell me.

I keep coming across these kind of stories from others who are searching family history. Unfortunately some people prefer to live in their own little world and won't step into the 21st Century. Sad thing is that they won't tell us these 'secrets' because they think, that we think exactly like they do and will judge, as they do, and that is not the case at all. Pity really but a fact of life we have to live with. As you say, it will all come out in the wash one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

Thats not the right one. If the women re married would she use her first madiam name or get married with her married name from her first husband. Thomas DIgnam married between 1868 and 1871 wifes name Catherine. I think she must have remarried and it could be her second marriage thats what my problem could be

there is a thomas dignan born in ireland in 1845 but living in jackson winneshiek iowa with his wife catherine dignan and sons george and edward in the united states census 1880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

What type of Genealogy I can help you and tell you were and what sites to get the records of what are you looking for

Cheers, but that was eight and a half years ago, and I'd already been working in the field for well over 3 years at that stage :D

Dunno how this thread keeps getting dragged up again and again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Asherton

Things may not be what they seem. I experienced the same thing many years ago. I could not get my grandmother to tell me anything about her life- She would just get very annoyed with me. I asked my mom for info, aunts and uncles, same deal as you- no one wanted to talk to me about it. Much later we found out my grandmother was born illegitimate, her mother had been very wild. She was tormented by this her whole life. Since then I have discovered very sad and painful secrets about other family members. I have learned that people who have lived through something terrible (if only terrible to themselves) DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE PAST. And it's so sad too because if I could have talked to my grandmother about that 'illegitimate thing' I know I could have made her feel better.
    Anyway, just wanted to share that with you. Have a nice weekend:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please don't resurrect zombie threads.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement