Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Anyone able to advise of the shipping wieght and dimensions for the google home, trying to organise fedex of one!

If no one else has an answer, I'll check when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

bk - presume we're just talking about a plug adapter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Adaptor-Plug-Worldwide-European/dp/B000P0FIUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480699267&sr=8-1&keywords=usa+to+uk+plug+adapter is that right? I'm just aware of the different voltages, 110 v 220 and not sure how this works....probably a very dumb question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bk - presume we're just talking about a plug adapter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Adaptor-Plug-Worldwide-European/dp/B000P0FIUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480699267&sr=8-1&keywords=usa+to+uk+plug+adapter is that right? I'm just aware of the different voltages, 110 v 220 and not sure how this works....probably a very dumb question.

Funny, I just clicked on that link and amazon tells me I actually bought exactly that adaptor and thus it is exactly what I'm using with my GHome :D

Anyone able to advise of the shipping wieght and dimensions for the google home, trying to organise fedex of one!

Dimensions of the box are 24 x 13 x 13 cm, weight of the box and google home are 970g, though that doesn't include the charger or charger cable, so say a little over 1kg.

Of course that may not include any extra packaging they put around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

bk wrote: »
    Dimensions of the box are 24 x 13 x 13 cm, weight of the box and google home are 970g, though that doesn't include the charger or charger cable, so say a little over 1kg.

Of course that may not include any extra packaging they put around it.

Thanks bk,

Shipping is working out expensive, about 130 dollars, anyone done this before or know of a cheaper option. It's at a friends house in Boston, so they will ship it for me once I tell them who to use etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Thanks bk,

Shipping is working out expensive, about 130 dollars, anyone done this before or know of a cheaper option. It's at a friends house in Boston, so they will ship it for me once I tell them who to use etc.

I've had a friend ship one to me. Gonna take 10 to 15 days and costs 50 dollars.

It was the cheapest method she could find.

This might help you find a similar rate -

307t8ba.jpg

I've had a friend ship one to me. Gonna take 10 to 15 days and costs 50 dollars.

It was the cheapest method she could find.

This might help you find a similar rate -

307t8ba.jpg

Thanks heathen, so this was regular post?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Thanks heathen, so this was regular post?

Not sure. I left it to her to mail it to me. Hopefully it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭albob

This is what annoys me about this device ->

It took me a while to figure out the "listen to 88.5 RTE Radio 1" worked...until this morning. Now it says it either it's not available or can't be streamed. I previously saw this happen with "Newstalk". Worked for a while and then just stopped. Had to move to "106 Newstalk". Same inconsistencies playing music.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭mel123

How much would customs charge be on this? I think they totally overcharged me and i wasnt home so someone else paid it on my behalf!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

mel123 wrote: »
    How much would customs charge be on this? I think they totally overcharged me and i wasnt home so someone else paid it on my behalf!

Usually 23% + on item and postage + 7euro handling if (an post)

mel123 wrote: »

How much did they charge you?

I got a relative topmost mine by regular mail, the postage cost 34 dollars, should have got him to mark it as a gift!!

Will see if they process it and charge me.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I found that too. It actually seems to be going backwards rather than forwards in many respects.

I wouldn't worry about it TBH, it's still not regionalised so would not expect things to smooth out till it is.

Will it ever be though? Months later and the Pixel phones don't look any closer to a release here so chances are we'll never see the Home officially.

I should really keep trying to see if it improves again but it's not even plugged in now after being silent for near a week. So far it's beating the Gear VR as the most disappointing tech I've tried in the last couple of years.

Well, to be fair, you have bought a product which is not adapted for use in this country, and has only even been released just a few weeks, so I think your jumping the gun a bit.

It's a bit like buying a left had drive car and then complaining that it's left hand drive, your gonna have to wait a bit for the right hand version to come out, or you should have waited for it perhaps?

It's a bit like buying a car with right hand drive and then going out one morning after a week and finding the steering wheel on the left.

Brilliant

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭mel123

How much did they charge you?

I got a relative topmost mine by regular mail, the postage cost 34 dollars, should have got him to mark it as a gift!!

Will see if they process it and charge me.

sorry false alarm, thats my mam thinking she is funny!!!
    got a relative to post it and it was marked low value gift so it got through :-)

• Advertisement

albob wrote: »
    This is what annoys me about this device ->

It took me a while to figure out the "listen to 88.5 RTE Radio 1" worked...until this morning. Now it says it either it's not available or can't be streamed. I previously saw this happen with "Newstalk". Worked for a while and then just stopped. Had to move to "106 Newstalk". Same inconsistencies playing music.

I think the issue is more tunein radio then Google Home. You see similar inconsistency and regressions with tunein on Amazon Echo.

I suspect tunein works like a search engine, where things change over time. What might work one week, doesn't the next as their index is changing.

The obvious solution to this would be if you could create a tunein account and set favourite stations. Hopefully it will come eventually.

As I mention above only tunein has these issues and I believe it is a problem with Tunein rather then Google Home. I haven't seen any other "regressions" on Google Home other then two radio stations on tunein.

I think you are being far too harsh on a product that hasn't been released in Ireland yet and is only a month old in the US, in an area that is pretty much cutting edge technology.

With respect, I think your personality might not be suited to being an early adopter of technology. It seems you expect perfection out of the box and that simply isn't reasonable out of a cutting edge, brand new, piece of technology.

If you think Google Home is bad, you would have hated the original iphones and Android phones. GHome is WAY more polished then they were when they first launched.

I think you would be more an early mainstream adopter.

I assume you haven't tried Amazon Echo, because it is much worse.

The things you are complaining about are so minor, compared to overall what the product does. The problems with it so far:

- Two Irish radio stations won't work with their usual name, have to use a slightly different name to get them to work. Out of the millions of radio stations in the world that it supports and work well.

- No reminders.

- No third party apps, despite Google saying it is coming in December.

Now they are the issues compared to:

- Playing almost all the music in the world with your voice.
    - Controlling almost all the smart devices in your home.
    - Playing almost every radio station in the world.
    - Ask it questions about almost anything in the world.
    - Add to and ask about your calendar
    - Play music through out your home (with cheap CCA's).

If you had told me 10 years ago that I could do all the above for just $99 I would have told you that you are mad! When you step back from the small number of bugs and look at the bigger picture, it is a pretty incredible device.

I'm not worried about what it can do, bar the reminders because that was too easy, but more the things it could do and now can't. Why would it regress even in this small way? It has great potential but it is very very unfinished.

Also, there's no need to be so patronising just because someone doesn't share your opinion.

"I think your personality might not be suited to being an early adopter of technology".

Christ.

I don't mean to be patronising either, but in fairness, you have bought a product which is not officially released in this country or any other country in the eu, you have bought it despite the fact that it is not officially available and not supported here, and you are criticising it's current features and functionality ?

I think you are being entirely unreasonable, and based on your explanation (which is not wrong, it is simply our view of it, and that cannot be incorrect), you don't seem like there type of individual who should be buying early release products that are not even officially supported in your country. Your expectations are simply incompatible with what can probably one be described as a beta product at this stage as far as Ireland and eu is concerned.

You should probably take that into consideration if you look to do something similar again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Mine are arriving tomorrow - I think this is going to be much better than the echo down the line - That's why I ditched Amazon.
    Hey Google - Play <Movie Name> on Netflix
    Hey Google - Play <Movie Name> on plex
    Hey Google - Play <TV Show> on plex
    It is only at the start. In six months time I can see a lot more features being available.
    I hope logitech integration comes to GHome and that logitech up their game allowing easy setup of commands like volume up on tv etc.

What are these things that it could do that it now can't?

Literally the only regression so far is that two radio stations, RTE Radio 1 and Newstalk, you have to use a slightly different name for them then you did a few weeks ago!

That is literally it. They still work you just have to use a different word!

Out of all the millions of radio stations from around the world that it can play and all the other incredible functionality it has, this is literally the only regression!

And it is such a tiny, inconsequential thing in comparison to all the other functionality of the device.

Also as I've explained twice now and you seem to have ignored, the issue seems to be with tunein service, rather then GHome. We are seeing the similar bugginess, though even worse, with tunein on the Amazon Echo.

So this is like saying an Android phone or iPhone are rubbish, because there is a bug in some third party app. You really can't blame Google for the quality of tunein's service, just as you can't blame Google or Apple for a buggy app on their smart phones. It just doesn't make any sense.

Sorry, I genuinely don't mean to be patronising, I'm just giving you my honest opinion. Early Adopter actually has a very specific technical meaning that many people don't properly understand, you can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_adopter
    The relationship is synergistic, with the customer having early (and sometimes unique, or at least uniquely early) access to an advantageous new product or technology, but he or she also serves as a kind of guinea pig.

In exchange for being an early adopter, and thus being exposed to the problems, risks, and annoyances common to early-stage product testing and deployment, the lighthouse customer is sometimes given especially attentive vendor assistance and support, even to the point of having personnel at the customer's work site to assist with implementation. The customer is sometimes given preferential pricing, terms, and conditions, although new technology is very often expensive, so the early adopter still often pays quite a lot.

Early adoption does come with pitfalls: early versions of products may be buggy and/or prone to malfunction. Furthermore, more efficient, and sometimes less expensive, versions of the product usually appear a few months after the initial release (Apple iPhone).[2][3] The trend of new technology costing more at release is often referred to as the "early adopter tax"

I'm a software engineer, I often have to select some of customers to do beta testing. I've gotten good at identifying what people fit into which category. I genuinely don't think you would fit into the early adopter type above and would instead fit into the "early majority" type. And there is nothing wrong with that at all. It really isn't something to be taken personally. For instance while I might be an early adopter (but not innovator) for home automation tech and smartphone tech, I'd very much would fall into the "early majority" type when it comes to buying a new car or house building technology.

I'm willing to be an early adopter and put up with the bugs of new tech like this, because the price of it is so cheap, thus there is so little risk if it doesn't work out. However as something gets more expensive, the more conservative I get about buying into new technology. For instance I think electric cars are fantastic and the future of cars, but there is no way in hell I'd buy one at the moment, because the technology is still so relatively immature and expensive.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with understanding what personality type you are. In fact it will often lead you too be much happier, as people who buy into tech too early for their comfort can end up becoming frustrated with it. For instance I think GHome is great, but there is no way in hell I'd recommend it to my elderly mother who very much falls into the "laggard" type.

I would absolutely agree with you that GHome and Echo aren't perfect yet and that they certainly aren't suited to everyone. I'm quiet happy to point out it's current flaws and I think I've multiple times pointed out to the type of people who would like it (music fans, HA tech fans, future tech fans) and I've also readily admitted that it probably isn't ready for just everyone yet, like much of the tech we talk about in this forum isn't.

BTW having an early android phone doesn't really make you an early adopter of smartphone tech IMO. Smartphones existed long before iPhone/android, devices like Windows CE, Pocket PC, Palm, Nokia Communicator, etc. are what the innovators and early adopters of smart phones had. Even the original iPhones and Android phones were comparatively pretty polished and were already well into the early majority phase of smart phones.

Again, no offence was meant, I was just being a dumb engineer, using engineer terms without thinking about you taking it in the wrong way.

In some ways this is the fault of the media, who have taking the term of early adopters and twisted it to mean something different. They use the term loosely for anyone who fits into the first 50% of the Rogers Bell Curve, the innovators, real early adopters and early majority. I see it has become trendy to call oneself an early adopter, but when I speak to many of these people, they are actually really early majority and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But to an engineer who likes correct definitions this is frustrating and I think it also leads people to buying into tech too early.

I was not implying that you dont buy early release products, I never said that. Anyway, this is probably going to irritate people further if we head down this discussion much more, so I think we should leave it and agree to disagree!

• Advertisement

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I hope logitech integration comes to GHome and that logitech up their game allowing easy setup of commands like volume up on tv etc.

You can already use GHome to turn on and off logitech harmony activities using IFTTT. Works surprisingly well. Though I agree, I look forward to controlling volume, etc.

Advertisement