Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Well i dropped into Tyreland.....mentioned to the lads that Keith sent me......I was given €100 ,a small package and an address...they told me not to open it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

guile4582 wrote: »
    they better hope the Nova noise is solved soon or they be bankrupt :)

their website is atrocious

IMO - they are struggling - that lad who replaced Sinead in the evenings, give me strength!

You mean Jack Hyland. I, for one, like him, although he is stuck somewhat with a playlist. At times, he does sneak in more alternative sounding tunes, as you would expect from someone who was with Phantom for so many years. Incidentally, Sinead is also ex-Phantom, just not as long with Phantom as Jack was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

no shortage of advertising? same adverts over and over mate

that was the jingle from mycase.ie advert which is on constantly

then there's Tommy Laddy "hello there" (soundstore drogheda or something)

great outdoors - flash floods, unnecessary journeys

flowerhill furniture

same 5/6 old ads over and over again. not a great sign of how good the station is doing

The Quote Devil's always got one Hell of a quoooooote.

My favorite is the ststion promo one..."why do some stations think theyre funny....leave it to the professionals"...in the middle of Pat Courtenay's show.....ironic...:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

My favorite is the ststion promo one..."why do some stations think theyre funny....leave it to the professionals"...in the middle of Pat Courtenay's show.....ironic...:rolleyes::)

ditto!!

• Advertisement

and they bang on and on about the "list" for Nova noise

visit nova.ie and try and find it...go on off you go! and they take the p1ss outta people for not checking

also, they patch people live without telling them, and then act annoyed when the person says "eerm hi, can I guess the noise"

Greg G. is such a clown for that and no need to take the p1ss out of people that way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

and they bang on and on about the "list" for Nova noise

visit nova.ie and try and find it...go on off you go! and they take the p1ss outta people for not checking

also, they patch people live without telling them, and then act annoyed when the person says "eerm hi, can I guess the noise"

Greg G. is such a clown for that and no need to take the p1ss out of people that way

That site is worse than what I've seen primary school kids doing for a project.

FanadMan wrote: »
    That site is worse than what I've seen primary school kids doing for a project.

Maybe dont be hanging around primary schools then.......:p

IMO GG probably hates having to do the "noise" thing.....leave it for "funny man" PC and all his listener with the "double-in" voices.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

furiousox wrote: »
    It was a breath of fresh air when it started.
    Now it's gone very stale, same songs over and over and over again.
    It's also gone more middle of the road, very similar to Today FM now.
    If it had any balls it should model itself on Planet Rock in the UK.

I agree it's gone for the Americana angle more and more - example the accent of that woman who says Nova in a minute/the "nova difference" here is what you get etc is starting to annoy me. They have started telling you all the music they play a lot, and I find myself shouting just play a f**king song, any song! I find most of the presenters a bit grating as well.

The throaty voiced girls who do the rock reports or whatever, are not as annoying as some of the djs. I think it is clever the way Nova use a rock report as Gaeilge to cover their Irish language legal requirements.

But when all is said and done it is better then most other stations in Ireland for a particular demographic. They have tried to improve their playlist by introducing a "randomiser" segment in fairness to them. But it does feel as if it has "sold out" to the mainstream at this stage though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ronan Keating and Extreme (More Than Words) following Led Zepplin is unacceptable on any radio station!

feckin Marty "Hipster" Miller is back. New baby this, new baby that

stick with Conor Irwin and that comedian. snappy to the point know their stuff

The only Pink Floyd Marty Miller knows is Dark Side and The Wall, off to see Gilmour tonight, not a notion....never heard anything from his solo albums on the station..."Take a Breath" from On An Island is very radio friendly

• Advertisement

guile4582 wrote:
    Ronan Keating and Extreme (More Than Words) following Led Zepplin is unacceptable on any radio station!

Jeez - thankfully I didn't hear Ronan bloody Keating or else my phone would now be in the sea. What the hell are they at? They are ruining what was a great station - will soon be another 2FM or Today FM.

I agree it's gone for the Americana angle more and more - example the accent of that woman who says Nova in a minute/the "nova difference" here is what you get etc is starting to annoy me. They have started telling you all the music they play a lot, and I find myself shouting just play a f**king song, any song! I find most of the presenters a bit grating as well.

The throaty voiced girls who do the rock reports or whatever, are not as annoying as some of the djs. I think it is clever the way Nova use a rock report as Gaeilge to cover their Irish language legal requirements.

But when all is said and done it is better then most other stations in Ireland for a particular demographic. They have tried to improve their playlist by introducing a "randomiser" segment in fairness to them. But it does feel as if it has "sold out" to the mainstream at this stage though.

Have you heard them say "zee" now instead of "zed".....so sad...its like theyre embarassed to be irish, OMG seems like we've actually like lost out identidy altogether..actually....i axe ya...:rolleyes:
    Jeez - thankfully I didn't hear Ronan bloody Keating or else my phone would now be in the sea. What the hell are they at? They are ruining what was a great station - will soon be another 2FM or Today FM.

Original Nova was, not this re-incarnation imo....:)

I think they might suck a lot of TXFM listeners when it closes, but i cant see them sticking around for long..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

A new presenter on Nova, but no stranger to radio, Lisa Gernon is presenting 80s/90s and Nova Nights now. The last time I heard her was on Late Night Talk with Tom O'Brannagain on 98fm all those years ago. I'm sure she was a newsreader on the station as well at some point. I wonder if she is just filling in on Nova or if she is a permanent presenter on the station from now on.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    A new presenter on Nova, but no stranger to radio, Lisa Gernon is presenting 80s/90s and Nova Nights now. The last time I heard her was on Late Night Talk with Tom O'Brannagain on 98fm all those years ago. I'm sure she was a newsreader on the station as well at some point. I wonder if she is just filling in on Nova or if she is a permanent presenter on the station from now on.

According to linkedin, Lisa Gernon has been and still is involved with RTE One's The Taste of Success. She has previously been involved in various capacities with East Coast FM, Spin South West, Limerick's Live 95, RTE Cork and Green Inc Film and Television productions on RTE Television.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lisa-gernon-7b961813

So, is she a temporary stand-in for Jack Hyland or has he now gone the same way as Sinead Ni Mhordha? I can't keep up with all these changes!

Does anyone have the new 087 txt number for them? I miss it every time its on. Still better than the 5 number - costs a fortune for me.

According to linkedin, Lisa Gernon has been and still is involved with RTE One's The Taste of Success. She has previously been involved in various capacities with East Coast FM, Spin South West, Limerick's Live 95, RTE Cork and Green Inc Film and Television productions on RTE Television.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lisa-gernon-7b961813

So, is she a temporary stand-in for Jack Hyland or has he now gone the same way as Sinead Ni Mhordha? I can't keep up with all these changes![/QUOTE]

I cant keep up with the fact that anyone can be a DJ thesedays..no credentials necessary...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

have to say its gone the dogs, all very 98fm ish in the mornings and courtney just bangs on in the evenings.
    same tunes all the time, sad to see it gone this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

rafatoni wrote: »
    have to say its gone the dogs, all very 98fm ish in the mornings and courtney just bangs on in the evenings.
    same tunes all the time, sad to see it gone this way.

And sadly not in a good way, no Diamond dogs, none of the Dogs D'amour or even plain old Dogs.

Does anyone have the new 087 txt number for them? I miss it every time its on. Still better than the 5 number - costs a fortune for me.

And sadly not in a good way, no Diamond dogs, none of the Dogs D'amour or even plain old Dogs.

Thank christ...............:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Didn't realise Florence and the machine was a rock/classic rock artist :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Have to love 98fm phone show in the mornings great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jvan wrote: »
    Didn't realise Florence and the machine was a rock/classic rock artist :pac:

What else is she?

What else is she?

Sh1te..........:)

Have to love 98fm phone show in the mornings great fun

Have i missed something here or have you strayed into the wrong station?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sh1te..........:)

Ah she's not that bad but it's just not the sort of music I expect from a supposed rock station.
    Like somebody said a few posts back, the play list does seem to get watered down too appeal to the masses.
    It's still not a bad station but sometimes I wonder about the song choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Have i missed something here or have you strayed into the wrong station?

You have missed something, Adrian Kennedy at 10am

You have missed something, Adrian Kennedy at 10am

But I still don't see what this has got to do with Radio Nova - this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

Ronan Keating!!!!!? On Nova?
    Jesus! I knew Nova wasn't perfect, but at the very least I thought they stuck to their stated genre (rock/classic rock), regardless of how repetitive their playlists had become. That is shocking carry on.

• Advertisement

Seriously.....what is it with U bloody 2? Are they under contract to play them every hour and twice on a Sunday? Over the weekend I must have heard them at least once from every DJ. Is Brannigan getting money or some other "service" from Bono for all this airtime?

Advertisement