Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terrorfirmer's Recently Watched

• 28-02-2014 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Rise of the Zombies (2012)

Given that it's from the Asylum, the studio infamous for its knock offs, Rise of the Zombies does, for want of better word, rise above expectations.

It's cheap, and it's tacky, but the FX are good and for fans of the Walking Dead, it's a worthwhile watch.

Good gore can't entirely make up for poor acting, script, and direction, but it does enough to remain surprisingly watchable with its graphic blood letting.

6/10.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bad Milo (2013)

A surprisingly good watch, Bad Milo manages to capture the charm of movies like Gremlins and Critters rather well with its portrayal of a bowel dwelling demon that can tug at the heart strings.

Good acting, with a well rounded cast, and outrageously grotesque scenes contrasted with poignant moments, it's certainly worth a watch.

8/10.

The Lords of Salem (2012)

A solid effort from Rob Zombie, The Lords of Salem avoids the pitfall of most modern horrors which associate horror with in your face shock moments.

It's a slow burner, and the horror that builds arises from deeply instilled unsettling moments that work excellently thanks to a good cast.

It's surreal, and often confusing, but is an overall good effort well worth a viewing if you enjoy slow building horror.

8/10.

Cabin Fever III (2013)

Cabin Fever II wasn't that bad a movie, and although I would readily admit that it was a disappointment to those expecting a direct sequel, it worked on certain (albeit different audience) levels, despite its critical slating.

Cabin Fever III however, returns to the franchise roots, in that it discards the 'American Pie Gross Out' feel of the original sequel in favour of the factors that made the original so good: the collapse of integrity and loyalty in a group in the face of a deadly flesh eating disease.

Good FX, predictable story, but an ultimately enjoyable journey (aptly starring Sean Austin).

6.5/10.

Curse of Chucky (2013)

Many reviews have lauded this movie, with several remarking that it should have been a cinema release.

It's certainly a step above the recent Chucky movies, and is an enjoyable affair with plenty of blood letting and quality puppetry, but I'd stop short of a cinematic release- enjoyable, but little more, and if nothing else, proof that there's still life in the franchise.

6/10.

Last Days on Mars (2013)

Zombies in space is a grossly unrepresented genre; two years ago, taking note of such an absence, a few friends and I watched 'Astro Zombies', which transpired to be a total mess devoid of any redeemable qualities.

Fortunately, Last Days on Mars seeks to redress the balance, and although far from being a classic, it does hold up as a respectable film that respectfully incorporates both sci-fi and horror to an admirable level. It's not perfect, but for a relatively low budget affair the FX are excellent and the cast competent.

It won't be remembered as a classic but it achieves enough to stand out as one of few commendable 'zombie space' movies laced with tension, gore and quality acting.

7/10.

• Advertisement

Nurse 3D (2013)

Nurse 3D is an exploitation feature reminiscent of the 80's classics.

Paz De La Heurta plays a nurse both sympathetic and emphatic by day, but a ruthless, man-hating killer by night.

It looks great, the FX are top notch, and if you can stomach the sheer sleaziness of the movie, it's a great entertaining watch that accomplishes what it sets out to achieve.

9/10.

Cabin Fever II (2009)

I thought I should mention this given the poor attention it received as part of the Cabin Fever franchise, particularly in light of the generally perceived improvement of Cabin Fever 3.

As a sequel to Cabin Fever it is a distinct disappointment; as a film in its own right, it's not as bad as critical reviews may lead you to believe.

It's crude, low brow, and has the depth of a child's shoe, but taken in its own right, it's a raunchy horror-comedy with great FX that could have done much worse.

Cabin Fever 3 is the better film for those who loved Cabin Fever; for those who enjoy trashy, gross out and unnecessarily violent features, it's a definite worthwhile watch with some recognizable faces that I must admit was my preferred choice of the sequels.

7/10.

7/10.

American Mary (2012)

While not quite the genre classic that some reviews made it out to be, American Mary is a good watch with unexpectedly good acting, very decent FX and some disturbingly brutal scenes.

It's hard to define what it was all about, but in the end, but it's a journey worth traveling.

7/10.

American Psycho II (2002)

American Psycho was a brilliant film, a work of critical satire whose relevance in blood held a strong message. Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman offered a startling window into the mind of a socially masked psychopath whose grip on reality slipped with with every passing moment.

American Psycho 2 however, is a shameless direct to video cash-in, with Mila Kunis's admittedly adequate performance as torch bearer, as well as a Shatner caemo, nowhere near enough to salvage what is an inherently terrible film.

3/10.

The Colony (2013)

This direct to DVD fare was better than it had any right to be - but that's not that say it's necessarily a good film.

The acting is competent, and the effects commendable for a low budget feature, but the plot felt as a couped up as its protagonists. It's rife with cliches, and is rather predictable to the end.

But, given the expectations of it - a straight to DVD feature - it's not a total waste of time and has enough to make it a worthwhile venture.

5.5/10.

• Advertisement

Hadn't seen either this or Martyrs, both of which came highly recommended, so that's one out of the way at least.

Very brutal French home invasion movie about a heavily pregnant woman who has to fight an intruder in her own home during the Paris riots. Story line's a bit stretched but it's visually disgusting, creative and deeply disturbing, culminating in one of the nastiest scenes I've seen in quite some time - gorehounds will definitely enjoy the movie, but it works as a decent thriller as well.

8/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Inside is fantastic alright.

Another worthy entry in the new wave of French horror cinema is Frontiers. Similar in tone to Martyrs & Inside but doesn't quite reach their level.

Switchblade Romance, despite the ridiculous ending is also well worth a watch if you havnt seen it.

Martyrs (2008)

IMDB

Martyrs really surprised me - not because it's particularly good, but because it's a very, very different film than I was led to believe. The first half of the movie is standard revenge fare that lives up to the nasty reputation that precedes the movie; the second is something else altogether.

I'm not sure I liked it, but there's no denying that it goes far beyond what you'd expect from what's on the tin, so to speak. It's not a single track movie like most movies of this type tend to be, and for that it does deserve a bit of credit. It's also visually impressive, with some brutal gore.

6/10 from me.

Beneath (2013)

IMDB

I'm surprised at the low rating on IMDB for this movie - as a fan of creature features, I have to say it's certainly one of the better ones I've seen lately, and most definitely a step above the SyFy caliber of productions I've grown accustomed to within the genre lately.

There's no CG used, and while the practical effects aren't admittedly any better for it, there's a certain nostalgic charm to them that I really enjoyed.

Acting is decent, and the fact that the flesh eating creature in question plays background to the gradual disintegration of friendships on an over-crowded boat as things start to get desperate works pretty well.

7/10 from me, really enjoyable movie.

V/H/S 2 (2013)

IMDB

For anyone unfamiliar with the V/H/S films, the premise is a series of short horror films woven together by a over-arching narrative (albeit incredibly flimsy one) - in a nutshell, each short film is played as characters watch VHS tapes in the main narrative that serves as a loose framework to hold it all together.

I really enjoyed it, much like the first one, it just has a nice Twilight Zone feel to it, and the subject matter is varied - zombies, the apocalypse, ghosts, aliens, and so on. Unfortunately, the quality also varies, but it's never unwatchable, and at it's best, it really is spectacular, with a fine blend of gore, suspense, sci-fi and horror.

Gareth Evans of 'The Raid' fame directs one of the segments.

8/10, I really enjoyed this one a lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Beneath (2013)
    Great stuff! Could definitely do with a monster movie, I'll keep an eye out for that one.
    V/H/S 2 (2013)
    Glad you enjoyed this one, I wasn't keen on the first but was really entertained by this. Inventive use of using first person cameras too. How did you rate the first one?

Irish film about an individuals descent into madness following a brutal life changing experience and his attempt to deal with the aftermath.

Great cinematography, solid acting, unnerving tension and some good effects.

Didn't feel like an Irish film, and could easily have been any number of higher budget efforts.

Highly recommended for fans of psychological horror, would liken it to the 2002 'The Ring' to establish a baseline from which prospective viewers to work from.

9/10.

IMDB

Hotel Inferno definitely offers something unique, in that the entire film is shot in first person. It seems to want to emulate a video game, and in that, it succeeds - it's frequently difficult to process what you're seeing is actual actors rather than computer generated imagery.

It's a violent film - just to call it a violent film does it a disservice - it's a hyper violent film with scenes of grotesque violence.

The acting and plot are severely lacking, however, and even at 75 minutes, the film felt too long. There's only so long one can watch a psuedo-video game feature without becoming jaded.

But for those appreciative of obscene violence and special effect wizardry, it's admittedly top notch.

A 5/10 from me, just about watchable, but featuring some extremely effective and horrifically brutal violence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Never heard of Hotel Inferno, sounds great! I'm sure my optimism will come to a grinding hault but you got me interested with the concept. Did you like the FPS part of Doom?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Never heard of Hotel Inferno, sounds great! I'm sure my optimism will come to a grinding hault but you got me interested with the concept. Did you like the FPS part of Doom?

That was about the only part of Doom that I liked :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Irish film about an individuals descent into madness following a brutal life changing experience and his attempt to deal with the aftermath.

Great cinematography, solid acting, unnerving tension and some good effects.

Didn't feel like an Irish film, and could easily have been any number of higher budget efforts.

Highly recommended for fans of psychological horror, would liken it to the 2002 'The Ring' to establish a baseline from which prospective viewers to work from.

9/10.

I could be a bit blind but can't see the name of this movie? Sounds up my street though if you could give me details please?.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Caveat_

I could be a bit blind but can't see the name of this movie? Sounds up my street though if you could give me details please?.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2517658/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Forgot about this, but had to come back after the movie I watched last night.

Zombeavers

Standard enough setup as b-movie creature features go, but this was a serious bit of fun to watch with friends.

Goofy, over the top and with some of the best terrible special effects I've seen in some time - some fantastic little touches put this a shade above most films of this type, particularly the creative opening credits, the utterly random and absurd gags amongst an otherwise by the numbers script and some good cameo's as well.

Warning: strictly for lovers of tongue in cheek schlock but as a connoisseur it gets a solid 7/10 from me.

Tusk

A movie about one young man's encounter with another who wishes to turn him into something not-quite-human...

Great cast - that Johnny Depp would appear in a film of this caliber actually took me by surprise, as did an appearance by Hayley Joel Osmont.

Therein lies the problem, however. The first hour of the movie is fantastic, with strong performances, effective story telling and extended scenes of abstract dialogue that lend to a building sense of unease....but somewhere after the half hour mark, the film falls apart and aquanders everything that led to that point.

Now, a film of this nature, would have to be taken with a pinch of salt to begin with, but a slow burning first hour collapses and slides into total nonsense after that point. If a film could ever be called a film of two halves, this would be it. The film doesn't seem to know what it want's to be - a tongue in cheek horror, a campy b-movie, a spoof comedy - it tries to tick every box and ends up in a heap.

Not necessarily a terrible film and it has it's positives - more so a massively disappointing one considering what it could have been and an unforgivably dumb and nonsensical finale.

For a far superior film with a similar but far more consistent and effective tone, look at Human Centipede II.

As it is, Tusk - a new low for Kevin Smith. I would give it 4/10.

As above, so below.

My main gripe with As Above, So Below from the beginning was that it's yet another 'found footage' style movie, which is beginning to wear extremely thin thanks to an endless stream of low budget features these past few years.

Several friends delve into the endless miles of catacombs beneath Paris in search of a long lost archeological artifact...and encounter unexplainable occurances beyond their worst nightmares.

Thankfully, this is one of the better ones - in fact, unlike most films of this type, I'm actually glad they chose this medium over the conventional style, as it compliments it perfectly.

The most apt comparison I can think of without giving too much away is Neil Marshall's The Descent - if you dug that movie, you'll probably like this one too. It manages to be so much more than simply a full blown horror, weaving together mystery, thriller, adventure, historical and other elements besides.

It's commendable for being unique in that sense - not just another tired rehash of any number of horror cliches, but something somewhat fresh.

I really enjoyed this movie and would give it 8/10.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have to say I really did enjoy as above so below, planning to watch tusk next....... ill give it a chance :)

Goal of the Dead

Building on the long standing tradition that began with 'Night of the Living' and brought us through Dawn of, Day of, Flight of, Children of, War of, City of, Return of, Apocalypse of, and who-can-even-remember-at-this-stage of the Dead, the title 'Goal of the Dead' at the very least would pique your interest for being a somewhat fresh idea in a stale genre - the beautiful game and zombies, together at last!

It's a film of two halves - and I'm happy to say that that's a quite literal statement; reflecting it's subject matter, the film is actually divided into two distinct parts within it's 2 hour run-time.

The movie puts itself forward as a horror-comedy - and not for want of effort, the movie unfortunately just isn't that funny. The acting and characters are good, as are the practical effects. It neither looks or comes across as cheap, but it does fail to hit the mark on almost every level. It clearly wants to be something akin to Shaun of the Dead. It's also quite a long film at two hours, and they real mayhem doesn't kick off - excuse the pun - until almost halfway through it's run time.

As for the union between soccer and zombies - certainly unique but ultimately disappointing and feels forced in its execution. Overall, it's not a bad movie, just not a particularly good one, either.

A real 5/10 movie - not a waste of time to watch, but there are probably loads of movies on your 'to-watch' list that deserve priority. For better foreign Zombie films, check out the also-French 'La Horde', or 'Juan of the Dead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xander81

Curse of Chucky (2013)

Many reviews have lauded this movie, with several remarking that it should have been a cinema release.

It's certainly a step above the recent Chucky movies, and is an enjoyable affair with plenty of blood letting and quality puppetry, but I'd stop short of a cinematic release- enjoyable, but little more, and if nothing else, proof that there's still life in the franchise.

6/10.

Curse of chucky is good.
    But Annabelle for me is better, when it comes to a doll movie.

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead

Mad Max meets Dawn of the Dead - so says Empire, and who in their right mind could pass up on that?

Wyrmwood is a low-budget albeit sharply produced Austrailian zombie flick that follows Barry, man who stands to loose everything worth anything in his life as the zombie apocalypse invades his quiet suburban life.

For fans of tongue in cheek cinema - it's not an entirely serious affair, full of that wonderful Austrailian humour that serves previous films from that side of the world like Undead and Braindead so very well.

It's not big and it's not clever, but one of it's greatest strengths is that it never seeks to stretch itself beyond its means - and it excels in what it does. The above trailer gives quite a lot away - the details of which I won't go into here. I prefer to know as little about a film as possible going into it, save for the basic framework.

Great characters, witty script, enjoyable bloodletting and a fresh take on a very, very tired and over-saturated genre - highly recommended and a 9/10 for me!

Also it's unbelievably awesome poster certainly deserves a mention...

• Advertisement

So it's literally been two years since I posted here and I've watched probably dozens if not a hundred horror movies since, but one I watched last night sort of prompted me to return.

I've always been a major fan of Eli Roth's original 2002 movie, and I also have a soft spot for the sequel.... despite Ti West's public disowning of the end product.

It was hard to understand what the point of this movie was, just 14 years after the original film and barely three years after CF3, but equally it was hard not to be cautiously optimistic of what a re-boot might offer, especially when Eli Roth was so closely involved with the production.

We all know that when it was finally released, it was overwhelmingly savaged in reviews that branded it a totally unnecessary, inferior shot for shot remake of the original - which killed my interest in it stone dead.

But is it that bad? A curiosity that would just not go away so I decided I could probably do worse on a very rainy afternoon.

Short answer - no. It's entirely watchable, goofy, easy viewing that raises a fair few smiles in that way only shlocky, camp horrors of this ilk can deliver.

Longer answer - it is undeniably a lazy remake that manages to accomplish nothing over the superior original, full of plot absurdities even by the low standards of the genre.

It has one or two brilliant, grotesque moments that genuinely rise above even the original film - which are sadly largely squandered by a very inconsistent tone, poor script, illogical behaviors and cheap (albeit good looking) gore.

One thing that stands out for me is that while it is based on the script for the 2002 movie, unless I'm very much mis-remembering how it unfolded, this is reasonably different enough that it's worth a look - there's a lot of familiar stuff in there, granted, but there's both entirely original and altered content in there too.

Verdict - most definitely inferior to the original but not quite the train-wreck I expected, but largely makes a mess of balancing the horror/comedy tropes and is pretty forgettable - no better or worse, I would say, than the 2009 Friday the 13th film.

Still, I'd give it 5/10. Maybe push that to a 6 if you find yourself housebound on a rainy day like I did yesterday. :)

Advertisement