Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1933 German General Election

• 23-02-2020 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

In the 1933 German general election, the Nazi party did not achieve a majority and had to negotiate a coalition with a smaller party to become the ruling party.

On achieving government office, their attached militaristic organisation terrorised opponents of the party and gained control of the German Presidency. The Nazi party rallies were designed to impress on the German people how great the Nazi party was for Germany without any tangible nor beneficial results for German citizens.

History is important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Baseball72

Indeed, I think there was deadlock in the first election(?) that year......

Nurenburg Rallies......intimidating....the rallies worked for them.

Neil Kinnock lead a rally in Sheffield prior to the 92 British GE - ended badly for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If history is so important to you, why didnt you comment on the Irish tradition of political rallies?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

If history is so important to you, why didnt you comment on the Irish tradition of political rallies?

Please refer to the thread headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What is the point of this thread?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Scoondal wrote: »
    Please refer to the thread headline.
    Mod:Ok, then I've removed the reference to Ireland from your post, if this thread is nothing to do with Ireland

• Advertisement

Mod:Ok, then I've removed the reference to Ireland from your post, if this thread is nothing to do with Ireland

Thanks.

This thread is about how Nazis got minority support in elections, but then managed to gain an authocratic government where opposition became a dangerous stance for everyone.

If anyone here disputes my opinions of German politics in the 1930s, I am willing to discuss such differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Thanks.

This thread is about how Nazis got minority support in elections, but then managed to gain an authocratic government where opposition became a dangerous stance for everyone.

If anyone here disputes my opinions of German politics in the 1930s, I am willing to discuss such differences.

That's not what people are disputing. It's the links with the German 1933 GE & the Irish 2020 GE that people are disputing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bdoon51

Over the centuries "rallies" have occured in most cultures, nations, etc.....certainly not just Irish and Germans. In fact, until the Irish Free State was formed in the early 20th Century, "rallies" in Ireland were forbidden by British law. Doesn't mean they did not occur but history records there was a price to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bdoon51

In the 1933 German general election, the Nazi party did not achieve a majority and had to negotiate a coalition with a smaller party to become the ruling party.

On achieving government office, their attached militaristic organisation terrorised opponents of the party and gained control of the German Presidency. The Nazi party rallies were designed to impress on the German people how great the Nazi party was for Germany without any tangible nor beneficial results for German citizens.

History is important.

Indeed History is important .... doubtful History repeats itself but there is much that can be garnered at looking at historical trends and perhaps even events.

While the human species for the most part considers itself far more advanced than 10,ooo or even 1000 years ago,I believe the underlying emotive/instinctual motivations remain the same. We "smart apes" are not so different than when we migrated out of Africa 200,000 years ago.

Bdoon51 wrote: »
    Indeed History is important .... doubtful History repeats itself but there is much that can be garnered at looking at historical trends and perhaps even events.

While the human species for the most part considers itself far more advanced than 10,ooo or even 1000 years ago,I believe the underlying emotive/instinctual motivations remain the same. We "smart apes" are not so different than when we migrated out of Africa 200,000 years ago.

No and yes.

Yes for our emotive/instinctual motivations that are ingrained in our genes to always look for a threat and then to elimanate such a threat.
    No, for history repeating itself. Obviously history does not exactly repeat itself, but elements of history can be seen to repeat themselves. This is especially so in European military history. Some themes and some military campaigns have repeated themselves often in Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement