Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Meh, pretty forgettable Spring for me weatherwise. Only Easter stands out really. Not the best, not the worst.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

apart from the 5 days of Easter, this Spring was not good, too cold for the majority of it and nothing eventful. In general 2019 has not been a good year so far in terms of what I'd like to see each season. The complete opposite of 2018.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Finally starting to dry up outside after quite an unsettled, cold and wet week. Next week looks promising, but those coastal sea breezes could keep temperatures down particularly over Leinster. Looks very nice into the west with decent temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still raining in Letterkenny. Brighter than the rest of the week but still fairly cold with light showers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Strong warm sun but a keen breeze off the ocean. it has been very dry here all week and I am having to water my many seed trays every day. Most unusual!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice bit of heat in the sun now. Still a lot of cloud about but sun definitely starting to assert itself a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Amazingly sunny in West Clare, clouds to the east but they do little to bother us here. It's cool though, 13.3c atm and for some reason I am absolutely freezing today, cannot warm up.

Gonzo wrote: »
    apart from the 5 days of Easter, this Spring was not good, too cold for the majority of it and nothing eventful. In general 2019 has not been a good year so far in terms of what I'd like to see each season. The complete opposite of 2018.

Kind of strange from a temperature perspective, April was close to average overall (thanks to the warm Easter) although the vast majority of it was cold. March was milder than average though we have seen milder Marches like 2012, 2014 or 2017. May has so far been significantly cooler than average. Not a big deviation from average if May starts to warm up a bit but I have felt it being very cold at times during this Spring. Stats don't show it. Maybe I'm getting old :p

Going by this graph of Dunsany's daily records for 2019 so far up to May 10th, there seems to be a lack of progression in temperatures this Spring besides the warm Easter which I marked (as well as the very wet first half of March).

6I8eG1g.png

Here's the whole of 2018 to compare. Definitely a more marked progression in 2018 after a bitterly cold start to Spring.

yFCqPpI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

When the sun is out (which has been most of the time ) it’s warm !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Finally starting to dry up outside after quite an unsettled, cold and wet week. Next week looks promising, but those coastal sea breezes could keep temperatures down particularly over Leinster. Looks very nice into the west with decent temperatures.

I think you need to move west Gonzo, where it is always sunny and warm (the reason why we are known as the 'California of Europe') The brutally cold and wet climate of the east clearly does not suit you.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think you need to move west Gonzo, where it is always sunny and warm (the reason why we are known as the 'California of Europe') The brutally cold and wet climate of the east clearly does not suit you.

we've had it a bit rough recently alright, I don't mind cold wet weather in the winter but the past week has been really poor for early May. Our house has very little insulation so the general cold of the past 3 months has really built up. Winter this year generally felt milder from start to finish than our Spring has.

Thankfully the coming week looks dryer and with temperatures one would expect around mid May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

we've had it a bit rough recently alright, I don't mind cold wet weather in the winter but the past week has been really poor for early May. Our house has very little insulation so the general cold of the past 3 months has really built up. Winter this year generally felt milder from start to finish than our Spring has.

Thankfully the coming week looks dryer and with temperatures one would expect around mid May.

I was being slightly sardonic of course, but it does seem (unless my perceptions are way off) that we in the west do tend to get the best of the weather during the late Spring/early Summer period, but the worst of it during the rest of the warm season. Maybe this is due to the SSTs in the Irish Sea not really warming up enough to have a positive influence (in the east) until about July or thereabouts.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I was being slightly sardonic of course, but it does seem (unless my perceptions are way off) that we in the west do tend to get the best of the weather during the late Spring/early Summer period, but the worst of it during the rest of the warm season. Maybe this is due to the SSTs in the Irish Sea not really warming up enough to have a positive influence (in the east) until about July or thereabouts.

yep most years I seem to remember the west gets better weather and temperatures in May, especially when there is an east wind/high pressure. Winds in off a cold Irish Sea really knock the edge of temperatures here most Mays, I remember the west getting 22C and even 23C some days in May while right on the east coast would be only 9 or 10C with inland eastern areas getting more like 15C or 16C.

Even during the heatwave last June, the west got several degrees warmer than the east most days due to that onshore east wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Turned into a nice enough day in Letterkenny, still the odd shower and plenty of cloud but nice and bright and the first day in a while I'd call 'spring like'.

I'd definitely agree that more often than not late spring into June is the nicest time of year in the west. The Atlantic is at its quietest around now and only starts to pick up energy again by July, once that happens we're usually back to the usual muck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its a beautiful evening on the north Mayo coast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Its a beautiful evening on the north Mayo coast
    Lovely shot. You have your lawn well manicured.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Glorious

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

km79 wrote: »
    Glorious

Generally clear skies here today but occasional heavy cloud. Again warm when the sun was shining and quickly cold when it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Roasted out of it in the back garden today. Back thinking about that much needed parasol..

decent sunshine today and not a drop of rain, even tho it was still quite chilly. Tomorrow see's a big boost in temperatures, a 15C is possible and up to 18C on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

11 days of May gone. 2mm of rain so far in Sligo town . Prob after 17 days it will be still only 5mm.

The only wet month of 2019 here in the NW has been March when there was nearly 200mm

The other months have all been below 100mm

April 57mm
    Jan and Feb totalled 168mm

Dunsany total now up to 23.4mm so far this month, most of that fallen over the past 4 days.

After a relatively dry winter, Spring has been fairly wet.

January - 38.2
    February - 34.5
    March - 109.4
    April - 73.1
    May (so far) 23.4

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No rain out here; having to water my seedlings twice daily...no rain in view for maybe another week.. grey and chilly now with a nippy breeze.. west mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Glorious morning yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Temperatures doing much better today, 14 degrees at 10am @ Mount dillon and Athenry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice sunny morning here warm in the sun but a little bit breezy taking the edge of the warmth. If the breeze wasn’t there it would be glorious but it is still great.

My preliminary analogues for Summer 2019 show mixed signals... June and July looking unsettled with some thundery possibilities I would think. August looks more anticyclonic (would make a change on most Augusts since 2003).

These analogues are only preliminary and are not the final ones so will not be the ones considered for the forecast.

My analogues did pick up last Summer extremely well with a hot June and July and a deterioration in August. They fared poor in Winter 2018/19.

Summer 2019 forecast will be released on Tuesday, May 28th.

Have not been posting the individual analogues because I felt it was getting somewhat tedious to scroll down threads with constant charts like these.

48Jvn9N.png

6c4spxu.png

sug7JEm.png

rwbMnvi.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »
    11 days of May gone. 2mm of rain so far in Sligo town . Prob after 17 days it will be still only 5mm.

The only wet month of 2019 here in the NW has been March when there was nearly 200mm

The other months have all been below 100mm

April 57mm
    Jan and Feb totalled 168mm

You are doing well, we have had close to 620mm of rain in Castlebar so far this year, only an unusually dry May ( 6mm ) is keeping it under last year's total for the same period.

We are heading for our driest May in the last 70 years of the records I have, it is probably longer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

sryanbruen wrote: »
    My preliminary analogues for Summer 2019 show mixed signals... June and July looking unsettled with some thundery possibilities I would think. August looks more anticyclonic (would make a change on most Augusts since 2003).

These analogues are only preliminary and are not the final ones so will not be the ones considered for the forecast.

My analogues did pick up last Summer extremely well with a hot June and July and a deterioration in August. They fared poor in Winter 2018/19.

Summer 2019 forecast will be released on Tuesday, May 28th.

Looking forward to the forecast. Almost perfect prediction last year. A nice August would be great for a change.

• Advertisement

Today is a massive improvement over the bitterly cold conditions of the past week, feels almost tropical in comparison.

Advertisement