Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

lmimmfn wrote: »
    wow, netflix, what a **** service, new movies are Men Who Stare At Goats and Kill Bill 2.

lmfao, bit of a joke to be honest.

Agreed, but its early days, have to say the lack of surround sound on most of the content is what i find most shocking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've noticed a lot of the aspect ratios are incorrect. Many 2.35:1 films, especially on US Netflix, are cropped to 1.78:1. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Aspect ratio is pretty annoying but I have another concern.

I'm using Playmo.tv because its free to use with US Netflix but it seems very slow. It is not my internet connection and the shows/movies stream without any delay or buffering at the highest quality but is it slow because playmo.tv is beta and still a young company or something else?

Should I change back to unblockus?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I gather new means newly added here not newly released.
    I can't tell how often new things are added though

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

I've noticed a lot of the aspect ratios are incorrect. Many 2.35:1 films, especially on US Netflix, are cropped to 1.78:1. Very annoying.

yeah what's the deal with that, watched Halloween H20 off the US netflix and it was opened up to 1.78:1 and looked awful, clearly not how it was meant to be shown as the amount of wasted space at the top and bottom was so distracting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Beer Baron wrote: »

I'm using Playmo.tv because its free to use with US Netflix but it seems very slow. It is not my internet connection and the shows/movies stream without any delay or buffering at the highest quality but is it slow because playmo.tv is beta and still a young company or something else?

I thought unblock-us was needed to run US Netflix, is this not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dubba wrote: »
    I thought unblock-us was needed to run US Netflix, is this not the case?
    Yes, PlaymoTV offers the same service.. but for free.

PS - Haven't noticed any speed issues on it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I don't mind that so much at least they are still widescreen, what annoyed me was that (a very) few are 4/3, JFK and Dr. Zhivago for instance which is much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Really missing Netflix... Hope the Ulster Bank debit card issue is sorted soon. Has anyone here successfully used an O2 prepaid Visa successfully? I'd consider using it as a short-term solution until the UB cards are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Beer Baron wrote: »

No issue here running Playmo and the US service. My only bug bear is that I'm viewing through a htpc and stream quality is pretty bad...with no 5.1 sound (it's a dismal 64kbps audio stream).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

wow, netflix, what a **** service, new movies are Men Who Stare At Goats and Kill Bill 2.

jc84 wrote: »
    Agreed, but its early days, have to say the lack of surround sound on most of the content is what i find most shocking

Its 20c a day. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nforce wrote: »
    No issue here running Playmo and the US service. My only bug bear is that I'm viewing through a htpc and stream quality is pretty bad...with no 5.1 sound (it's a dismal 64kbps audio stream).

The aspect ratio is what drives me nuts. It's fine with Newly released TV shows and Movies but not old ones and there is nothing I can do to change it as other aspect ratios distort the image and cannot stretch to accomodate it. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume the reason for the cropped and open matte aspect ratios is that the distributors are providing Netflix with the broadcast versions of films. Many television channels in the US simply won't air films at 2.35:1. Go back a few years and many them wouldn't have even aired them at 1.78:1 which is why there's probably still a few 4:3 versions floating around.

Has anyone come across this on the Irish catalogue as well?

I assume the reason for the cropped and open matte aspect ratios is that the distributors are providing Netflix with the broadcast versions of films. Many television channels in the US simply won't air films at 2.35:1. Go back a few years and many them wouldn't have even aired them at 1.78:1 which is why there's probably still a few 4:3 versions floating around.

Has anyone come across this on the Irish catalogue as well?

Even odder are the various films made in English which have French of Spanish titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the US one is worth it for the tv shows alone, 7 quid a month for every episode or close to of The X-Files, the 90's X-men and Spiderman cartoons, Spongebob, Breaking Bad, Battlestar, Mad Men, Friday Night Lights, Lost, Frasier, Cheers, Scrubs, How I met Your Mother, Star Trek and others? yes please. thousands of hours of tv for 20c a day is a fcuking steal, the movies are just an added bonus for me.

was anyone as shocked as me to see King Of The Hill ran for over 250 episodes? I had no idea it was on tv that long

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Has anyone here successfully used an O2 prepaid Visa successfully? I'd consider using it as a short-term solution until the UB cards are sorted.

Yes. But with o2 cards don't you have to wait until they post you out a code that you type into their site to activate the card. They need to confirm your address or something.

The UB issue will probably be fixed by the time you get that code in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

How is everyone finding unblock-us? I think my trial is just about up, is signing up worth it as opposed to playmo?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

foxerv1 wrote: »
    How is everyone finding unblock-us? I think my trial is just about up, is signing up worth it as opposed to playmo?

well if playmo is free and works I would go with that. I'm on unblock US and it works great, paid for the year so won't be switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    well if playmo is free and works I would go with that. I'm on unblock US and it works great, paid for the year so won't be switching over.

Im just thinking that i only have a 3mb connection and i see some complaints about speed with playmo.

Think i'll just bite the bullet, $4.99 is a small price to pay.

As an aside does unblock-us work with lastfm?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Im just thinking that i only have a 3mb connection and i see some complaints about speed with playmo.

Think i'll just bite the bullet, $4.99 is a small price to pay.

As an aside does unblock-us work with lastfm?

3MB ain't too bad. Sometimes use unblock us on a 1mb connection and its fine. Don't know about lastfm. If you just pay for the whole year rather than the 4.99 per month it works out about 10 dollars cheaper i think. Only danger is if netflix decide to block it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Playmo tv is free for the time being as is Unblock Us if you are using a Ps3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Unblock US works with Hulu and the video store on US PSN so I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work with Last fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Galway Print

I love Netflix myself, outstanding value! Considering that on Sky, after paying your tv licence and Sky sub, you still have to watch 15 - 20 mins per hour of adverts! Netflix you can watch your way through entire series without a single ad, for myself I would have paid Sky a premium over the last ten years to have been ad free.

Great listings on the US site:
    All the Stargate SG1 & Atlantis
    Watching Lie to Me from the start, never saw the early episodes
    Inspector Gently (filmed in Ireland with Martin Shaw, 9 out of 11 episodes on)
    All of Men Behaving Badly
    All of Frasier

Just loads of great TV and my wife loves being able to watch all her fav series from the start and whenever she wants to.

All round success I think and streams beautifully on our new Samsung Smart TV. That also has Freesat tuner and have my free to air box with hard drive recorder plugged in so will finally be waving googbye to Sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Galway Print

Oh yes, watched movie 'Limitless' last night, very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

3 seasons of Parks and Recreations on US Netflix..

.. get to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Basq wrote: »
    3 seasons of Parks and Recreations on US Netflix..

.. get to it!
    You had me at meat tornado.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

liking netflix so far, have watched a few movies and am working my way through wallander.. I know it;s only launched a month ago, but they could have launched with a much bigger tv show line up.. star trek, stargate, x files, are but a few shows they could be showing, if the netflix content is not updated regularly they will sink in the Irish and English market..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    liking netflix so far, have watched a few movies and am working my way through wallander.. I know it;s only launched a month ago, but they could have launched with a much bigger tv show line up.. star trek, stargate, x files, are but a few shows they could be showing, if the netflix content is not updated regularly they will sink in the Irish and English market..

every episode of all the variations of Star Trek (original, next gen, voyager, ds9, enterprise) are on the US version, as are the X-Files, if you have a ps3 then get the us one, its way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

krudler wrote: »
    every episode of all the variations of Star Trek (original, next gen, voyager, ds9, enterprise) are on the US version, as are the X-Files, if you have a ps3 then get the us one, its way better.

thanks for the reply,, Ive seen you can change your settings on the ps3 to get the us netflix, but Im worried that once I change the settings, that I won't be able to change them back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply,, Ive seen you can change your settings on the ps3 to get the us netflix, but Im worried that once I change the settings, that I won't be able to change them back..

You can reverse the setting just as easily.

The US Netflix site has an absolute huge catalogue of TV shows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement