Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noob starting out lifting - some questions/concerns

Options
  • 14-03-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Well folks, looking for advice or recommendations or whether these are normal things or whether they are something I should take care of.

1. I feel I'm really weak. I've done some manual work at home so I didn't think I should be city boy who never lifted anything in his life weak, but I feel I am. I did like 2x10 12.5kg dumbbells and my triceps were feeling the strain the most. I could feel DOMS in my chest the next couple days but not any strain during the exercise. Is this normal for a beginner?

2. I did some shoulder presses on a machine. Personally, it feels like the hands are too far out from the shoulder to press. My shoulders feel sore, probably DOMS but I also have concerns about my shoulder. I've had it a few times where it feels like my shoulder pops, for example putting my arm behind my pillow in a certain position. Reading up this sounds like a pinched nerve. Now even when I twist my arm or wrist I can feel a kind of ache. Not sure if this is potentially a shoulder problem.

3. I feel pressure on my knees when squatting. Even just bodyweight. I am trying to drop straight down to keep my knees above my feet but it's quite difficult.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Well folks, looking for advice or recommendations or whether these are normal things or whether they are something I should take care of.

This is very difficult to answer without seeing you lift, but I'll give it a go.
    1. I feel I'm really weak. I've done some manual work at home so I didn't think I should be city boy who never lifted anything in his life weak, but I feel I am. I did like 2x10 12.5kg dumbbells and my triceps were feeling the strain the most. I could feel DOMS in my chest the next couple days but not any strain during the exercise. Is this normal for a beginner?

You're not week, you're untrained. Straight comes with training. DOMS is perfectly normal.
    2. I did some shoulder presses on a machine. Personally, it feels like the hands are too far out from the shoulder to press. My shoulders feel sore, probably DOMS but I also have concerns about my shoulder. I've had it a few times where it feels like my shoulder pops, for example putting my arm behind my pillow in a certain position. Reading up this sounds like a pinched nerve. Now even when I twist my arm or wrist I can feel a kind of ache. Not sure if this is potentially a shoulder problem.

If the pain gets worse or stays the same after a few days then see a physio. And stop using the shoulder press machine anyway, use dumbbells.
    3. I feel pressure on my knees when squatting. Even just bodyweight. I am trying to drop straight down to keep my knees above my feet but it's quite difficult.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

You could have hip or ankle mobility issues. Test these and work on them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You sound like me the first time I went into a gym...

If you want to work away by yourself, that's fine, but the quickest way to get progress would be to work with a good and reputable personal trainer. Perhaps not the nearest one you can find but ask around (or here) for recommendations.

For bodyweight squatting, make sure your torso is rigid throughout, but don't worry if it leans forward as you descend. Initiate at the top by bending your knees and hips at the same time and keep the weight of your body distributed over the middle of your foot, i.e. not on your toes or heels. Stick your knees out wide to create room for your hips. Sink the hips down, then up.

If you're as stiff as a plank when you try to squat down like that, give the malasana pose a try. Do what you need to get into the position, i.e. grab onto a chair or have your back to the wall when you're starting off. But if you can eventually sit with your feet flat and chest up and knees out and stay like that for 30 seconds, then it's a wonderful achievement.

Don't worry about the doms. Like said above, you're untrained, so its to be expected. Find solace in the fact that if you keep up training, then today is the weakest you'll ever be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You sound like me the first time I went into a gym...

If you want to work away by yourself, that's fine, but the quickest way to get progress would be to work with a good and reputable personal trainer. Perhaps not the nearest one you can find but ask around (or here) for recommendations.

For bodyweight squatting, make sure your torso is rigid throughout, but don't worry if it leans forward as you descend. Initiate at the top by bending your knees and hips at the same time and keep the weight of your body distributed over the middle of your foot, i.e. not on your toes or heels. Stick your knees out wide to create room for your hips. Sink the hips down, then up.

If you're as stiff as a plank when you try to squat down like that, give the malasana pose a try. Do what you need to get into the position, i.e. grab onto a chair or have your back to the wall when you're starting off. But if you can eventually sit with your feet flat and chest up and knees out and stay like that for 30 seconds, then it's a wonderful achievement.

Don't worry about the doms. Like said above, you're untrained, so its to be expected. Find solace in the fact that if you keep up training, then today is the weakest you'll ever be.

Mmmmmmm malasana. Great with salad and chips.

In all seriousness, that's a great shout.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement