Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biodegradble Clay pigeons

Options
  • 11-03-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Any idea where i can find these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

The normal one all rot alway to nought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Zxthinger wrote: »
    The normal one all rot alway to nought.

They dont. Made up of limestone and pitch. Usually in an 80/20 mix

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That breaks down pretty quickly. Ground limestone,which is what farmers spread as "lime" on their land is even beneficial to some ground. Usually, the kind where rushes grow and would be used for impromptu clay shoots AKA Flappers. So you see ecologically minded us lot. Shoot clays over bad ground,the broken clays made of limestone will benefit the soil in the long run.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

.. and the pitch?

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    That breaks down pretty quickly. Ground limestone,which is what farmers spread as "lime" on their land is even beneficial to some ground. Usually, the kind where rushes grow and would be used for impromptu clay shoots AKA Flappers. So you see ecologically minded us lot. Shoot clays over bad ground,the broken clays made of limestone will benefit the soil in the long run.:)

Oil based pitch. It wont break down. And no it wont benefit it in the long run. Maybe over 100 years but for lime to benefit land it needs to be spread in tonnes per acre. Did it last year afrer my soil testing. 7 tonne an acre to get the levels back right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

I've been wondering about this for a while. Surely it would be easy to make a "clay" from some kind of composite that would decompose after a week or two with exposure to moisture.

Here you go...Make your own eco-friendly clay pigeons...Looks like fun for all the family project!:D

https://www.wheetarget.it/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Oil based pitch. It wont break down. And no it won't benefit it in the long run. Maybe over 100 years but for lime to benefit land it needs to be spread in tonnes per acre. Did it last year afrer my soil testing. 7 tonne an acre to get the levels back right.

You mean "coal tar" Kind of a jury out on that one...it's been and is still used in medicines for skin ailments to this day,You even still get it in the old farmers favourite, Lifebuoy soap:pac: Yet it is classified as a carcinogenic substance as well.
    TBH I'd say you'd be affected quicker from the lead shot and the plastic wadding, than from the amount of coal tar dust and fragments in the ground.

Gotta shoot more then to get up the tonnage of lime on your land.:pac:
    7 tonne an acre?? That's pretty heavy.Lots of rushes on the ground?Usually a sign of wetness and low lime levels.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You mean "coal tar" Kind of a jury out on that one...it's been and is still used in medicines for skin ailments to this day,You even still get it in the old farmers favourite, Lifebuoy soap:pac: Yet it is classified as a carcinogenic substance as well.
    TBH I'd say you'd be affected quicker from the lead shot and the plastic wadding, than from the amount of coal tar dust and fragments in the ground.

Gotta shoot more then to get up the tonnage of lime on your land.:pac:
    7 tonne an acre?? That's pretty heavy.Lots of rushes on the ground?Usually a sign of wetness and low lime levels.

No i mean oil based pitch. And the question wasnt the safety aspect of it but if it was bio degradable which it is not.

Advertisement