Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice track around Belfast

• 11-03-2019 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Myself and one of the lads snapped up a couple of tickets for the Open on the final day.. We are based in an air B and B in Belfast and are looking to play a round when we land up Saturday afternoon. No guarantee we'll be able to get a tee time at any of these, but assuming that's not an issue, have any of you played Rockmount golf club, Belvoir Park Golf Club or Balmoral Golf Club.

What were they like?

Any other courses in and around Belfast that we should play instead?

Thanks a mil,

Joey

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

IMHO the top courses in Belfast are Royal Belfast (out past Ikea), Belvoir or Malone.
    Galgorm Castle is not a million miles away (sort of en route to Portrush) but not as good as the above three.
    If I had to pick one I'd go with Royal Belfast as the views over the bay are super and there's one of the best par 3's in Ireland there too.

PS also Clandeboye but in the opposite direction from where you are headed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Lisburn golf club isn't a bad spot from what i remember. Its about 10 miles or so from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Can't recommend one very near Belfast but I did play Galgorm Castle and was not impressed. I would focus on the other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

All of the courses mentioned above are good, might be a problem getting tee times on Saturdays though unless they have opens on or your willing to go late afternoon. My favourites would be Belvoir or Malone.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Where are you travelling from? You could stop at a course along the way perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Cliftonville FC sorry GC in the heart of Belfast looks nice on their website have not played it so no hard facts

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Cliftonville FC sorry GC in the heart of Belfast looks nice on their website have not played it so no hard facts

Malone is the best course in Belfast. Pristine parkland golf, and meaty enough off the tee. 4 miles out of town.

Belvoir Park is also pristine, mature parkland golf. Enjoyable, but just not as striking or memorable as Malone. 2 miles out of town.

I adore Royal Belfast. It’s quirky and unusual, and the sea air is always a bonus. Not long enough to be championship golf, but amazing fun. Very well maintained.

All of the above have exceptional clubhouses.

Personally I’d put Lisburn at least on a par with Belvoir and Royal Belfast. Probably a better all round golfing experience; a wonderful mix of holes. 10 miles out of town.

Those are the area’s A tracks, though in Irish “top 100” terms, they’re all perhaps an A-, rather than an elite course.

There’s a clatter of B and B+ tracks

Shandon Park is fun (5 miles), with quality par 3s, but can get boggy.

Knock is physically next door to Shandon, and for my money is a better layout, and is definitely a meatier challenge.

Rockmount would be 8-10 miles out of town and has matured into an enjoyable golfing experience, only let down by a couple of bland holes on both 9s. Not easy found.

At the lower end of the Bs, Dunmurrry is well maintained and mature, but doesn’t have the bite of neighbouring Malone.

There’s decent courses too at Balmoral (2 miles), Fortwilliam (4 miles) and Holywood (8 miles) but if you’re only north for a few days, spend £20-30 more and play one of the better tracks.

——

Galgorm is the most overrated course in Ulster. It’s a fine complex and well maintained but it is the epitome of boring, flat, modern “championship” golf. The back 9 in a particular is uninspiring. Think moyvalley without the fine closing stretch.

Plus you’d have to drive 30 mins from Belfast to get there, which would also see you drive past the excellent Masserene.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Phew thank god, I thought you were going to say the blessed lakes only an hour an 10 minutes down the road, voted number one course in Ireland👀👀

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Haven't played it in a few years but Temple Patrick was always enjoyable , 15mins outside Belfast . Think Ulster PGA was held there a few times

[

quote="Joeyjoejoe43;109651251"]Hi lads,

Myself and one of the lads snapped up a couple of tickets for the Open on the final day.. We are based in an air B and B in Belfast and are looking to play a round when we land up Saturday afternoon. No guarantee we'll be able to get a tee time at any of these, but assuming that's not an issue, have any of you played Rockmount golf club, Belvoir Park Golf Club or Balmoral Golf Club.

What were they like?

Any other courses in and around Belfast that we should play instead?

Thanks a mil,

Joey[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Belvoir or Lisburn would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Eoinyh wrote: »
    Phew thank god, I thought you were going to say the blessed lakes only an hour an 10 minutes down the road, voted number one course in Ireland����
    :pac: Good one, nah and i looked at their website after i posted that and their is jack **** on it so not even sure whats going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭clog

Even at normal times it can be difficult getting a tee time at any of the bigger Belfast clubs on a Saturday as that is usually when they hold members comps.

I have just checked golfnet and Rockmount are holding an open that day so you should be able to get in there. I played it years ago not long after it opened and while not up there with Belvoir/Malone it was a decent course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Great advice all round lads. I have my own clubs captains qualifier that day, so I'll be playing that at 7am and then travelling up North, so won't be looking to tee off till around 13:30...

With that in mind I'd be hopeful of getting a tee time. The open in Rockmount sounds great, as it's nice to have something to play for in case you play out of your skin. From what people are saying Belvoir or Malone are the other ones I'm considering.

Thanks for the steer lads. Great to have a group of golfers to bounce these things off. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Great advice all round lads. I have my own clubs captains qualifier that day, so I'll be playing that at 7am and then travelling up North, so won't be looking to tee off till around 13:30...

With that in mind I'd be hopeful of getting a tee time. The open in Rockmount sounds great, as it's nice to have something to play for in case you play out of your skin. From what people are saying Belvoir or Malone are the other ones I'm considering.

Thanks for the steer lads. Great to have a group of golfers to bounce these things off. Cheers.

Yes definitely Malone or Belvoir for quality of you are limited to Belfast.

There are quite a few courses outside Belfast on the way up to the Port that are also worth paying at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Chopper83 wrote: »
    Yes definitely Malone or Belvoir for quality of you are limited to Belfast.

There are quite a few courses outside Belfast on the way up to the Port that are also worth paying at half the price.

Thanks Chopper... Want to get the majority of the journey chalked off before we play, so looking for someplace in and around Belfast.. Then drop bags. Shower. Shave. Out for pints in Belfast. Late night. Early rise. Train to Portrush. A feast of Major Championship golf...

Cant wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭redhill

Thanks Chopper... Want to get the majority of the journey chalked off before we play, so looking for someplace in and around Belfast.. Then drop bags. Shower. Shave. Out for pints in Belfast. Late night. Early rise. Train to Portrush. A feast of Major Championship golf...

Cant wait!!

Belvoir and Malone will have hefty green fees for a Saturday. Rockmount is a decent course that’s improving year on year so a good Shout probably

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Never played Rockmount myself so can't give an opinion on it. Some lovely courses about and even better 'watering holes' in the summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Rockmount is a fair wee jaunt out of town. In Dublin town centre perspective, it’s like heading to Swords.

Probably no issue, but worth thinking about.

I’ve picked up late afternoon Saturday tee times on Belvoir before for reasonable money. You probably won’t avail of those if booking in advance. Actually the pro is unlikely to give those slots to anyone until a fortnight before and the members have had their shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭redhill

thewobbler wrote: »
    Rockmount is a fair wee jaunt out of town. In Dublin town centre perspective, it’s like heading to Swords.

Probably no issue, but worth thinking about.

I’ve picked up late afternoon Saturday tee times on Belvoir before for reasonable money. You probably won’t avail of those if booking in advance. Actually the pro is unlikely to give those slots to anyone until a fortnight before and the members have had their shout.

Belvoir have started Juvenile comps from 3.00 ish on Saturdays right after the Men’s comps times have finished, however at least half membership will be in Portrush that weekend so the course could well be empty and tee times may be available, though as you say u may need to wait till nearer the day to avail of a good rate

Advertisement