Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost!

Options
  • 25-02-2019 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I was trendy! I loved clothes! I knew what fitted, what style, even colours suited and matched..... Then I had kids and it went out the window!!!
    I've been wearing the same type of jeans forever! And skinny ones I've just got in penneys or tesco and they did the trick. But now I've to cone to the stage, I want to feel good again in my clothes. I look at my sister in laws, sisters, friends and they just seem to have the most gorgeous clothes.
    Skinny jeans that actually fit and don't ruffle up thousand times, fabulous tops that you'd love to put on and just know you'd feel great.
    I know these all come at an expense though. I'd never have been the girl to go out buy jeans for 200e just because..... BUT surely there has to be a happy medium.
    Where do I start, how do you find what suits you best????????
    I need advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Maybe check brands like Weekday, Top Shop, River Island etc. Arket have apparently good jeans too (you can trial them for a month) and I think Cos are great quality although sometimes a bit unforgiving.

I understand how you feel, I felt a bit lost after kids were born and I gained a bit of weight. It took a while before I figured out what fitted well. It might be helpful to go to personal shopper who could help you with what fits you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Thanks so much. I haven't heard of some of those brands and that one that you can trial either, wow. I'm well out of the loop!
    A personal shopper that's an idea, what way does that work? Are they expensive? That definitely could be an option, I'd never of thought of that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

michdee wrote: »
    A personal shopper that's an idea, what way does that work? Are they expensive? That definitely could be an option, I'd never of thought of that thanks

I've never gone to one but I think Debenhams is free. Kildare Village also has one, so does Arnotts. Some others here know more about it. I think there was a thread about it a while ago.

Found it:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057829776/1/#post105829025

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

200 euro on jeans!!! I dont know anyone who's the type to spend that much. You dont have to spend allot of money on clothes to look nice. I always found pennies jeans to be strangely fitted. Why dont you try clothes shops like Top shop, New look, Pull and bear, H&M, you'd get lovely jeans for 20 - 50 euro.
    Would your sister go shopping with you? You could try the clothes on before you buy and get her opinion.

Thanks ladies, I suppose if I went myself with no time limits and just kept trying on u might have success!
    Yes 200e, I was never one to spend big on clothes esp one item like that, as I just wouldn't have the money so I'd really feel conscious if I asked her to come with me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Topshop have a good varierty of jeans, and I saw Clementine MacNeice the stylist had a lovely pair from M&S recently as well. I like Levis myself, but always buy in Kildare Village. Try, try and try on again with jeans, bring the shoes you're likely to be wearing with them day to day, be it boots, runners or whatever.

Are there any celebs whose clothes you like? Maybe pick up a copy of Stellar, Grazia or the likes and have a look through and see if anything catches your eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I swear by Amelie jeans from River Island. I don't buy anything else anymore. They're a reasonable enough price too at 55 euros and wash and wear well.
    I'm 5'3" and buy the short leg to wear with trainers or flats and the regular leg to wear with heels.

Thanks all, I'm going to check out each of the brands mentioned above.
    Yes I do love kildare village too, so will check out some in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

As others have suggested, suss out who's style you like, eg celebs etc - just to get an idea what styles you like, and don't like. Take some time to scroll through instagram or pintrest and suss out what you like and feel drawn to.

Then enlist the help of either a personal shopper or one of your friends/sisters/sis-in-law who's style you like and who you feel might be able to help you out. Actually if you get someone close to you, get them to see what's in your wardrobe that you could work with and to suss out what you might need.

Another suggestion would be instagram pages such as 925Style or YStyle who do personal styling for clients.

But at the end of the day, wear what you like to wear - once you become a mum you don't suddenly have to wear a "mommy uniform" but at the same time you can lose a bit of your own self.

I never heard of those pages thanks, they definitely going get checked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Or make your own?

Instead of wearing stuff that everyone else has, start by making a few tops in really fabulous fabric and once you’ve sussed your size properly, everything fits perfectly and you won’t look like a clone.

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    Or make your own?

Thanks but tbh I wouldn't know where to start with that. And with two young kids I really wouldn't have the time. It is a fantastic way though, imagine everything fitting you perfectly to your own body, sounds great

So checked out a few online stylists and thanks they give a great idea of things that work. So headed to the local shopping centre first thing yesterday morning and got a few pairs of jeans. Delighted with myself. Rhubarb crumble I tried those amelie jeans thanks, wasn't too sure about them on me tbh but will try again when I have somebody with me for an opinion. But they are reduced to 40e at the minute, incase you're interested.
    Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

michdee wrote: »
    Rhubarb crumble I tried those amelie jeans thanks, wasn't too sure about them on me tbh but will try again when I have somebody with me for an opinion. But they are reduced to 40e at the minute, incase you're interested.

Oh thanks for that. I could do with a new pair :)

Advertisement