Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford 4000 tractor wiring

• 23-01-2019 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this fits here, but maybe someone can help.

My friend has a 1969 Ford 4000 diesel tractor. When he got it, it wasn't running. Seized I think. He got it running, and asked me to take a look at the wiring. The heater plug wasn't working and the alternator was not charging. I had a look, and couldn't see any fusebox.

I took the entire wiring loom out, and could see that the main live wire to the ignition switch had just about burned out. I don't know how it didn't go up on fire. No fusebox. No fuses at all.

So he ordered a new loom, but when it came it was different to what I had taken out. He checked with the motor factors where he got it, and they reckoned that it should be the right one, even though the new loom was missing any way to connect the headlights, and looked like there was a place to install a regulator or something, among other things.

So my question is, is there, or was there, ever a fusebox on the tractor? ( I find it hard to believe there couldn't be ). The new loom had one in-line fuse on it, and that's all. Is there a few different looms for it? I'm aware that there is an alternator version, and a non alternator one, but this new one had other differences, like ther wire to the heater plug was too short.

The box it came in said Spareco or something, and listed it as Ford 2000, 3000, 4000.

I'm not sure if it's a pre Force tractor or not, since I'm not that up on tractors, so maybe there's a difference there?

MOD EDIT: Moved to Haulage & Heavy Machinery as there might be more tractor knowledge viewing there.

Advertisement