Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Award Season 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The BAFTA'S are on now and the Grammy Awards are on tomorrow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't understand how actors who make a living out of memorizing lines can't remember their acceptance speech lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

AMKC wrote: »
    The BAFTA'S are on now and the Grammy Awards are on tomorrow.

I thought Glenn Close and Salma Hayek looked well in black

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought Glenn Close and Salma Hayek looked well in black

Did you see Salma's shoes! She'd break her knees if she fell off them!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Did you see Salma's shoes! She'd break her knees if she fell off them!

No I didn't see her shoes but for 52 she looked stunning imho

9633640-6688821-WOW_The_52_year_old_screen_siren_was_turning_heads_all_over_as_s-a-220_1549826425845.jpg

• Advertisement

I loved the train on Olivia Colman's dress.
    I thought Kate Middleton's dress was beautiful but quite the most Jenny Packman-esque Alexander McQueen dress I've ever seen.
    Absolutely hate Amy Adams dress - I rarely love anything she wears, but this looks so stiff and matronly and the colour is quite dull and there's so much fussy detail (the big brooch reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe spilt something on her dress for an event and attached a big Christmas decoration thing to cover it!), plus a snakeskin clutch bag :o ... the centre parting doesn't work for me either :D
    Elanor Tomlinson's look is my favourite of what I've seen - stunning.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No I didn't see her shoes but for 52 she looked stunning imho

Oh for any age she looked stunning - the shoes made me do a double take though, they're about a foot high! More power to her for being able to wear them ;)

I loved the train on Olivia Colman's dress.
    I thought Kate Middleton's dress was beautiful but quite the most Jenny Packman-esque Alexander McQueen dress I've ever seen.
    Absolutely hate Amy Adams dress - I rarely love anything she wears, but this looks so stiff and matronly and the colour is quite dull and there's so much fussy detail (the big brooch reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe spilt something on her dress for an event and attached a big Christmas decoration thing to cover it!), plus a snakeskin clutch bag :o ... the centre parting doesn't work for me either :D

Olivia is so quirky and funny

I agree about Amy Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

In Ralph & Russo. Don't know when I last checked the name of a designer, but that is one of the most exquisite dresses I have ever seen in my whole life.
    https://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/eleanor-tomlinson-bafta-gown-2019

The Grammys had a mixed bag but I did like Dua Lipa in Versace

grammys-2016-red-carpet-32.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Regarding Dua Lipa. She does look stunning there alright. I have to say I never even heard of her before last night and can't say her song was up to much either. But fair play to her.

I thought Lady GAGA looked good and she sang the best song on the night too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The Brits were last night

I liked Winnie Harlow, her dress is by Elie Saab

bestdressed2002ag.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70

Love Elie Saab - remember the stunning dress Halle Berry wore when she won the Oscar for Monster's Ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Icsics

Giuliana looks skeletal again, you can see every bone in her back & shoulder. Hair is fab tho!

Mark Ronson looks cool, love the retro tux.
    Midnight blue is stunning on Octavia Spencer, and her hair is beautiful.
    I really like Regina King's dress - it's somewhat like the one a member of Little Mix (the blonde one) wore to the BRITs the other night, but not at all trashy looking. Very classy and the pure white is so fresh.
    Melissa McCarthy's outfit is cool and fits her well but I kind of wish the bodice/blouse was less white - I get that it's a play on a tux but a think a stronger colour, maybe oyster, would've been more striking. Maybe it's just the light. Still, as always, I do love a cape situation!

How is Angela Bassett 60? She looks incredible.
    Glenn Close looks fabulous in gold too - the older ladies are winning for me so far!
    Not loving Gemma Chan's pink frou-frou gown - I'm never a fan of that type of look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Linda Cardellini is..interesting!

leahyl wrote: »
    Linda Cardellini is..interesting!

I know - I kind of hate it but it kind of suits her?!

Lady Gaga again gone old school glamour

Lisa Bonet is ageless, she could pass as her daughter's twin sister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Billy Porter. Fantastic nod to the old Ball scene in NYC (House of Extravaganza)

Syme-Billy-Porter.jpg

Henry Golding - technically overdressed in white tie but done very very well

rs_634x1024-190224152820-634-2019-oscar-academy-awards-red-carpet-fashions-henry-goulding.cm.22419.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

And as always there were a good few guys in Tom Ford absolutely crushing it:

Chris Evans

chris-evans-oscars-2019-1551057386.jpg

Joe Alwyn

634-2019-oscar-academy-awards-red-carpet-fashions.jpg-joe-alwyn.cm.22419.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

Alex Rodriguez (can't find a solo pic of him without J-Lo :pac:)

jennifer-lopez-alex-rodriguez-oscars-2019-02.jpg

To be fair it's hard to look bad in Tom Ford evening wear...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Didn't watch the show but I saw some photos. One or two pink gowns can be lovely, half of red carpet in pink is nauseating. I don't mind dresses that show less flesh but it's a relief that London and Milan fashion weeks featured a bit more skin. When Maia Rudolph wears high neck, long sleeve dress that looks like it was made from one curtain and is then draped in another curtain I think we reached peak modesty wear.

Maia Rudolph's dress was hideous, and the hair and makeup did nothing for her. There's modesty and then there's that monstrosity.
    Makes you wonder what other dresses she was offered!

I thought Charlize Theron looked stunning. And I liked Gemma Chan's dress. Michelle Yeoh also looked nice. I'm sure there is more but I haven't look through many photos yet.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I thought Charlize Theron looked stunning. And I liked Gemma Chan's dress. Michelle Yeoh also looked nice. I'm sure there is more but I haven't look through many photos yet.

I don't like Charlize with dark hair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

My favourite

10249298-6742151-image-m-16_1551088730348.jpg

My least favourite

maya-rudolph.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley at the Vanity Fair after party.

rs_634x1024-190224213406-634.rosie-huntington-whiteley-vanity-fair-oscars-party-2019.ct.022419.jpg

Julia Roberts still a pretty woman in Elie Saab

julia-roberts-wows-in-pink-dress-while-presenting-at-oscars-2019-09.jpg

79b681acb7bcde7173eba0379fd62b3c

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I loved all the pink! It's not a colour that suits me at all, but I think we'll be seeing a lot of it in the shops for the summer.

• Advertisement

I don't dislike pink. But for me it's the color that needs to be used sparingly. There were quite a few dresses that were lovely but when you see them all together it makes me feel like I was transported into Barbie world. I thought Kiki Layne's dress complimented her skin tone lovely. Gemma Chan's pockets were just cool, there were quite a few nice dresses but a lot less interesting ones. I thought men had more fun with their outfits. It helps that black men can look cool in anything.

Edit: just to ad that Kendall Jenner has bigger following on Instagram than were the viewership numbers for Oscars. If anyone was worried that 'Kardashian and proud' style disappeared there is no need to worry.

Advertisement