Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Season 2018/2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Hi, going to Mayrhofen over Christmas with family - b&b. Looking for recommendations for;
    • Ski School - Kids
    • Lessons - Wife
    • Ski Hire
    • Evening Meals

Thanks in advance.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hi, going to Mayrhofen over Christmas with family - b&b. Looking for recommendations for;
    • Ski School - Kids
    • Lessons - Wife
    • Ski Hire
    • Evening Meals

Thanks in advance.

We were there last year, rented in the big place below the lift for connivance. We pre-booked online and did skis and passes with them so that we wouldn't have to queue. Worked well, there were big walk up queues for skis and at the skipass office. We took a locker off them as well which is located in the shop at the top of the lift (penkenbahn). You can return the skis at the top on the last day. Def not the cheapest but convenience was great.

They don't give much (if any) leeway when they close the lifts at the end of the day, felt a bit hard done by one of the days where they closed a piste down towards the main lifts home early (not a safety close) forced us into a gondella that they then held for ages, we bused it home when we finally got down to the next town over so it was grand just frustrating.

There are loads of options for eating out not sure any stand out more than others. Take out from the butchers opposite the lift is great and incredible value.

Good intermediate will ski out Mayrhofen easily enough, you prob wont with family there but Hintertux is great and is covered by your pass as is Hochzillertal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There's a decent sale on Oakley.com for Black Friday. Picked up a pair of Airbrake XL goggles for €130. Much cheaper than anywhere I've been looking online and the cheapest they've ever been on Amazon is 180 pounds. Handy pair to get as they come with a spare lens included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

So we had a change of plan from original destination(Alps d'Huez) and yesterday we booked Chamonix(got a really good deal-7 of us going mid January) If anyone has some experience,info etc about the place I'd love to hear-Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

mulbot wrote: »
    So we had a change of plan from original destination(Alps d'Huez) and yesterday we booked Chamonix(got a really good deal-7 of us going mid January) If anyone has some experience,info etc about the place I'd love to hear-Thanks

Only been there once which was enough tbh. It’s not like most resorts as it’s a proper town that happens to have some awesome skiing close by and that’s the problem. It’s split into different areas that are all a bus journey away from each other so it’s a pain in the arse to get around.
    On the plus side the skiing can be excellent but you tend to be confined to one are per day.
    If your group can all ski together it’s grand but otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Every skier should visit chamonix at least once. But madness' comments are correct, its a bit spread out. Its still an amazing place. The lifts are pretty insane (though I think the highest one may be out of action now). Town is very nice by ski town standards. It is 15 - 20 mins by bus to most of the resorts. Best skiing is in argentiere due to the slope aspect. Some pretty cool slopes in brevant and flegere too (and you can ski between them). Le tour is good for beginners. Just enjoy the amazing scenery, unique mountain atmosphere, very short transfer and don't plan to pop from one area to another to meet up with each other.

Lots of snow in the southern alps this weekend, some places in italy opening early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

a148pro wrote: »
    Every skier should visit chamonix at least once. But madness' comments are correct, its a bit spread out. Its still an amazing place. The lifts are pretty insane (though I think the highest one may be out of action now). Town is very nice by ski town standards. It is 15 - 20 mins by bus to most of the resorts. Best skiing is in argentiere due to the slope aspect. Some pretty cool slopes in brevant and flegere too (and you can ski between them). Le tour is good for beginners. Just enjoy the amazing scenery, unique mountain atmosphere, very short transfer and don't plan to pop from one area to another to meet up with each other.

Agree with this.
    The one time we ski'd in Chamonix, we were staying in Argentiere. And we've never been back to either. Just didn't do it for us enough to put on the repeat list. But Argentiere better than Chamonix IMO. For skiing anyway. If you like bigger towns, then Chamonix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Lots of snow in the southern alps this weekend, some places in italy opening early!

2NqTA.png

Yep, Flaine started getting its first falls earlier this week :D

Agree with this.
    The one time we ski'd in Chamonix, we were staying in Argentiere. And we've never been back to either. Just didn't do it for us enough to put on the repeat list. But Argentiere better than Chamonix IMO. For skiing anyway. If you like bigger towns, then Chamonix.

I've never stayed in Argentiere, but I absolutely love Chamonix, I've been there about 7 or 8 times. I don't like that the different ski areas are spread so far apart, but when you do get to them they're amazing, and worth the trip.

I think what separates Chamonix from a lot of other ski resorts is it's not so much a package holiday destination - most people are there to ski/board, with some partying thrown in, not vice versa. It's also a gorgeous town, with great restaurants and pubs. The architecture is traditional French, no the brutalist style of some of the purpose-built resorts like Les Arcs, Val Thorens, Flaine, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

cormee wrote: »
    I've never stayed in Argentiere, but I absolutely love Chamonix, I've been there about 7 or 8 times. I don't like that the different ski areas are spread so far apart, but when you do get to them they're amazing, and worth the trip.

I think what separates Chamonix from a lot of other ski resorts is it's not so much a package holiday destination - most people are there to ski/board, with some partying thrown in, not vice versa. It's also a gorgeous town, with great restaurants and pubs. The architecture is traditional French, no the brutalist style of some of the purpose-built resorts like Les Arcs, Val Thorens, Flaine, etc.

Good to hear this,some of the group aren't hardcore so will be nice to have the town to explore.Thanks for the info people.

mulbot wrote: »
    Good to hear this,some of the group aren't hardcore so will be nice to have the town to explore.Thanks for the info people.

Definitely wouldn't describe myself as hardcore, but I do enjoy the odd spot of snowboarding :D:D

Anyway, the whole ski area around Chamonix is amazing, Le Tour would be best for intermediates, and Grand Montet for the more advanced. Take the bus to Les Houches for a fun day out for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Redial

Centre Hit wrote: »
    Looks like I'm gonna be doing more drinking than skiing from all the recommendations, but sure how bad! Great to hear that the apres is good though. Any thoughts on ski rental, or all pretty much the same?

Used Hanson ski hire by Bobby’s pub. Schnapps while you wait. Good price. No complaints. Saalbach is superb. Ticks all the boxes.

Some great snow falls in Italy so far, I’ll be three in three weeks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

There's a decent sale on Oakley.com for Black Friday. Picked up a pair of Airbrake XL goggles for €130. Much cheaper than anywhere I've been looking online and the cheapest they've ever been on Amazon is 180 pounds. Handy pair to get as they come with a spare lens included.

How did you get them to Ireland? Seems to be US only?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

Part of Anpost which gives you a mailing address in the US and UK.

I've got my first order on the way so I don't know how duty & taxes work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

big mce wrote: »

There's an Irish site.
    https://www.oakley.com/en-ie

Just fyi the pair of airbrake xl's I got aren't there anymore. Assuming they sold out. Delivery was very quick (and free). Arrived from Italy in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

big mce wrote: »

Forgot to say - I bought from the website evo.com.

Smith optics goggles down from $240 to $123 (£230 sterling locally!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Is it snowing yet? time to get on the forecasts and webcams :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

The webcams always on my favourites, check everyday, no even going until end january. So addicted!

light snow in resort, last couple days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Where do the most Irish tend to go in Austria, out of interest? Will likely be going with Saalbach anyway, but was just wondering the most frequented from here?

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Is it snowing yet? time to get on the forecasts and webcams :D

Snowing in Flaine, flight and AirBnB booked for 17 Jan . 49 days, 20 hours and 59 minutes to go. ðŸ˜

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Where do the most Irish tend to go in Austria, out of interest? Will likely be going with Saalbach anyway, but was just wondering the most frequented from here?

A lot of people from this forum seem to go to St. Anton, but maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part, having visited the myself.

Lech seems popular too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

cormee wrote: »
    A lot of people from this forum seem to go to St. Anton, but maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part, having visited the myself.

Lech seems popular too.

St Anton is great for intermediate - good skiers, brilliantly for s party too.
    It’s a beautiful ski up to Lech (although required a small bus ride when I was there)

Anton very popular. Mayrhofen and soll also.

There's a good suggested rule - if you've heard of the resort before you're in the wrong place. It makes sense. You go to anton or chamonix and you will encounter loads of english and americans. Lift queues and prices to match. And if chasing powder every ski bum for 200 miles comes out of the woodwork.

Presumably it will be the same if you go to whistler, vail, aspen?

If, however, you go to a resort you've never heard of you may be pleasantly surprised, lesser queues and prices, no english first language speakers, and less powder competition.

Assuming of course you don't go somewhere with only 6 slopes.

I think its a good idea but I've barely practiced it myself. We're all drawn to what we've heard of.

Anton very popular. Mayrhofen and soll also.

There's a good suggested rule - if you've heard of the resort before you're in the wrong place. It makes sense. You go to anton or chamonix and you will encounter loads of english and americans. Lift queues and prices to match. And if chasing powder every ski bum for 200 miles comes out of the woodwork.

Presumably it will be the same if you go to whistler, vail, aspen?

If, however, you go to a resort you've never heard of you may be pleasantly surprised, lesser queues and prices, no english first language speakers, and less powder competition.

Assuming of course you don't go somewhere with only 6 slopes.

I think its a good idea but I've barely practiced it myself. We're all drawn to what we've heard of.

My best ski trips have usually been the ones to the less well know spots. I’ve been to the huge resorts which I love but there is something deeply satisfying about being in a smaller resort and having no queues and paying a lot less for it.

And kind of feeling like you're in on a little secret!

Those smaller resorts can have a great atmosphere too. People who live and work there because they want to, not the kind of "mine them for whatever they've got" attitude of some of the bigger (french) resorts

Having said that if I was forced to pick one resort for the rest of my life it would probably be 3v s

And kind of feeling like you're in on a little secret!

Those smaller resorts can have a great atmosphere too. People who live and work there because they want to, not the kind of "mine them for whatever they've got" attitude of some of the bigger (french) resorts

Having said that if I was forced to pick one resort for the rest of my life it would probably be 3v s

I love Italy for so many reasons but I’d happily ski the 3 valleys every year. I’m going again for the sixth time in January and I’m sure I haven’t skied it all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Is it that you want to meet up with lots of Irish when you go away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

cocker5 wrote: »
    Is it that you want to meet up with lots of Irish when you go away?

Nah just a random wondering really. I'll be with the other half and we'll be happy in our own company. A mostly English speaking ski school would help though

Advertisement