Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alliance of American Football 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

On YouTube too. Probably can't put up a link but it'll come up easily in a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Birmingham v Memphis is streaming live and free on the AAF YouTube page:

On second viewing, I don't think thats their official page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Watching salt lake v Arizona and it's been pretty entertaining. Hard to be too harsh on the QB play in week one of a brand new league, it'll take longer for the offenses to find their feet so it'll probably be more defensive for a while. That's definitely better than the easy option, which would have been to tilt the whole field in favour of offensive play in various ways. My suspicion is that's what the xfl will be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Hotshots off to a winning start!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have to day the uniforms and team names just don't do anything for me... they all scream highschool setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Quality is good imo, relative to what I would have expected for a minor league type collection of teams. The way in which they have set this up - with a long lead time and focus on what's possible - is prudent and led to a smooth start. Attendances are decent. All of the players are earning $70k this year + performance incentives, and accruing tape to help them springboard to an NFL training camp.

I like the idea, I'm intrigued and I'll be dipping in and out over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Week 2 starting in 15mins, tough one for the Stallions @ Birmingham Iron. 2nd road game against a team that hasn't conceded any points and without their top 2 QB's. Hopefully the Stallions can pull off the upset, hate to be the 1st team with 2 defeats.

What's with the weird camera angles and no commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Stadiums are empty for alliance, are they adding crowd noise to TV feed? I'm interested but I wonder how audience was this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the story with the app? It's a piece of crap basically, especially if you have no interest in fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

Do ye have teams that you're supporting yet?

Mr_Man2121 wrote: »
    Do ye have teams that you're supporting yet?

I'm just back from Orlando so they're my team now I suppose. I was actually there when they were playing last Sunday but I wasn't that keen on treking out to see it in person.

EDIT - Very little buzz in the local press and TV about them. Small bit of coverage but nothing more. And no merchandise in the sports stores in the malls.

Watching the game on the app. The use of the spider cam exclusively and no commentary makes it a very hard watch. No replays either

Watching the game on the app. The use of the spider cam exclusively and no commentary makes it a very hard watch. No replays either

Checkout reddit nfl streams, you'll get a proper tv feed there.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Stadiums are empty for alliance, are they adding crowd noise to TV feed? I'm interested but I wonder how audience was this week

Some attendances thus far:

Orlando Appollos: 20,191 w1
    Birmingham Iron: 17039 w1; 17,319 w2
    Memphis Express: 11,980 w2
    San Diego Fleet: 20,019 w2
    San Antonio Commanders: 27,857 w1

"Empty" seems like the wrong word to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some attendances thus far:

Orlando Appollos: 20,191 w1
    Birmingham Iron: 17039 w1; 17,319 w2
    Memphis Express: 11,980 w2
    San Diego Fleet: 20,019 w2
    San Antonio Commanders: 27,857 w1

"Empty" seems like the wrong word to use.

I'd bear in mind that these are likely exaggerated.

Whether they're as exaggerated as the USFL (teams announcing attendances that were more than the stadium's max capacity) remains to be seen. I doubt it.

I'd bear in mind that these are likely exaggerated.

Whether they're as exaggerated as the USFL (teams announcing attendances that were more than the stadium's max capacity) remains to be seen. I doubt it.

Exaggerated? Maybe. But declaring attendances of 11k for games hardly seems a stretch! I'd suggest the numbers seem solid for a brand new league, and don't feel out of kilter with the tv broadcasts.

Attendances at American sporting events are always a bit funny. They count the number of tickets sold, not the number who pass through the turnstiles. Therefore every season ticket holder is deemed to be there regardless of whether he/she is actually at the game.

The former GM of the Miami Marlins baseball team has said that the team used to buy a load of tickets (but not give them to anyone, just shuffling money from one side of the business to the ticketing department) so they could inflate their attendances. So the reported attendance would be 10,000 when it was plainly obvious there were only about 1,000 in the crowd.

The 11k announced for Memphis game is clearly inaccurate as the stadium was empty but listening to highlights you'd think there's a crowd there. So I suspect they add crowd noise to TV feed.

Completely empty? Like as in, was there a fan shut out or something?

• Advertisement

Deco99 wrote: »
    The 11k announced for Memphis game is clearly inaccurate as the stadium was empty but listening to highlights you'd think there's a crowd there. So I suspect they add crowd noise to TV feed.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/aaf-attendance-3/

This looks as if it was taken just before the players come on to the pitch so maybe there were loads of late arrivals or they're all at the bar but 11k looks a stretch here alright.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/aaf-attendance-3/

This looks as if it was taken just before the players come on to the pitch so maybe there were loads of late arrivals or they're all at the bar but 11k looks a stretch here alright.

Ya, to be fair it looks mainly like Memphis is the main culprit. Other games look well attended.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1097820176282730504?s=21

Doesn’t sound too promising.

Edit - Apparentky the players didn’t get paid in week 1. They were told it was just a glitch in the payroll system.

Speaking of Vegas opening a book on this league, are they taking bets on how many weeks it will last? Looks like they've made a hames of it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Speaking of Vegas opening a book on this league, are they taking bets on how many weeks it will last? Looks like they've made a hames of it already.

pretty bad all right. I wonder if the NFL are giving it any funding beyond screening some games. I guess it's good for the league to have a minor league of sorts, especially with all the (relatively) new mini camp rules preventing the number of hours players can practice. Colin Kaepernick could become a part-owner of the entire league if his settlement figures are to be believed.

I wonder if the NFL are giving it any funding beyond screening some games.

That was my initial impression but it might be the other way round, with the AAF league paying the NFL to screen them. I really hope this league survives but I'm not optimistic anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

I like the bits I've seen so far. I'd imagine cashflow is a major issue at the start - hopefully that improves.

I doubt they'd have gotten further investment of 250m if it was a failing model.

Anyway, lets see how things go.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    I like the bits I've seen so far. I'd imagine cashflow is a major issue at the start - hopefully that improves.

I doubt they'd have gotten further investment of 250m if it was a failing model.

Anyway, lets see how things go.

That's the key point, the guy who invested is very successful in sports and would have no doubt done his due diligence.

Can I stream these games somewhere in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Stallions got their 1st win of the season, happy out!

Advertisement