Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

brokenarms wrote: »
    Seems to me, most of this Bull Sh1t is due to.

.Cutting corners,
    .Not paying decent wages or hours worked
    .Bad management.
    .Bad maintenance.

In other words.

Privatisation .

Yet people are crying out for more of the same.
    Yet Citylink, via Callinan Coaches, have none of the above issues. And Bus Éireann have many other problems.
    bk wrote: »
    BTW DC seem to be getting away with this bad quality of service because they have a monopoly on the routes they operate. I've always said monopolies are bad, doesn't matter if public or private, you just end up with the same lazy practices when you face no competition.
    Just look at the Belfast route for proof of this. Brand new coaches due to Aircoach competition, but they put their crap on the other routes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd booked a Dublin coach to go to Limerick for a work thing afew weeks ago. I was on the correct quay at 8.05 10 mins before departure. There was no bus 35 minutes later. I had to cancel the work training.

They ignored numerous mails and calls until I eventually got a response. They claimed the bus was there and left on time.

It's possible it left from the opposite quay, and not the one advertised as normal but it was definitely not on the correct quay. They refused to issue a refund and I wouldn't recommend them as they have lied and basically claimed I have lied.

I provided all my location data too to show I was there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Weepsie wrote: »
    hey ignored numerous mails and calls until I eventually got a response. They claimed the bus was there and left on time.

It's possible it left from the opposite quay, and not the one advertised as normal but it was definitely not on the correct quay. They refused to issue a refund and I wouldn't recommend them as they have lied and basically claimed I have lied.

I provided all my location data too to show I was there.

Next time if you have the same problem reference that if they do not reply to the mail within 7 days you will escalate the matter to the National Transport Authority or even better cc them on the mail and you may get a different approach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Edit : I forwarded on all my communicated to the NTA and DC. I'll see what they say.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

So it looks like the NBRU has just been censured. Don't agree with their position but it absolutely should be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

bk wrote: »
    Of course we are, BE couldn't be arsed running coaches between two of our largest cities after 6pm or using the shiny new motorways that the government built for billions. Nor could they be arsed having toilets on board and were late to getting wifi and power.

The services of the likes of Aircoach, Citylink, GoBus/GoBE are vastly superior to BE's services.

DC seems to be a bad apple amongst the privates, but the rest of the privates seem to be running a fantastic, innovative and high quality services.

BTW DC seem to be getting away with this bad quality of service because they have a monopoly on the routes they operate. I've always said monopolies are bad, doesn't matter if public or private, you just end up with the same lazy practices when you face no competition.

BE is CIE, IE is CIE so I would say they did that in order to get people to fork out the extra bit and use the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Quackster wrote: »
    So it looks like the NBRU has just been censured. Don't agree with their position but it absolutely should be heard.

Does the NBRU only have spam accounts on boards to release their position? I remember O'Leary rambling on a NBRU twitter? Do they not have an official way of releasing statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Coach over took us on Sunday in monasterevin at speed when there was no broken white line on the road.
    He then beeped. We were doing speed limit ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Coach over took us on Sunday in monasterevin at speed when there was no broken white line on the road.
    He then beeped. We were doing speed limit ffs

A coach can only do 100km/h flat out!

What was the speed limit. Don't know the area hence the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

A coach can only do 100km/h flat out!

What was the speed limit. Don't know the area hence the question.

Officially yes! In reality no!

• Advertisement

Officially yes! In reality no!

All coaches I've driven only done 100!

They are governed by a limiter

Are you suggesting that the limiter was tampered with?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Prior to the coach limit increasing to 100 I saw many coaches going vastly above the limit - tampering or vague interpretations of the law had to be going on there considering there's a limiter and a tacho recording normally. Was passed by a coach when I was doing ~115 on the M8 - digital speedo that I know was at worst 1% out.

L1011 wrote: »
    Prior to the coach limit increasing to 100 I saw many coaches going vastly above the limit - tampering or vague interpretations of the law had to be going on there considering there's a limiter and a tacho recording normally. Was passed by a coach when I was doing ~115 on the M8 - digital speedo that I know was at worst 1% out.

I know coming down the hill on the motorway in Cork around the mitchelstown area you can comfortably hit 115. On a flat that no chance.

How old was the coach?

All coaches I've driven only done 100!

They are governed by a limited.

Are you suggesting that the limiter was tampered with?

No, I'm not!

No, I'm not!

If it was going over 100 it must have been!

Make the authorities aware of it.

I've travelled enough times up & down the motorway for our bus to be
    overtaken by other operators. I've often heard the drivers pass comments
    but wouldn't commit to an official statement!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know coming down the hill on the motorway in Cork around the mitchelstown area you can comfortably hit 115. On a flat that no chance.

How old was the coach?

It wasn't there; and to be honest I've no idea at this stage - this was a number of years ago clearly

I haven't noticed it as much since the limit went up - primarily because you see coaches going at the faster limit all the time so one wouldn't stand out as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Look at YouTube video of dublin coach speeding on outside lane of three lane section of N7 approaching Naas I think.

Would DC's older stock still be on analogue tachos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

yes

• Advertisement

Anything before May 2006 would have the analogue tacho's.

A dream to employers who love exploitation.

They don't like digi tacho's, i prefer them :D

No shortage of the word 'delays' here

https://twitter.com/DublinCoach1?lang=en

No shortage of the word 'delays' here

https://twitter.com/DublinCoach1?lang=en

"Dublin Coach Group - QUALITY IN TRANSPORT."
    :D:D:D

"Dublin Coach Group - QUALITY IN TRANSPORT."
    :D:D:D

They have 1000 less followers than they are following, must be a sign that they aren't as good as they think.

Their Facebook page is full of complaints.

Did I forget to mention that they charge drivers for their uniforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nobody even bothers to like or comment on the many delay messages on their facebook page anymore.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Nobody even bothers to like or comment on the many delay messages on their facebook page anymore.

Just seen that on the Facebook page.

I know in the past some negative comments were deleted, unsure how widespread it was or how long it was going on for mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

devnull wrote: »
    I know in the past some negative comments were deleted, unsure how widespread it was or how long it was going on for mind.

Is anybody aware as to whether the NTA monitors non-PSO operators Customer Care arrangements,in the same way they Monitor Bus Atha Cliath & Bus Éireann ?

Is there a facility whereby a company such as Dublin Coach could voluntarily sign-up to the NTA's PSO standards,which would show a degree of positive intent from DC management given these allegations of social-media manipulation now surfacing ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I'm travelling to Kerry late on Friday with my girlfriend's dad. The only service that suits me after work is Dublin Coach so I guess I'm travelling with them again for that reason alone. Wish me luck! :pac:

We're heading to Limerick on Sunday evening and I'm getting Citylink back to Dublin, which I'm looking forward to. :)

• Advertisement

Looks like they have at least two of the old coaches off service now:
    https://flic.kr/p/X7pH8o

Advertisement