Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Links Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Rosapenna in Donegal is superb. You have three courses there and it's good value. They do good stay and play packages, although they have got a bit more expensive than they used to be. The courses are quite different so you're getting on the variety. If you play St Patrick's, your American friends will probably be playing the cheapest Tom Doak design they'll ever see, in utterly astounding scenery.

If you want a pure, old school links, Dunfanaghy, just down the road, ticks the box.

Nairn and Portnoo is another classic, also in Donegal, but it's not cheap. Heading to Sligo and Mayo, you have Rosses Point, Enniscrone, Strandhill and Carne. The latter two are better value, although Carne is a trek. That being said, it is unlike anything I've ever played and the Dunes course is my favourite ever. Well worth the journey in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes . You have basically described my main plan. I'm in two minds if I'm going to skip RCD and just head to Portrush / Portstewart. This will give me more time in Donegal.

Im thinking of a break in Belfast on the way , history a few pints . Just a nice change from the Irish stuff they have done. Then up to the rope bridge and all the coast.

I've also doubts about Carne . Might end in enniscrone.

I'd rather a night in Galway City to finish than out in the back arse of Mayo.

Even if I love it. A bit depressing for your last night in Ireland 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Played Waterville, Dooks and Ballybunnion Cashen at the weekend. Cashen I have played many times before but it was first time for Dooks and Waterville.

I loved dooks, really loved it. The scenery is unbelievable. The course conditioning was ace also. One or two odd holes, index 1 17th I think is a bit out of kilt with the rest of the course. The clubhouse is also a little odd. built in a hole that looks out into the car park. Feels like an achievement to put the building in a place that did not have an amazing view

Waterville, my god the club house and the practice facilities are incredible. Truly 5 star. The course is fantastic but I felt it is a bit of a let down. The conditioning of the fairways wasn't great. Felt like a parkland at times rather than a links. Felt a lot of par 4 holes really melt into each other. Strong start and a wonderful finish but it all felt like a bit of a let down in the middle. Style wise alot of it is like Portmarnock old but again, not to the same level. Very playable course, felt it was one of those that its hard to score really well but there are not too many disasters out there either

Some trip willabur , was it a society or what .

How were rates ?

Yeah, it was a great trip. 10 people for the trip, just a bunch of friends.

I initially booked the courses for this time last year. The initial list was Waterville, Tralee, Dooks and BB Old. Due to covid we postponed first to April (Masters weekend) and then again to September (Ryder Cup). Each of the courses initially took a GUI booking 140, 110, 80 and 110. But Tralee and Ballybunnion decided not to honour the initial agreement, Tralee initially wouldn't give the deposit back... eventually they did

Ended up paying 140 for Waterville, 80 for Cashen, 80 for Dooks and 50 for O'Mahoneys point. All in including accomodation which was a big house close to dooks which slept everyone comfortably the trip cost less than 500 euro per head.

Super happy with the variety of the courses btw. Each one unique that challenged and delighted us in a different way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You know Dublin and there's the obvious choices but for fun I'd go anti-clockwise and leave out the headliners we all know about

Ardglass - poor mans Old Head

Portrush - Valley Course

Castlerock - also has a great 9 hole

Ferry

Greencastle - little known, decent track

Northwest - tight and super value for money

Avoid long trips and straight to....

Murvagh

Strandhill

Done!

Else you can go RCD, Portrush, Portstewart, Ballyliffins, Portsalon, Rosepannas, Co Sligo, Enniscrone......

Just saw your non-links day, I'd go Royal Belfast or Malone, if you want hills on steroids go Clandeboyne (a mad place).

Don't play Galgorm, average at best, others above waaaay better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If you give Co. Sligo a call then they'd likely do you a deal on the rack rates, especially in May before high season starts.

Yes. I'll have to do stuff like this. Lads are not loaded and we will probably have to drop serious money for 2 or 3 of the once in a lifetime ones. I'm willing to play lesser known ones to drop the average price .

As was mentioned. Likes of Rosapenna is still reasonable. Want to play sandy hills., great idea on St Patrick's, but may could still be not best condition.

Lads I might start another thread . Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Curious on what Tralee were at when they didn’t initially refund the deposits, especially since they couldn’t provide the originally agreed price anyway.

Were they a pain? Good for people like me to know that to perhaps avoid them going forward. For the amount of money it costs to play there that mightn’t deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

If you’re doing that Belfast thing, Don’t do Galgorm. It’s a pig with lipstick, even if it’s designer lipstick. And much as I enjoy Malone, Lisburn and Royal Belfast, it wouldn’t be fair on lads travelling over from the States to plop in a parkland imho.

Like a previous poster, I couldn’t recommend Downings / Rosapenna enough. If you book all 3, and add in Portsalon (20 mins spin), you’ll get enough change from €300 to pay for a steak dinner. Which means you could splash out on Portrush, which won’t come cheap next year, no matter what you try.

if I was plotting a path for you.

Bite the bullet on Day 1 and take the 3.5 hours straight to the North Coast. Play either Castlerock (great track, with society rates) or the Valley at Portrush. Stay the night in Portstewart (nicer village). Play Royal Portrush then head west for Downings for 3 nights. Be aware that this is a drinker’s village and you should probably not aspire for early tees. Play Portsalon on the 2nd day in Donegal, to ease the amount of driving thereafter. Finish up in St Patrick’s, which is now the main course.

if you’ve another night in you, head for Donegal town and play Murvagh, another fantastic track with good society rates.

7 quality links courses, mostly all at bargain prices. Only big drives are day 1 and the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Can you share the information on the house you rented. We are planning on taking a trip down that way to play those courses at some stage next year.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Actually thinking on it - if planning to do a non-links day and weren't worried about having it near the end, then Ballinrobe is an excellent course. Only an hour or so from Galway for your finishing spot

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Just back from Porstewart (The Strand) / Ballyliffin (Glashedy) / Royal Portrush (Dunluce ) .

What a 3 days - feels like years since I did a trip like that - and to be honest have never done one where they were all championship course including an Open course.

In October up North you are taking a chance - and wind speeds were high at times - but we had 3 amazing days of golf.

I had only played Porstewart once and was the only 1 I had played - but was even more impressed this time - what a golf course. It certainly is one of the most impressive openings and opening stretches I have played. I didn't play great - but I also think it is a remarkably difficult course (not a place to be wild as I was). Got great memories from following Rahm there and as a young man you could see he was a another level. It is a course that you need to respect off the tee - and I didn't sadly . Will definelty play again when up there - course knowledge is fairly important there.

Day 2 was Ballyliffin - and to start it has to be one of the most stunning setting for a course - completely wild , isolated, other worldly. The weather was predicted to be bad that day - so we kinda got off lightly - It was a 3 to 4 club wind at times - some rain. Perhaps it was the weather - but it is the hardest course I have ever played. You just can't be off the fairway at all. It is a course I want to play again - but it is very difficult to get to - and looking at the sea , I'd imagine the strong wind is more the norm than exception.

Day 3 Portrush - where do you start . To start off, you just have that Royal feel - that it has held the Open - a solidness and maturity to the land that you can sense and feel under foot. Then the Lowry win - the history . But forgot all that for a second , you have the actual course and views. I tend to be a man for the big dunes and tricked up courses - but when you play a course like Portrush you can see it does not need to be like that. There is the green - there is the landing zone - there is the dangerous bunker. The choice is up to you - it is a real thinking mans course. The crazy thing about Portrush is you feel you could actually play to your handicaps there, the other 2, I'm not so sure.

I will go back and play them again next summer - but the prices have got very expensive (outside the winter rates).

Over the last few days I watched the various stuff I missed post the Lowry win on you tube - it was so much more enjoyable when you had played the course - the guy is something special.

Super stuff, great to play them be sure now you can bench the other links courses you've played.

For me the back 9 of Portstewart was weak, the last two holes dull. Glashedy was excellent, the greens just absolute perfection and although you didn't play it, the old course on par. Portrush faultless.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

How much did you pay for Portrush if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Agree with everything said about Royal Portrush. I also played it on Day 1 which was probably the best of the weather. An amazing course in pristine condition. An absolute pleasure to play.

Portstewert on day 2 in 40km winds was just impossible. Beat us up badly but what a front 9 just incredible. Weakens badly to just meh in the back 9! The greatest opening tee shot iv seen though.

Ballyliffin just consistently strong from start to finish and probably more playable than portstewert. Best greens of the 3 courses too. Pity about by 6 3 putts though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i was up with Fix. 12 of us. We had played old Ballyliffen last year and we all felt the Glashedy is far superior. However the back 9 weaker than the front 9, and the old is probably on par with that.

but Ballyliffen was probably the runt of the litter as someone put it over a pint. I guess it didn’t help that it was the worst weather of the 3 days and my game is in the gutter at the moment. Portrush definitely the easiest of the 3 but we got it on a near summers day in the middle of October.

class trip.

€300 for the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I see Carr Golf have acquired Seapoint recently. Seems they were heavily in debt and in trouble for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chef89

Travelled 90mins to play an Open Singles in Rosslare last Sunday. Summer rules, ball running like a shot from a road bowler! ( parkland member here full winter rules in the past three weeks.)

What a treat, in brilliant condition and the day was topped off with the weather, short sleeves in November! Great value at €40 too.

One gripe, when we were signing in before the round the Pro told us that it was a 16 hole competition but we could play 17th and 18th if we wanted to. Thought it was strange, we played 18 holes of course. Entered our cards into the computer afterwards. Nothing to show for it on the Golf Ireland App so no record of the round for handicap purposes. 29 points for the 16 holes, it wouldn't have counted as one of my best 8 but would have went in as my most recent to make up the 20 cards needed!! 😕

Keep an eye on their website for open competitions, highly recommended links!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Replace acquired with stole from under the noses of members

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Made my way to Ballyliffin over the weekend. Both courses were almost entirely open, though off the forward (6,300 yards or so) tees, while a number of the green side bunkers were GUR. Meanwhile we were quite blessed with the weather; a dull and calm Saturday on the Old, followed by an occasionally bright and occasionally swirly Sunday on Glashedy.

I was really quite taken by the Old. It’s not as manicured as the younger brother, but that’s not a complaint. It just feels 100% natural and just makes sense, crumpled fairways and all. A gentle opening on each 9 toughens up by half way, while the closing stretch of holes is sensational.

Glashedy’s first 9 is exceptionally pleasing on the eye. While waiting at the first, it reveals a colour and a shape that makes a clear promise of enjoyment ahead. It’s among the best openers I’ve played. And that’s the general theme when heading out. The two early par 3s are drop dead gorgeous (the second of which is a properly unique hole), and they’re the highlights of a fantastic routing, with reveals aplenty. The back 9 isn’t quite at the same level. It’s perfectly good golf, with some brilliant driving holes, but they all kind of melt into each other. Though I do remember shuddering at the thought of some of the blue tees. That’s for a different level of golfer. For some reason the amount of tarmac walkways in Glashedy began bothering me… until I remembered that this is the kind of complaint a spoiled child would make!

if both courses have one thing in common it’s the amazing bunkering. I’ve never played a course close to these pair for the sheer brilliance of bunker positions. The fairway bunkers, you never want to find again and you’ll find yourself changing your mind on every hole, while every green site enjoys enjoys 1-2 of these beautiful horrors, and the far side of the green has rarely been as attractive an approach shot!

Clubhouse outstanding. Facilities top drawer. And the Donegal welcome is always the best of welcomes.

—-

For a trip to Donegal, I’d still lean towards Rosapenna. It would have been close 6 months ago, but the new St Patrick’s is the best course in the county (I’ve now played them all bar Dunfanaghy) and Downings just has a better buzz about. But Ballyliffin still a genuine treat for any man, woman or child.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Really looking forward to playing some links golf in 2022. I would also like to play one of the 3 or 4 course classics. Don't mind if a good parkland or 2 is among the grouping. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭srfc d16

Not sure if this has already been listed in the thread but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone have a link to a map or list of the links courses in Ireland. I can't seem to find it through google searches so any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Does @Kevinmarkham have the indexes broken down in his book for parkland and links?

I just checked, he doesn't.

100% recommend you get Kevins book, he has all of the 18 hole courses in the country in there. 100% a subjective exercise and all the better for it. Just checked a few sites there and it can be got for price of a few pints. https://www.kennys.ie/sport/hooked-an-amateur-s-guide-to-the-golf-courses-of-ireland from a reputable irish book store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Advertisement