Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The return of Foals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Stompbox wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that, Blackpitts?

sorry for the late reply, i knew it coz i have subscribed their newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.facebook.com/Foalsforever/posts/10151169239903531

12:10am tonight. Channel 4. We are on Live at Abbey Road. There's a new album track in there for you too

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

This is the new song they played on Live at Abbey Road. It's called 'Late Night'. I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MajorThom wrote: »
    This is the new song they played on Live at Abbey Road. It's called 'Late Night'. I like it!

Really liked that. The start had a 'Spanish Sahara' vibe about it. Nice mini guitar solo in the middle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

I'm happier now after hearing 2 songs from the new album that I like. It gives us a little more insight into the direction the album will take. I was worried at first when I heard 'Inhaler'. Really can't warm to that track!

• Advertisement

MajorThom wrote: »
    I'm happier now after hearing 2 songs from the new album that I like. It gives us a little more insight into the direction the album will take. I was worried at first when I heard 'Inhaler'. Really can't warm to that track!

Funnily enough I liked Inhaler and my only little worry about the album after hearing 'My Number' and 'Late Night' is that it will all be of a soft funk sound. They are very good songs, but the raw louder sound like 'Cassius' or 'Brazil Is Here(which is one of their best songs imo)' is something Foals do incredibly and I hope there's a good mix there, which I'm sure there will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

My Number - studio version:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

This band have been really influential in the sense that there are so many (mostly Irish) bands trying to copy their sound.

After listening to the studio version of 'My Number' a few times, I like it a little bit less. It's quite funky but if you hear the first 15 seconds you've already heard the rest of the song, which is very unlike a Foals song. It's a good song, but hoping for better on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

another song off the new album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This albums gonna be an absolute screamer, can't wait, brillant Late Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Corholio wrote: »
    'Hummer', 'Mathletics' and 'Astronauts and All' are also worth listening to and not on any of their albums.

3 of their very best songs aswell. It's a mystery why they weren't on an album.

Been listening to Holy Fire since yesterday and still unsure what to make of it. There is a lot of good songs on there, but I'm not sure I like the distance they've moved away from their Antidotes stuff. Yannis likes to 'sing' a lot more now and I'm not sure it always works on this album. 'Moon' is like a Spanish Sahara wannabe that isn't nearly as good.

It's all very sentimental now, and as much as it was going that way on TLF, I had hoped they could still draw from their more aggressive stuff like 'Cassius' or 'Brazil Is Here'. Songs like 'Everytime' and 'Out of the Woods' are probably the closest to that type of stuff, but even then Yannis likes to harmonise quite a lot on them, which as I said, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. A lot of the verses in songs are tough to tell apart and sometimes samey.

'Stepson' sums up what is a little wrong with the album, not very exciting at all and one of the least innovative Foals song I've heard on any of their albums. I'm a little disappointed, maybe more songs will need more time to sink in I'm not sure.

'Out Of The Woods' is probably the standout track, has a really great melody throughout it, especially after the first verse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

providence has to be the stand out track for me

A V A wrote: »
    providence has to be the stand out track for me

Yes, that and 'Out of the Woods' were the stand outs definitely. Yannis singing that start might be a bit iffy live though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just finished listening to their new album, its the best they have produced yet, its the album that they have always had in them and does not fade away in the second half like Total Like Forever, anyone else hear it yet?

Xenji wrote: »
    Just finished listening to their new album, its the best they have produced yet, its the album that they have always had in them and does not fade away in the second half like Total Like Forever, anyone else hear it yet?

You read the posts above you?

Funnily enough I think this album fades a bit with the last two tracks, 'Stepson' and 'Moon', not being particularly inspiring. It has grown on me with more listens but I certainly don't think it's the best they've done. I'd still put TLF above it, if only because this one doesn't quite have stand outs like 'Alabaster' or 'Spanish Sahara'.

It is a really good album, I just think the first two albums were a tad more creative sonically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I really liked this album, one or two tracks that were iffy, and agree with the sentiments of Moon being weak, probably weakest of the album, but don't get comparisions with Spanish Sahara and people expectating something like Spanish Sahara. That song was an amazing song, it won't be replicated and it doesn't need to be replicated, there'd be no point. Anyway, favourite offering yet. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Providence gets better every time I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SweetStasis

they played a live set on BBC6 during Lauren's slot yesterday. Stunning. They're a formidable live band.

Live music shouldn't sound as good as it did! (when you're not there...if you know what I mean)

maybe you can pick it up on podcast or something

• Advertisement

So, Foals are back. New single is 'What Went Down', same name as the album.

Personally, I don't particularly like it. I think the people who have always wanted the heavier Foals will like it but for me they are losing their sound. I initially liked 'Holy Fire' but it's been my least listened to Foals album and I have a much less favourable view of it now. This track sounds like a very by the numbers rock song, no interesting riff or Foals sonic virtuoso to be found. Never been a fan of Yannis's shouty lyrics either.

Only 1 song of course, hope it improves on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bencfc69

So, Foals are back. New single is 'What Went Down', same name as the album.

Personally, I don't particularly like it. I think the people who have always wanted the heavier Foals will like it but for me they are losing their sound. I initially liked 'Holy Fire' but it's been my least listened to Foals album and I have a much less favourable view of it now. This track sounds like a very by the numbers rock song, no interesting riff or Foals sonic virtuoso to be found. Never been a fan of Yannis's shouty lyrics either.

Only 1 song of course, hope it improves on this.

I quite like it to be honest. Hope the whole album isn't like this song though, like Holy Fire was with Inhaler and Providence on there to mix it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's bloody brilliant, caught it last night and listened to it, very loudly, several times this morning.

I suppose I contrast to some people here, while I still love Antidotes (an album that I loved from the very first track), Holy Fire is still an amazing piece of work, and seeing it played it live at a small venue is just amazing. There's something, and this is will sound artsy fartsy, pretty primal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Probably the best band out there at the moment and I'd have high hopes for this album being album of the year, these boys genuinely never disappoint and I agree with the above poster that this could be the inhaler/providence tune for the album as all their records are hugely diverse. The outro to this makes me want to drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and gallop a horse down a motorway with no top on

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's bloody brilliant, caught it last night and listened to it, very loudly, several times this morning.

I suppose I contrast to some people here, while I still love Antidotes (an album that I loved from the very first track), Holy Fire is still an amazing piece of work, and seeing it played it live at a small venue is just amazing. There's something, and this is will sound artsy fartsy, pretty primal about it.

I think primal is a pretty good word for it actually, Yannis has said pretty much the same thing in interviews leading up to this. I think they are turning into the band Yannis has always wanted perhaps, and unfortunately I just don't feel it. For me they peaked on TLF, I still listen to 'Alabaster' quite often. It was brilliant how they could make something so minimalist sound so good, I think they are trying a lot of the opposite on that track, squeezing in a lot of animalistic rock but lacking creativity imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wouldn't rule out similar tracks just yet, each album has a pretty heavy track or two and still have softer stuff following.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

If this album is anywhere near the quality of the first two we are in for a treat.

I personally prefer this type of Foals to the louder stuff like 'What Went Down'. Them as musicians shines through a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I personally prefer this type of Foals to the louder stuff like 'What Went Down'. Them as musicians shines through a lot better.

The riff at the end is the riff Yannis played during the extended outro of the live version of Late Night on the last tour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement