Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/pay off roading / green lanes info

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Hi KS&L

1. Night driving wouldn't be recommended unless you know the area well and don't go alone!.

2. There's no rights of way network in Ireland like you get in England and Wales. There's a few drivable lanes in Wicklow, Donegal, Cork and Kerry but you need local knowledge to find them. Thers's been past discussion on some of themif you read back up the thread.

3. Legality is a grey area. If there's a gate or a barrier you probably shouldn't be there even if you can get round them in your 4x4.

4. Organised off roading in Ireland tends towards the extreme and after the last years rain even the easy tracks at Dartfield off road centre are only drivable with mud tyres.

There's pretty much no free off roading here and a limited number of pay and play sites with no one really catering for soft roaders and shiny motors.

Some clubs like Leinster 4x4 rent Coilte forest and hold open days with some gentler off roading, typical cost €40-60.

Munster 4x4 have a Christmas event - http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/othersports/4261910

www.4xforum.net held a charity event yesterday at Dartfield which was a total mudbath but a great sucess! They sometimes arrange meets at Dartfield and Flowerhill (around €30 a day) and will have links to various club's events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Hi Sean,

thanks for the reply there,

judging from what your saying there is that there's no hills etc, that i could scout to the top off without a lot of difficulty in regards to legality through barriers etc. ?

thanks for the informative post.

are there are "free" or lanes that you know off yourself that you could share ?

thanks again

KS&L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I'm in mid Tipp and know of nothing around here unfortunately.

• Am over in Australia now, have a 4x4 and doing some great trails. All free of course. The govt even puts road signs on some of them and levels ruts in the tracks. You can bush bash your own trails too if needed. Bins are often found at free campsites that are collected by the council even in some seriously remote locations.

Ireland would be an amazing place if it opened up more 4x4 trails. I used to go hiking with my friends most weekends regardless of weather. I also did alot of camping and if our major trails such as the wicklow way, western way etc had 4x4 trails parrallel to the walking trails with horse trails too it would be a huge boost for tourism. Would be a good capital investment and would create some jobs in the building process.

Do it like the Appalachian trail in the US and have doorless cabins every so often for groups to stop in and camp. If it can work in the US/Australia it could easily work here.

If I ever returned home I would be sad to leave the 4x4ing behind. It is a great freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tadhg Darcy

Well lads. Do any of yous know anywhere in the south east of ireland that have off road trails. Just wanting to try the new disco 3 out without paying a fortune. Heard of a place on Brandon hill if anyone knows more on it?
    Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

I found that track in the curragh "donnellys hollow" ,nice an wet today just went for a quick blast today ,found it by accidents so might head down again for a few laps

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

yep very driveable lost of different tracks and ive never had to ask any1 to drive on have beening driving it for years me and my friends guys on quads and scramblers use it aswel ur welcome to come down some sat day and we can show u around

Sorry to drag up an old thread, any chance you could DM me a location to the entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Hi, are there any places in Ireland you can bring your jeep and go messing about driving through ravines etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

There isn't really, you could join a 4x4 club. Munster or Leinster 4x4, they do days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

There is a pay & play site in Kilkea co Kildare, near Castledermot. It's about €40 or so, and you can bring your own. It's based in an old quarry pit.

See the sticky at the top, nowhere really to mess about for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

Hi! I have a dirtbike, Suzuki DR350S with Cross Tyres on, ready for sever mudding.
    I live in Kilkenny and have a trailer, if anybody is up for a ride in Brandon Hill or knows other ares, I am more than happy to make friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

There is a pay and play site in between Newry and Dundalk good prices and does deals for groups. You can also hire 4x4s for Stag and Hen parties etc

http://northeast-adventures.co.uk/

Advertisement