Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Da Dawg pound

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

gstack166 wrote: »
    What do we think about what we gave up? Seems a lot to me, quite liked the potential in Peppers even though it’s been a bit rocky for him.

Don’t get me wrong Beckham is a superstar delighted he’s there but overall if it’s as it seems that Beckham wanted out & the Giants likewise & considering rumours that he wants the contract negotiated it’s a lot more (not sure money wise) than what the Raiders gave up for AB

Think you guys are crazy to question what you gave up. Would have been delighted if the 49ers had gotten him for that price but we didn’t have the right picks (#2 was just too high). The guy is going to end up in the HOF and is in his prime. I think comparing him to what the Raiders got for AB isn’t wise as he is 4 years younger and didn’t practically go on strike and have/fake a mental breakdown to drive through the move. Better comparisons are Cooper and Cooks who both went for 1st rounders and OBJ is much better than them.

He may look for a little bit of extra money/guarantees but you guys have still have a good bit of cap space and didn’t have to pay any of his signing bonus. As far as his issues with the Giants, they clearly lied to him about their plans for the team when it came to signing and they failed as a coaching staff and front office. The guy is vocal about wanting to do everything to win, something that Baker, Brady etc are lauded for. You guys are lucky to get him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Think you guys are crazy to question what you gave up. Would have been delighted if the 49ers had gotten him for that price but we didn’t have the right picks (#2 was just too high). The guy is going to end up in the HOF and is in his prime. I think comparing him to what the Raiders got for AB isn’t wise as he is 4 years younger and didn’t practically go on strike and have/fake a mental breakdown to drive through the move. Better comparisons are Cooper and Cooks who both went for 1st rounders and OBJ is much better than them.

He may look for a little bit of extra money/guarantees but you guys have still have a good bit of cap space and didn’t have to pay any of his signing bonus. As far as his issues with the Giants, they clearly lied to him about their plans for the team when it came to signing and they failed as a coaching staff and front office. The guy is vocal about wanting to do everything to win, something that Baker, Brady etc are lauded for. You guys are lucky to get him.

Forgot about Cooper tbh & I know all what you’re saying but the Giants wanted him gone for a reason. If they were ready to challenge this year they yeah, I’d be a lot more delighted but they’re not in my opinion, there’s a good Young hungry team there & you have to wonder wil OBJ upset that?

Being college team mates & best friends with Landry eases my mind a little alright, all US sport shows essentially unuanious today (the ones that I saw, with Whitlock, Cowerd, PTI) saying he’s poisonous in the locker room. Would it of took much (if anything at all, maybe he would of fell to them at 17) to go get Metcalfe & continued building with young players a lot on rookie deals for a few seasons too?

Have to wait & see I spose, I’m delighted he’s there & that just think it’s a risk for someone who’s missed 21 games (I think) in their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

. Would it of took much (if anything at all, maybe he would of fell to them at 17) to go get Metcalfe

But Metcalfe isn't good. He just athletic (in straight lines)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Guffy wrote: »
    But Metcalfe isn't good. He just athletic (in straight lines)

Did you watch the combine? (I didn’t) listened to Kipers pod the week before it, I’m a few episodes behind now, he seems very keen on him? No question he’s the first WR taken off the board but did say it’s a weak class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

Did you watch the combine? (I didn’t) listened to Kipers pod the week before it, I’m a few episodes behind now, he seems very keen on him? No question he’s the first WR taken off the board but did say it’s a weak class.

He wasn't even the best receiver at Ole Miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Forgot about Cooper tbh & I know all what you’re saying but the Giants wanted him gone for a reason. If they were ready to challenge this year they yeah, I’d be a lot more delighted but they’re not in my opinion, there’s a good Young hungry team there & you have to wonder wil OBJ upset that?

Being college team mates & best friends with Landry eases my mind a little alright, all US sport shows essentially unuanious today (the ones that I saw, with Whitlock, Cowerd, PTI) saying he’s poisonous in the locker room. Would it of took much (if anything at all, maybe he would of fell to them at 17) to go get Metcalfe & continued building with young players a lot on rookie deals for a few seasons too?

Have to wait & see I spose, I’m delighted he’s there & that just think it’s a risk for someone who’s missed 21 games (I think) in their career.

Metcalf might have the power of a tank, the speed of a race car but the the the agility of a bus. He has huge bust potential and at the moment isn't anywhere near OBJ. Borwns mightn't challenge this year but the clock is ticking before all these early draft pick contracts will start coming due. You couldn't ask for a better tool to help Baker avoid a sophomore slump.

The majority of the US media have absolutely no consistency for why they hate him, unfortunately I think a lot of them struggle to relate and unfairly judge young black men. Yes, he's emotional but so are many of the greats that they laud. Many of them have an issue with him because they adore the Mannings (that whole family have most of the media in their pockets) and OBJ had the balls to point out Eli's poor play, which was clear to anyone with eyes.

I'll leave you with this anecdote from one of the beat reporters. I haven't seen any evidence he is half the villain that many of the media make him out to be.

https://twitter.com/KimJonesSports/status/1105946242549534721

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I think OBJ wants to win. And when he sees that he's not being supported to do that, he gets frustrated - like anyone in a dead-end job (which lets face it playing at WR with Eli kinda is right now) would be. He's never missed a practice to make a point, he didn't hold out like Brown, he always put in the effort on field. I actually think this could be a great move for him, the Browns are in a great position to win and prove themselves really for the first time since they came back into the league. Getting him out of the bright lights of NYC could do wonders for him, like a lot of troubled types of players who go to GB etc. They can knuckle down with less distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

It's quite possible the Giants know that next year they won't be challenging and OBJ could well sulk and moan and they can't deal with that anymore and got what they could this year, rather than risking another Antonio Brown situation where they got a pittance from Oakland. I think though that is a win-win for the Browns as the personalities of Landry, Mayfield and OBJ will all drive each other on. It is certainly exciting times at Cleveland.

Rounding up the week:
    Demetrious Harris (TE) signed as a free agent leaving Kansas. Seemed to suffer from drops but is a good blocking TE and replaces Darren Fells who pretty much had that job.
    Eric Kush (G) provides depth on the offensive line and did feature for Chicago last year so he will fighting for a spot during the summer.
    Shelton Richardson (DT) is a big get on a problem issue for the Browns. At 28, he should be in his prime.
    Adarius Taylor (LB) signed from Tampa Bay. Played quite a bit last season but according to PPF, is below average.

Jabrill Peppers (SS) moves to the Giants in the trade for Odell Beckham. Poor in his first season as he struggled to know what his position was, but as last season went on, he got better and better and was one of the most improved players in the squad. Sad to see him go as he had a lot of potential and the Brown need to replace him.
    Breshad Perriman (WR) turned down a new deal after the OBJ trade. Played well for the Browns but will get more snaps at Tampa Bay.
    Tyrod Taylor (QB) joined the Chargers. After Mayfield replaced him, he had an out on his contract at the end of the season.

Needs for the Browns are definitely defensively now as the offense is loaded. A replacement for Peppers is needed at safety while another corner would be welcome. DT is now better with Richardson and Ogunjobi while Garrett and Vernon is a pretty good duo on the edge. I wonder whether they will draft a QB to back-up Mayfield now with Tyrod gone.

Emmanuel Ogbah and Duke Johnson are on the trade block due to signings of Vernon and Hunt.

News from the NFL today with Kareem Hunt handed an 8-game ban which means he will be available from November onwards. When he comes back, the options are scary.

Delighted to get Greedy Williams who was a surprise to fall to 46. Having Ward on one side and him on the other is fantastic work. Most big boards had him as one of the top two cornerbacks so that was a great pick and heck even here on the mock draft, he was gone at 8.

The second pick in Sione Takitaki was a bit of head-scratcher as he appeared to be a late rounder in most mock drafts, so it looks like a reach and their certainly were some good options at that pick but they do need linebacker help and obviously identified him as someone that could help out.

Duke Johnson has doubled down on his request to get a trade after appearing in front of media at the start of OTA's.

With Kareem Hunt signed, Johnson knows that he won't see much action but with Hunt suspended for the first 8 games, I'm pretty sure the Browns will look to keep him as a number two to Chubb and then trade him to a RB needy team around the trade deadline which should coincide with Hunt being available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

VillaMad wrote: »
    Duke Johnson has doubled down on his request to get a trade after appearing in front of media at the start of OTA's.

With Kareem Hunt signed, Johnson knows that he won't see much action but with Hunt suspended for the first 8 games, I'm pretty sure the Browns will look to keep him as a number two to Chubb and then trade him to a RB needy team around the trade deadline which should coincide with Hunt being available.

Seems reasonable. He should see some action for the first 8-10 games at least because it will take Hunt time to get in to it, if Chubb gets injured in the meantime he will be RB1. Difficult to see what his issue is, and it’s easy to see why the Browns don’t want to let him go they need him, at least for now.

Seems reasonable. He should see some action for the first 8-10 games at least because it will take Hunt time to get in to it, if Chubb gets injured in the meantime he will be RB1. Difficult to see what his issue is, and it’s easy to see why the Browns don’t want to let him go they need him, at least for now.

From his point of view, he knows that he isn't a long-term option with the Browns and would rather go now and get a pre-season with another team rather than joining a side during the middle of season. Hopefully he doesn't go down the LaVeon Bell route and that he honours his contract.

LT Desmond Harrison has been released after he missed his flight to mini-camp. Apparently this wasn't the first time he missed some stuff and the Browns have decided to move on without him.

Duke Johnson has been traded to the Texans for a third or fourth round draft pick.

Would have liked him to have stayed until the trade deadline but obviously he knows with the emergence of Chubb and with Kareem Hunt to come into the side, that his future was away from the Browns and he has been allowed leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Makes sense for all three parties in the deal. The compensation seems very fair.

Still a couple of weeks until the first regular season game and hopes are still very much high.

Would like to see OBJ on the field for at least one of the remaining pre-season games with Landry and Baker. The back-up running-back is a slight worry with Johnson having to be replaced while nobody seems close to Njoku's ability at TE.

The offensive line is the big worry going forward and the best we can hope for at this stage is that they can be serviceable and just do enough for Baker to get the ball out. Austin Corbett has been a disaster in training camp according to the reports and already looks like a bust which is hugely problematic for the OL. One wonders whether Dorsey will do something, especially with that conditional third pick that he got from the Texans.

Defensively, Garrett seems better than ever and it will be good to see him line-up opposite to Vernon when the time comes. There was a lack of depth at linebacker ahead of the draft but 5th rounder, Mack Wilson has been a revelation. Takitaki whilst not as impressive has been aggressive in training camp and it will be interesting to see how he gets on further down the line.

Kicking issues I'm afraid, still seem to linger. Joseph and Seibert have been horribly inconsistent.

Mack Wilson could be the steal of this draft class if he continues to play like that. I was amazed he fell to the fifth round tbh.

Offensive line does look like a soft spot. Any idea why the traded Zeitler? Seemed like a strange trade at the time and even more so now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Mack Wilson could be the steal of this draft class if he continues to play like that. I was amazed he fell to the fifth round tbh.

Offensive line does look like a soft spot. Any idea why the traded Zeitler? Seemed like a strange trade at the time and even more so now

Agree OL appears to be the glaring weakness which is a pity, if Dorsey could somehow swing a trade for Trent Williams that would be an huge upgrade over Robinson and would go a long way towards solidifying the line.

Agree OL appears to be the glaring weakness which is a pity, if Dorsey could somehow swing a trade for Trent Williams that would be an huge upgrade over Robinson and would go a long way towards solidifying the line.

Did they not already pay Robinson $5m or something though? Replacing him now after a few months would look very bad

I’d be more worried about RT and Guard anyway. A few injuries there and it could really derail their year

Did they not already pay Robinson $5m or something though? Replacing him now after a few months would look very bad

I’d be more worried about RT and Guard anyway. A few injuries there and it could really derail their year

Yeah he got a new one year deal but Robinson is absolutely awful IMO. He was serviceable down the stretch last season but I can see him regressing again this year and Browns should have definitely moved on in the offseason.

Well it was assumed that we could get Vernon opposite Garrett and just promote Corbett to the first team as Zeitler was on a big deal also. Obviously Corbett hasn't lived up to expectations as of yet and so it looks an awful trade at the minute.
    Yeah he got a new one year deal but Robinson is absolutely awful IMO. He was serviceable down the stretch last season but I can see him regressing again this year and Browns should have definitely moved on in the offseason.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I thought he was used just for us to get through to the next draft and free agency but Dorsey mainly opted to stick with what we have got on the Offensive Line. Drew Forbes was drafted in the 6th round, and he has been ok in training camp, but it's hard to expect too much from a sixth rounder.

• Advertisement

Final game of pre-season last night with a win over Detroit, so it's all about the roster cuts tomorrow.

Dorsey made his move for OL help, trading for Bills Guard, Wyatt Teller, a second-year player, giving up a fifth and a sixth next year for a seventh next year. According to Bills fans, Teller was a good but due their abundance of cover on the Offensive Line, he may well have been cut. Still for the Browns, something else was needed and he hopefully can be serviceable.

Concerns a bit over Wide Receiver depth. It was a real struggle in the last couple of pre-season games with nobody really standing out. Braxton Miller signed last week should get on the final roster.

The defensive line-men have been the big winners of pre-season with the opposition constantly pressured. Devaroe Lawrence was a revelation in the past week and Daniel Ekuale who didn't make the roster last year has also looked good and should get a place.

Kicker, Austin Seibert finally came good in the past two games, converting every opportunity and going 8/8. He surely will now get the nod ahead of Greg Joseph.

The Scottish Hammer, Jamie Gillan has been fantastic as punter and has even come up with some great tackles on opposition returns but the Browns will surely stick with the veteran Colquitt. Expect Gillan to find a spot somewhere on a NFL roster. His potential surely can't go to waste.

Haha Robinson's just been cut, I thought he was bad but not so bad the Browns would get rid this quick!

Haha Robinson's just been cut, I thought he was bad but not so bad the Browns would get rid this quick!

Will resign apparently..... false alarm by the looks of it

Will resign apparently..... false alarm by the looks of it

Yeah rookie Drew Forbes got injured on Thursday night and by keeping him in the 53, they can put him in injury reserve and bring him back during the season. They cut Robinson but he doesn't go through waivers so they can bring him back tomorrow. Unusual way of doing it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Final game of pre-season last night with a win over Detroit, so it's all about the roster cuts tomorrow.

Dorsey made his move for OL help, trading for Bills Guard, Wyatt Teller, a second-year player, giving up a fifth and a sixth next year for a seventh next year. According to Bills fans, Teller was a good but due their abundance of cover on the Offensive Line, he may well have been cut. Still for the Browns, something else was needed and he hopefully can be serviceable.

Concerns a bit over Wide Receiver depth. It was a real struggle in the last couple of pre-season games with nobody really standing out. Braxton Miller signed last week should get on the final roster.

The defensive line-men have been the big winners of pre-season with the opposition constantly pressured. Devaroe Lawrence was a revelation in the past week and Daniel Ekuale who didn't make the roster last year has also looked good and should get a place.

Kicker, Austin Seibert finally came good in the past two games, converting every opportunity and going 8/8. He surely will now get the nod ahead of Greg Joseph.

The Scottish Hammer, Jamie Gillan has been fantastic as punter and has even come up with some great tackles on opposition returns but the Browns will surely stick with the veteran Colquitt. Expect Gillan to find a spot somewhere on a NFL roster. His potential surely can't go to waste.

That was a surprise for me. I thought they would stick with Colquitt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well that hype didn’t last long. It was a very worrying display from a coaching perspective. The penalties were inexcusable and the lack of discipline could have seen Garrett ejected as well as Robinson if he had connected with his ‘punch’

That has to fall on Kitchens and we need a good bounce back next Monday.

I see Mayfield had a wrapping on his wrist as well. He won’t last long if the OL doesn’t protect him better than this. It’s no use having threats downfield if you have less than two seconds to get the ball away before the pocket collapses.

Good opportunity for the Browns to bounce back tonight against the Jets minus Sam Darnold.

Trevor Siemian isn't a great Quarterback but he has been a starter in the NFL and as back-ups go, he is pretty good, so it will be by no means an easy game for the Browns. Hopefully what happened last week will prove to be a good thing as they can now reassess themselves and get going again. A poor performance tonight won't reflect well on Kitchens, so he will be as keen as anyone that they cut out the mistakes that they made last year and just play football.

The injury for Big Ben seems like it may make this a division between the Browns and the Ravens, but as we seen with Roethlisberger and Brees, an injury can happen at any time which could dramatically derail things and if the Browns OL continues to play like it did last week, well then Mayfield won't last long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Good opportunity for the Browns to bounce back tonight against the Jets minus Sam Darnold.

Trevor Siemian isn't a great Quarterback but he has been a starter in the NFL and as back-ups go, he is pretty good, so it will be by no means an easy game for the Browns. Hopefully what happened last week will prove to be a good thing as they can now reassess themselves and get going again. A poor performance tonight won't reflect well on Kitchens, so he will be as keen as anyone that they cut out the mistakes that they made last year and just play football.

The injury for Big Ben seems like it may make this a division between the Browns and the Ravens, but as we seen with Roethlisberger and Brees, an injury can happen at any time which could dramatically derail things and if the Browns OL continues to play like it did last week, well then Mayfield won't last long either.

The Browns really shouldnt have too much hassle beating the Jets tonight. They're without their offensive leader Darnold, their defensive leader Mosley, their first round draft pick Williams and a hole host of other players.
    I'd expect Beckham/Landry to have big games against the Jets pi$$ poor CBs

So a comfortable enough win last night for the Browns albeit with still a good few issues.

Firstly the Jets were depleted by injury and pretty much any NFL team minus the Dolphins could have beaten them last night. What happened to Siemian was an awful shame. Myles Garrett was out to impress last night and although the tackles were not overly malicious, he certainly went in with force last night. Bell was terrific last night, but the Browns defense was very good for most of the game.

OBJ has two outstanding plays in an otherwise drab performance by the Browns offense. Baker just doesn't seem settled like he was last season and looked rushed and generally just off. Sometimes he looked rushed and when he had time he would overthrow. This being his second season, it was never going to be as easy and exciting as his first but with that added weapon of OBJ, many felt that the Browns offense could be one of the best in the NFL. It's still early days of course in the season and hopefully it all settles down.

Next 4 games are against sides currently 2-0, so it will show where this Browns side is and where it is going.

• Advertisement

Browns offence looks very slow to me this year - not sure what's going on. Baker takes the snap with literally one second on the play clock everytime, no hurry up at all.

Advertisement