Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Gregg Williams seems to be pretty much official now. Interesting hire, I think they had to go with someone with a lot of experience giving Gace doesnt look like he'll have a whole lot to do with the defence. Williams defences have been largely 4-3, it'll be interesting how that change goes down, I dont think they've a whole lot of suitable options at linebacker if he does move to a 4-3.
    Special Teams coach Brant Boyer is being kept on aswell which is a positive. Theres also talk on twitter that they're hiring someone to look after all things clock management, another positive for me given how terrible Bowles was at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

phatkev wrote: »
    Gregg Williams seems to be pretty much official now. Interesting hire, I think they had to go with someone with a lot of experience giving Gace doesnt look like he'll have a whole lot to do with the defence. Williams defences have been largely 4-3, it'll be interesting how that change goes down, I dont think they've a whole lot of suitable options at linebacker if he does move to a 4-3.
    Special Teams coach Brant Boyer is being kept on aswell which is a positive. Theres also talk on twitter that they're hiring someone to look after all things clock management, another positive for me given how terrible Bowles was at it!

From what I've read and seen of Gase he has so little interest in Defense it's almost a split HC role, makes the Williams hire more sensible I think. At the very least the two of them will be a welcome change for the interviews from Bowles :o Great news keeping Boyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I had my spirits briefly raised when the Jets hired Gregg Williams as DC. However it's back down to earth with the hiring of a man who was one voted the worst play caller in the NFL as OC. I have read the argument that Loggains is familiar to Gase but I think it just showed that Gase hasn't learned or doesn't want to learn from his mistakes. We have to hope that the Jets get the right talent in to support Sam and then success may follow. Also disappointed the Jets are not coming to London this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The problem with the Jets is clear and obvious, his name is Woody Johnson. I'd consider him among the worst owners in the NFL.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The problem with the Jets is clear and obvious, his name is Woody Johnson. I'd consider him among the worst owners in the NFL.
    He's the UK ambassador for Trump. Has no involvement with the team now.

• Advertisement

I had my spirits briefly raised when the Jets hired Gregg Williams as DC. However it's back down to earth with the hiring of a man who was one voted the worst play caller in the NFL as OC. I have read the argument that Loggains is familiar to Gase but I think it just showed that Gase hasn't learned or doesn't want to learn from his mistakes. We have to hope that the Jets get the right talent in to support Sam and then success may follow. Also disappointed the Jets are not coming to London this year.

yeah not a great look, he was with him in Chicago as well so its clearly a case of them being buddies. I'm sick of hearing the "OC doesnt matter because Gase will be in charge of the offence" line. You should want your players surrounded by the best coaches available not some idiot yes men that do as they're told!!

yeah not a great look, he was with him in Chicago as well so its clearly a case of them being buddies. I'm sick of hearing the "OC doesnt matter because Gase will be in charge of the offence" line. You should want your players surrounded by the best coaches available not some idiot yes men that do as they're told!!

Same crack again today with the hiring of the Dolphins WR coach. Can't understand the fuss with the other candidates assistant coaches when the Jets are letting Gase hire his buddies and not looking at alternatives who appear to be superior.

Jets head coach Adam Gase has competed his 2019 coaching staff. Gase's 21-man staff includes the coordinators that have already been announced — Dowell Loggains (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks), Gregg Williams (defensive coordinator) and Brant Boyer (special teams coordinator). Thirteen of the 21 coaches are new to the Jets and eight are returning from last year's staff.

Here is an introduction to the new assistant coaches who have come on board:

OFFENSE
    Shawn Jefferson — Assistant Head Coach Offense/Wide Receivers
    The Jets are Jefferson's fourth stop as a pro coach. He was with Detroit (2006-12), where he coached WR Calvin Johnson; Tennessee (2013-15), and Miami, where he coached Gase's wideouts all three years and Jarvis Landry for two of them, including his 112-catch 2017 season.

Jefferson's coaching career followed his distinguished 13-season playing career with stops at San Diego, New England, Atlanta and Detroit. He played 195 regular-season games (130 starts) and totaled 470 receptions for 7,023 yards (14.9 yards/catch) and 29 touchdowns, plus 14 postseason games, including Super Bowls XXIX (with the Chargers) and XXXI (with the Patriots).

Jim Bob Cooter — Running Backs
    Cooter is coming off a five-year stay with Detroit, starting out as the quarterbacks coach for Matt Stafford and the Lions' signalcallers in 2014, then stepping up to offensive coordinator during the '15 season. In 2017 the Lions had the No. 13 offense in the NFL, the sixth-ranked passing offense and the No. 7 scoring offense.

His first NFL coaching experience was as an offensive assistant for Indianapolis (2009-11). He was Kansas City's quality control coordinator for a season, then an offensive assistant for Denver in '13, where he worked with Gase. He began coaching as a graduate assistant in 2007-08 at the University of Tennessee after serving as a backup QB on the Vols and being named to the SEC's All-Academic team.

John Dunn — Tight Ends
    Dunn moves back to the pros after serving last season as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator at the University of Connecticut. Prior to UConn, he worked for two seasons with Loggains on John Fox's Chicago Bears staff, as quality control assistant in 2016 and offensive assistant in '17.

Before the Bears, Dunn spent five seasons as tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator at Maryland, and before that three seasons as graduate offensive assistant at LSU. As a college player he was a walk-on quarterback at North Carolina and played there until 2003, when his playing career was cut short by a neck injury.

Frank Pollack — Offensive Line
    Pollack has been an NFL offensive line coach since 2007. He started with Houston (2007-11), went to Oakland in 2012, then to Dallas for four years, the first two as assistant OL coach, the last two as OL coach. Last season he coached Cincinnati's O-line. Before the Texans, he coached at his alma mater, Northern Arizona, in 2005 and '06 along with Derek Frazier. Pollack played 90 games (six starts) over six seasons as a tackle/guard with the 49ers from 1990-97.

Derek Frazier — Assistant Offensive Line
    Frazier comes to the Jets after a coaching career spent in the college ranks. He started at Nichols College (2000), then went to Adams State (2001), Fresno State (2003-04, '06-11), Northern Arizona (2005-06) and Colorado State (2012-14). His last four seasons he coached the offensive line at Central Michigan, adding the title of run game coordinator to his OL duties the past two seasons.

Bo Hardegree — Offensive Assistant
    Hardegree, 34, was Miami's quarterbacks coach under Gase from 2016-18. He began his NFL coaching career as offensive quality control coach with Denver in 2014 and moved to Chicago the next year as offensive assistant. Before the Broncos, he worked on the college level, as a graduate assistant at Duke (2008-10), where he earned his master's degree, and as an intern with LSU (2011-13).

DEFENSE
    Frank Bush — Assistant Head Coach Defense/Inside Linebackers
    Bush was Miami's assistant head coach and linebackers coach under Gase the past two seasons. After a short playing career as a Houston 'backer (1985-86), he has had a long career coaching NFL LBs among other positions.

He was a scout and then a coach for the Oilers (1987-94), then coached with the Broncos (1995-2003), Cardinals (2004-06), Texans (2007-10), Titans (2011-12) and Rams (2013-16). He was a part of Denver's two Super Bowl championships after the 1997 and '98 seasons and served as the Texans' defensive coordinator in 2009 and '10.

Andre Carter — Defensive Line
    Carter's first NFL coaching assignment was as Gase's assistant DL coach with Miami in 2017-18 after he was a graduate student assistant at his alma mater, California, in 2015 and a Bill Walsh NFL Diversity Coaching Fellowship participant with the 49ers in '16.

He is well-known for his playing career, 13 NFL seasons split among San Francisco (2001-05), for whom he was the seventh overall pick of the '01 draft, Washington (2006-10), New England (2011, '13) and Oakland ('12). He played in 184 games with 147 starts and racked up 80.5 sacks and 18 forced fumbles. Jets fans will remember him for his career-high four-sack game for the Patriots in a Sunday night MetLife Stadium game in 2011.

Joe Vitt — Senior Defensive Assistant/Outside Linebackers
    Vitt enters his 41st season in the NFL. Season No. 40 was spent on Gase's Miami staff last year as senior director of football and player development. Prior to that he spent 38 seasons as an NFL assistant coach with eight different teams, predominantly working with LBs. From 2006-16 he was assistant head coach/linebackers for New Orleans and helped the Saints win Super Bowl XLIV.

He also coached with St. Louis (2004-05), Kansas City (2000-03), Green Bay (1999), Philadelphia (1995-98), the Los Angeles Rams (1992-94), Seattle (1982-91) and the Baltimore Colts (1979-81). He served as an interim head coach twice, for the Saints in '12 and for the Rams in '05.

Blake Williams — Defensive Assistant
    Williams has nine years of NFL coaching experience, eight of them on staffs with his father, Gregg. Blake started out as a coaching intern with Washington in 2006-07, moved to Jacksonville in '08, was an offensive line assistant in '09 for the Super Bowl XLIV champion Saints and coached linebackers for two more years in New Orleans, was the coordinator and LBs coach for the Rams in 2012, and coached the Browns' LBs for the past two years. He also spent single seasons at Southeastern Louisiana University and William Jewell College and with the NFL league office.

Eric Sanders — Defensive Assistant
    Sanders completed his third season last year as Cleveland's defensive quality control coach on Gregg Williams' side of the ball. He also was a quality control coach with Oakland from 2010-14. In between his Raiders and Browns stints, he spent 2015 as a defensive assistant at Stanford. Sanders began coaching as video coordinator at UC Davis (Ken O'Brien's old school), before moving to tight ends and assistant offensive line coach. Then it was on to Utah for a year in '07 before returning to Davis as LBs coach in 2008-09.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/adam-gase-completes-his-jets-coaching-staff?campaign=tw

A father in law, a son and a whole lot of buddies from Miami! I really cant see how this is going to be anything but a failure:(

Interesting pairing with Williams and Vitt, considering Vitt testified against Williams in the bounty gate investigation.

Would have liked to see Kev Greene remain on the staff, he done a good job with a pretty mediocre linebacking core last year

Also Jim Bob Cooter had a bottom 5 rushing attack for each of his years as OC in Detroit, so an odd choice for a rb coach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Looks like a nice trade, low draft picks for a proven guard esp. now that the Jets are losing James Carpenter:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/11/the-jets-next-move-to-help-sam-darnold-just-became-clearer/

Lots of talk about signing Le'Veon Bell. I don't see it - it's not like when the Jets signed Curtis Martin, they were close to high-level contenders before signing him, and for a few years he brought them closer still. Bell would be super-expensive, I'd rather invest in the line and the D (which is pretty shaky in a lot of positions outside Safety), and maybe a mid-tier runner (or later draft pick.)

• Advertisement

Couple of very exciting signings last night, really looking forward to having an edge rush sewn up early, means that if we can't trade down, we'll have interior and exterior pressure supported by a decent secondary. Would love us to get Paridis to fill up the OL and really take a lot of the positional needs away from the draft.

hots wrote: »
    Couple of very exciting signings last night, really looking forward to having an edge rush sewn up early, means that if we can't trade down, we'll have interior and exterior pressure supported by a decent secondary. Would love us to get Paridis to fill up the OL and really take a lot of the positional needs away from the draft.

Aged well with Barr bailing and Paridis going nowhere near us! :o

We're still a starter short on the O Line, short of any sort of outside pressure and 2 corners light too... Plenty of holes left to fill!

Aged well with Barr bailing and Paridis going nowhere near us! :o

We're still a starter short on the O Line, short of any sort of outside pressure and 2 corners light too... Plenty of holes left to fill!

Roberts and Meyers are out too, so that's two big time special teamers they need to replace.
    Apparently they had no interest in Paridis which really worries me because that means they think they've got a starter in Harrison

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Sorry, daily news doesn't work anymore from Europe (GDPR stuff I suppose). What's the story?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sorry, daily news doesn't work anymore from Europe (GDPR stuff I suppose). What's the story?

there was a schedule leak today, I assume thats what its about
    https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/status/1118549596190445568

if that is the schedule, the first half of the season looks potentially a hell of a lot harder than the second half.

pretty early bye week this year as well

Yeah, to be done with NE so early is lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Looks like Edge rusher Josh Allen (and maybe even Nick Bosa) might be available at the 3rd pick. Seems several of the mock drafts have the Jets picking Quinnen Williams, DL, at the #3 spot or trading down a spot and taking him. Although I think their biggest need is at CB I don’t see how they can pass up on Allen or Bosa if they're available.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Quinnen Williams seems like a nice safe pick, guy looks like he can help immediately. The fact that he was only a 1 year starter on a great college team doesn't concern me - less wear and tear coming into the league. Now, get after the Patriots!

• Advertisement

Another easy first round pick for Mac, pretty much had to take him I think. Not the position of need but arguably the best player in the draft again. Really curious to see how we fit our D line on the field though, Q & Leo on the field every down with Anderson and McLendon rotating depending on Pass/Run?

Hard to get excited about another IDL, but hardly surprising pick. Macc is clearly a BPA type of guy, well a least for the first round anyway!
    There was a lot of talk of trades last night, I'd love to see the offers they turned down

Really curious to see how we fit our D line on the field though, Q & Leo on the field every down with Anderson and McLendon rotating depending on Pass/Run?

I dont think Gregg Williams will have any issue getting all 4 of them on the field, at least for the first 2 downs anyway. Leo and Anderson at DE with Quinnen and McLendon in the middle of the 2 of them and the likes of Mosely and Adams coming downhill behind them could be a scary prospect

Hard to get excited about another IDL, but hardly surprising pick. Macc is clearly a BPA type of guy, well a least for the first round anyway!
    There was a lot of talk of trades last night, I'd love to see the offers they turned down

Definitely! Although the other trades were all quite reasonable so I can't imagine we were offered anything special.

Whats the thoughts on Polite. If you just look at his tape he seems like an absolute steal, but he tested horribly at he combine and apparently is team interviews didnt go much better. Considering Macc has a rep of picking high character, maturer guys its interesting he went with a just turned 21 year old with plenty of red flags

Have been off boards for a while but had to log on to vent. First pick was a no brainer so cant complain. The next two have some risk attached but with high potential and are at positions of need. But then it all went pear shaped. Another tight end to add to the 5 already on the roster when a number of centres and corner backs on the board. Don't care how high some might rate him at some stage you have to draft for need in order to build a roster. Then another line backer coming off three shoulder surgeries and a corner back coming off 2 ACLs who has only played 5 games in the past two years. I know the late rounds are only a dart throw but this is the terrible draft strategy that constantly leaves the Jets with little or no depth at important positions. No O line depth will put our franchise QB at serious risk this season.

Have been off boards for a while but had to log on to vent. First pick was a no brainer so cant complain. The next two have some risk attached but with high potential and are at positions of need. But then it all went pear shaped. Another tight end to add to the 5 already on the roster when a number of centres and corner backs on the board. Don't care how high some might rate him at some stage you have to draft for need in order to build a roster. Then another line backer coming off three shoulder surgeries and a corner back coming off 2 ACLs who has only played 5 games in the past two years. I know the late rounds are only a dart throw but this is the terrible draft strategy that constantly leaves the Jets with little or no depth at important positions. No O line depth will put our franchise QB at serious risk this season.

I dont mind them taking another TE, I actually saw it as a position of need given every TE on the roster not named Herdon are sh1te.

The next two made little to no sense, as you said the late rounds are mainly a crapshot, you should really be giving yourself the best shot, taking injury prone player does not do this! I think both ACL's were on the same knee as well:eek:

Would have liked more picks to be spent on protecting Darnold alright. All day 3 picks could have realistically went on protecting Darnold. I think CB will be a major issue going forward this year as well

I dont mind them taking another TE, I actually saw it as a position of need given every TE on the roster not named Herdon are sh1te.

The next two made little to no sense, as you said the late rounds are mainly a crapshot, you should really be giving yourself the best shot, taking injury prone player does not do this! I think both ACL's were on the same knee as well:eek:

Would have liked more picks to be spent on protecting Darnold alright. All day 3 picks could have realistically went on protecting Darnold. I think CB will be a major issue going forward this year as well

In isolation the TE pick is okay but there were a players who would have filled a higher need especially at Centre. At the moment there is 1 below average centre on the roster and I don't know where they think another is going to come from!

The tight end pick was odd alright, but I guess they didn't fancy anything on the line and took the next best thing for protecting Sam in a pure blocking TE, I guess we'll be cutting away at the existing TEs. QW was a no brainer, Polite could be a steal or nothing, fair enough in the third round position of need. Tackle in the third seems ok, line bolstering at least. Cashman they must have been really high on or have zero faith in our existing edge guys, 2 of the same position when we have so few picks and multiple holes to fill seems mad. 6 round CB with the injury concerns feels like another punt on our medical teams ability, when we have so few corners I'd nearly prefer a lower talent guy who can definitely compete for the job.

I don't mind many of the picks but it's a fairly rigid BPA strategy the whole way through it looks like.

• Advertisement

In isolation the TE pick is okay but there were a players who would have filled a higher need especially at Centre. At the moment there is 1 below average centre on the roster and I don't know where they think another is going to come from!

2 now with an UDFA signing:o

Advertisement