Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kids swimming clubs Dun Laoghaire/South Dublin

• 21-02-2019 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering what swimming clubs are around for kids. I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old and mentioned to a friend that I'd try to find a club when they were a bit older. Friend was shocked that I didn't have their names down since they were 1 year old.

We're in Dun Laoghaire but interested in starting them swimming in something other than the water confidence classes they're going to at the moment.

I'm not sure how the club work so any help/guidance/advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Hi Gohard,

You are spoiled for choice around Dun Laoghaire. Barracuda, Trojans, Glenalbyn; are all good clubs which cater for kids https://www.swimireland.ie/membership/find-a-club

There's a bit of a difference between what a club provides, and what a pool provides. Usually a pool will offer beginner lessons to younger swimmers starting from around the ages of 4 to 6. They will then progress along various Levels 1-7, learning the different strokes and skills. Once they are proficient they can join a club, which will usually offer a more advanced atmosphere and a pathway to gala's etc.

There is often overlap (in that some clubs do also cater for younger swimmers, and obviously every club needs an anchor pool too), but if you have them in swim lessons at the moment, maybe ask parents of older children what they do when they progressed. Or ask any of the clubs I've mentioned.

As you allude many clubs are over-subscribed with waiting lists, but developing skills and ability is more important for now and will be mandatory for entry into most clubs (usually a child will undergo a swim proficiency test at age around 7 or so). If there are waiting lists... having been involved on a couple of club committees myself, one surefire way of highlighting your name on a list is to join the committee or offer to volunteer your time as needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Don’t forget TSC SC in templeogue. Great club for young kids. Great coaches.

https://www.teamunify.com/team/irletsc/page/home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

That's great. Thanks Kurt and Mad M.

Advertisement