Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye surgery 2019: recommendations & prices?

• 26-01-2019 12:31am

I'm conscious there are threads here going back years on eye surgery but I suppose I'm looking for updated options in 2019. In particular, I'm wondering what places have an excellent reputation but have reasonable prices in 2019?

I went for a similar test to Optilase about ten years ago and they said I was unsuited to eye surgery, so I'm not sure if that would have changed with Optilase now. They were then, at any rate, significantly cheaper to what I've just been quoted. At any rate, I sought somewhere else and I paid the €125 for the pre-surgery exam in Wellington Eye Clinic recently and was accepted for surgery. While they seem to run a professional business and have a good reputation, at €4200 for Lasik surgery (€5000 for both eyes without the private health insurance discount), I'm left wondering is there any other eye surgery clinic with an equally good reputation charging less than this? (these are pre-tax refund prices). Is there any place where VHI customers get a larger discount than the standard 15%? Or any other way to reduce the price with a reputable surgery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Optilase was significantly cheaper than that for me, around €3k in 2016. I don’t know what advances have been made in the last 10 years but probably worth checking if you can get a free consultation with them. They seem to be fairly well regarded and I had a good experience with them.

They do a referral program also where the person getting the surgery gets €100 off and whoever refers also gets €100.

If you want a referral let me know and I can provide my details for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

I had surgery with Optilase in early December for approx €2800.
    Even though they declined you 10 years ago it's worth contacting them again. As far as I'm aware, all companies use the same equipment.
    PM me if you have any questions or need a referral code. Good luck with your decision, it's well worth it imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Yes Optilase are fine. Its mostly the same procedure and technology used by all of them. I had several consultations 4 years ago and went with Optilase in the end. I paid approx €3200 for Lasik. Everything went 100% and of course my eyesight is perfect at 20/20. It was -3 both eyes previous.

Their consultation, surgery and aftercare was very thorough. I had surgery done at Ely Place. And yep everyone that has had it done with Optilase can be used as a referral for discount, so anyone can send me a PM if they want a referral or if they need any advise re the whole process. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

I rang Optilase, the guy asked me a few questions, and then quoted me €3700

I don't have health insurance, mentioned a 15% discount of some sort.

I told him that was out of my budget and I'd look around elsewhere instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

It's worth going up for the consultation anyway. Keep any eye out for the €500 off vouchers that come out every so often, this is close to the 15% off if you had health insurance.

I also had a consultation with optical express and they were around the same price. I didn't like their sales team at all though, they were very pushy and would ring at any time of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

jive wrote: »
    Optilase was significantly cheaper than that for me, around €3k in 2016. I don’t know what advances have been made in the last 10 years but probably worth checking if you can get a free consultation with them. They seem to be fairly well regarded and I had a good experience with them.

They do a referral program also where the person getting the surgery gets €100 off and whoever refers also gets €100.

If you want a referral let me know and I can provide my details for it.

Hi Jive. Looking for info on the process. If I go ahead, happy for you to refer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Hi Jive. Looking for info on the process. If I go ahead, happy for you to refer me.

PM’d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Hi,

Jumping on this thread. I've two consultations for laser eye this week - one in optical express and one in optilase.
    I'm just wondering about driving after the consultation. One of them said that they recommend you don't drive for the rest of the day whereas the other crowd didn't mention it at all and I forgot to ask.
    For people who have gotten it done - was driving a no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarah23lou

Hey!
    No you definitely can't drive after the consultation, I went to optilase and it was the following day before I could see clearly again! The drops the put in your eyes dilate your pupils.
    Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Hi,

Jumping on this thread. I've two consultations for laser eye this week - one in optical express and one in optilase.
    I'm just wondering about driving after the consultation. One of them said that they recommend you don't drive for the rest of the day whereas the other crowd didn't mention it at all and I forgot to ask.
    For people who have gotten it done - was driving a no no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

sarah23lou wrote: »
    Hey!
    No you definitely can't drive after the consultation, I went to optilase and it was the following day before I could see clearly again! The drops the put in your eyes dilate your pupils.

Thanks very much for the info. Really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

Does anyone know the cost of the lens implant surgery at Mater private? Is it covered by private health insurance?

Advertisement