Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin neighbouring towns - where would you buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think where exactly you work in town makes a massive difference. Down around heuston etc you're absolutely golden. If you have to go in to docklands or the ifsc it gets so much worse.

Very true, that last leg of the journey from Hueston to IFSC is an absolute killer. While it is only about 3km it is painfully slow and thats if you can even get on a Luas in the first place. Dublin badly needs Dart Underground to finally properly link Hueston-Tara-Pearse with a fast and frequent rail link. Instead what we have is a railway netork that isnt connected adequately to get you where you actually need to be. The Red Line Luas is long over capacity.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A fold up bicycle would be the answer there. If I was living in any of the places mentioned where you had to deal with traffic I would be getting a motorbike fairly quickly. Life is too short for long commutes.

If I were doing that last leg Hueston to IFSC then a bicycle is the only way to go. You would easily cover that distance in 12 minutes on a bicycle at peak whereas with the Luas at peak it is anybodys guess and there is no guarantee you will be able to get on the first Luas that shows up. Cycling gives you more certainity and consistency on how long it will take.
    Ideally, your best off not working in Dublin city centre at all. Hard obviously because that's were the most jobs are

Have a couple of friends who gave up jobs in the CC when they began commuting from Wicklow. They found the slog too hard, some days it was taking 1.5 hours into the city and the same again on the way home. Instead they got jobs in Sandyford area, wages are slightly less but they are infinitely happy with a much easier commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Sono wrote: »
    people say where they bought and say it takes x amount of time to get into the city, I would say this is probably not completely true and no one has mentioned the annoyance the daily commute causes them every day.
    Not sure if this remark is about me quoting the journey time? it can be obtained from the web (irish rail & luas)
    Partially agree about commute.

Sono wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with living in any town outside of Dublin whatsoever I’m sure a lot of them are lovely places and people are quite happy with their decision to live there.

The thing is when someone comes on and looking for advice to buy outside of Dublin and people say where they bought and say it takes x amount of time to get into the city, I would say this is probably not completely true and no one has mentioned the annoyance the daily commute causes them every day.

It all comes down to how much a person values time, to me personally it is very important but may not be for others I guess.

Money is more of a factor than not valuing time.
    3.5 times of most people's salaries doesn't get you a house in Dublin. Not a decent one anyways.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MayBea wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the areas around red luas line, but I doubt you get a 4-bed in a private estate for €310k (down for correction) in any of them, same for Dart line.
    Where would you recommend to buy to a person who has €310k and works in IFSC?

I don't know if you would to be honest. Probably not.

I probably should have quoted your other comment as it was more relevant to that.
    It's 16 mins from heuston to george's dock, I just googled it. Overall it's 35 mins + 5 min walk + 16 minutes = 56 minutes . Considering you paid €310k for a 4 bed detached house I think it is really good.
    As an example I live close to Sandyford Luas st (very much in Dublin) and takes me 45 minutes by luas to get to George's dock.
    So, 56 minutes can go down to 45 for an additional €300k (4 bed starts from 600k in my area).

They can shave 10 minutes or more without spending an extra 300k. If you live somewhere on the red line or the DART line, they would have a quicker commute than from Kildare and Sandyford without spending 600k on a 4 bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Nyla Hundreds Joyrider

Tbf lot of places on the red line you wouldn't want to be raising a family.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tbf lot of places on the red line you wouldn't want to be raising a family.

I also said the DART line.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Just a couple observations:

obviously obviously obviously commute is a major factor when buying a house but ultimately I think people should just focus on trying to get the nicest house possible that they can afford, in an area that they like and in an area that they would be willing to raise children in one day. Jobs change, locations of jobs change. What may be do-able or even ideal from a commute perspective now may be a non-starter in a few years time if you were to change job.

Train schedules nad bus routes etc etc are changing all the time, some for better, some for worse - would you really want to buy a house just because it was convenient for one bus or one train timetable that may change at any time? For a job location you may not permanently be in? someone mentioned choosing Newbridge over Leixlip earlier because the train to Newbridge can be faster and more convenient. If that were the only reason someone bought in Newbridge over Leixlip then I would have alarm bells ringing - a change to that train schedule and all of a sudden you may find yourself majorly questioning your decision.

as someone who's moving from a 30 minute walkable commute to a 1.5 hour bus/walk commute in the near future, I am not trying to diminish the significance of a commute when buying a home. I just think a long term approach should be taken - you may not be doing that same commute forever, for a multiple number of reasons. Try buy in an area with multiple transport links - going west and south too - some more jobs opening up in towns outside of Dublin these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Sono

MayBea wrote: »
    Not sure if this remark is about me quoting the journey time? it can be obtained from the web (irish rail & luas)
    Partially agree about commute.

Not aimed at you at all, obviously everyone’s circumstances are different, most of us will work 9-5 or thereabouts and this is the crucial time for most.

Some of the suggestions for commute are bloody horrific and I would seriously question people’s happiness doing this journey day in day out.

I would also question the financial savings also but that’s just my views on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Surprised Enfield wasn't mentioned. Decent town, close to bigger shopping areas if needed and 50 minutes train journey to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Not sure if mentioned, ratoath meath. Nice area I get to work driving to train then 35 mins train. I work in ifsc, is 1 hour door to door. If u live near the Ashbourne connect bus stop is a bit quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Goose76 wrote: »
    Just a couple observations:

obviously obviously obviously commute is a major factor when buying a house but ultimately I think people should just focus on trying to get the nicest house possible that they can afford, in an area that they like and in an area that they would be willing to raise children in one day. Jobs change, locations of jobs change. What may be do-able or even ideal from a commute perspective now may be a non-starter in a few years time if you were to change job.

Train schedules nad bus routes etc etc are changing all the time, some for better, some for worse - would you really want to buy a house just because it was convenient for one bus or one train timetable that may change at any time? For a job location you may not permanently be in? someone mentioned choosing Newbridge over Leixlip earlier because the train to Newbridge can be faster and more convenient. If that were the only reason someone bought in Newbridge over Leixlip then I would have alarm bells ringing - a change to that train schedule and all of a sudden you may find yourself majorly questioning your decision.

as someone who's moving from a 30 minute walkable commute to a 1.5 hour bus/walk commute in the near future, I am not trying to diminish the significance of a commute when buying a home. I just think a long term approach should be taken - you may not be doing that same commute forever, for a multiple number of reasons. Try buy in an area with multiple transport links - going west and south too - some more jobs opening up in towns outside of Dublin these days.

I would disagree people way underestimate how much of a negative effect a commute has on them. By and large if people change jobs they will remain in the city. This is where the competition is. For the majority moving outside the city will involve a pay cut. A mortgage is nearly always a depreciating cost, commuting costs on the other hand you can be certain will increase. I prefer the old advice, Buy the worst house in the best area you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Im surprised people having mentioned Dunboyne more. Very quite , very safe area. A nice town with friendly atmosphere and with great schools , newly built train stations and ur very close to the Navan Road and Blanchardstown shopping centre. ( less then 10 mins away from Blanchardstown shopping centre). Similar kind of town to Maynooth but just smaller, just less busier and less nicer restaurants. But in North kildare/ South Meath area Maynooth and Dunboyne wud be the best places. Houses here will always be worth something. The most expensive per acre of agricultural land sold in the last 5 years in every year in the whole country outside Dublin was around Maynooth and Dunboyne. The whole area has good standard of living. I remeber Vincent Browne when he went on tv show tour of every consistency. He always had stats on every consistency. And he said outside Dublin , the area of South Meath had the highest living standard, wealthiest rural area and surrounding areas in the country. If u go for Ratoath Ashbourne Dunshaughlin Kilcock Leixlip or Celbridge you wouldnt go to wrong. But Maynooth wud be best followed by Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Surprised Enfield wasn't mentioned. Decent town, close to bigger shopping areas if needed and 50 minutes train journey to Connolly.

will we call it an hour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

I am following the subject but what about those who can afford the house up to 225? It is easy to give advice if you have 300 and more to buy the house. WE have 225 and we need desperately place to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Neil Shaggy Sidecar

elizunia87 wrote: »
    I am following the subject but what about those who can afford the house up to 225? It is easy to give advice if you have 300 and more to buy the house. WE have 225 and we need desperately place to buy.

Drogheda. I have sold 2 3 bed semis for that in the past month, both a 10 minute walk to the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

elizunia87 wrote:

Clonee or Ongar could be an option. Very built up areas . Both villages are small but u r close to Navan road and few minutes from Blanchardstown shopping centre. Clonee is a quite enough area. Im surprised it hasnt been mentioned. Safe with little problems , village is small and a bit dead. But overall worth checking out. Ongar cud be cheaper , Clonee wud a bit dearer..Ongar is close to Clonsilla Coolmine , its a new developed town and area with new educate together schools just open in the area. I wud check it out also. Also Enfield cud be an option. Not certain of house prices there now. But I remeber few years ago they were much cheaper then the Maynooths and Rataoths. Navan could also be an option. Navan has alot of pluses and positives.

Thank you, I am checking the houses in Drogheda- they are amazing. We would not like to buy apt as you have to pay the management fee and we have a dog. Ongar has only couple of apt but definitely Drogheda and Navan are on our list. Does anyone know how long is the drive from Drogheda to Dublin Airport?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I think where exactly you work in town makes a massive difference. Down around heuston etc you're absolutely golden. If you have to go in to docklands or the ifsc it gets so much worse.

Absolutely. I'm in Trim and worked in Phibs, work then moved to south city. A few miles away has essentially doubled a commute by car depending on time. If you live outside of Dublin but work on the same side of the city as you commute from, it can be fine. Crossing the city is an absolute nightmare though. Thankfully I WFH 3 days per week and go in early the other days, but if I was moving jobs I would avoid south city based on where I live. North/west city would be much more convenient.
    Sonny678 wrote: »
    Im surprised people having mentioned Dunboyne more. Very quite , very safe area. A nice town with friendly atmosphere and with great schools , newly built train stations and ur very close to the Navan Road and Blanchardstown shopping centre. ( less then 10 mins away from Blanchardstown shopping centre). Similar kind of town to Maynooth but just smaller, just less busier and less nicer restaurants. But in North kildare/ South Meath area Maynooth and Dunboyne wud be the best places. Houses here will always be worth something. The most expensive per acre of agricultural land sold in the last 5 years in every year in the whole country outside Dublin was around Maynooth and Dunboyne. The whole area has good standard of living. I remeber Vincent Browne when he went on tv show tour of every consistency. He always had stats on every consistency. And he said outside Dublin , the area of South Meath had the highest living standard, wealthiest rural area and surrounding areas in the country. If u go for Ratoath Ashbourne Dunshaughlin Kilcock Leixlip or Celbridge you wouldnt go to wrong. But Maynooth wud be best followed by Dunboyne.

Dunboyne almost a Dublin suburb at this stage and priced as such, nice place but expensive - I'd guess that's why it's not been mentioned much.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Ended up buying just outside of Skerries/Rush area, small town/rural but nice feel about it. Everything you need is there and only 30 mins on train into Dublin so very commutable. Got a decent size house for the money we paid and it's a new build which is great, also on the coast which is an added bonus.

Just in case anyone is thinking of moving to Skerries it has NEVER been a 30 minute minute commute by train to Dublin. In fact, with the introduction of the new train timetable in December what was once a 40 minute journey is now closer to 50 minutes. Factor in overcrowded trains and a 50-50 chance of getting a seat at peak time it makes a door to door commute of at least an hour (depending on getting to the station at both ends - it could be a lot more) and not a comfortable one either!

Still a nice place to live though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Neil Shaggy Sidecar

Thank you, I am checking the houses in Drogheda- they are amazing. We would not like to buy apt as you have to pay the management fee and we have a dog. Ongar has only couple of apt but definitely Drogheda and Navan are on our list. Does anyone know how long is the drive from Drogheda to Dublin Airport?

26 minutes from Drogheda train station to the airport. You will do it most days at most times in that time, rarely M1 traffic before the airport exit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Unshelved wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is thinking of moving to Skerries it has NEVER been a 30 minute minute commute by train to Dublin. In fact, with the introduction of the new train timetable in December what was this once a 40 minute journey is now closer to 50 minutes. Factor in overcrowded trains and a 50-50 chance of getting a seat at peak time it makes a door to door commute of at least an hour (depending on getting to the station at both ends - it could be a lot more) and not a comfortable one either!

Still a nice place to live though!

Two friends of mine live in Lusk and Rush, they were the ones that told me about the 30 min train journey to Connolly.

If it's 40 or 50 mins as you say, I'm not worried tbh and I have the flexibility to go in early and come home early so an few extra mins either way isn't really a concern but thanks for the heads up.

When I rented in Templeogue, a bike into the city centre office took 40 mins and a bus took up to 1hour 10 mins with another 15 min walk from the stop.

There is also a bus service from Rush which claims 40 mins but I'm not sure i believe that.

Another option for me is a motorbike which should be 40 mins max as a colleague of mine lives in Bettystown and that's how he gets to the office in that time.

Either way, we got a house we love, lots of space at a great price in a location we love so we are happy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There are some lovely houses for sale in Drogheda and it's around 30 mins from the airport to Drogheda town.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Trim (Meath) would be a nice spot to live. It looks very well. A good supply of schools, shops, pubs, restaurants. About an hour from Dublin city on the bus.
    Don’t see what’s to like about Navan.

"If
    it's 40 or 50 mins as you say, I'm not worried tbh and I have the flexibility to go in early and come home early so an few extra mins either way isn't really a concern but thanks for the heads up.
    "

Outside of the summer you won't get a train seat on the inward journey to Dublin from Rush & Lusk. That gets very wearing very quickly and with the amount of houses being built along the line is not likely to get better. The introduction to the Dart to Balbriggan might improve frequency but will make the journey longer.

33 bus service is not very frequent but reliable enough going towards Dublin - but factor in a journey of 70-80 minutes from Rush (about 90 minutes from Skerries) and add a further 10-20 minutes for the 33a because you have to change buses at Swords.

Unshelved wrote: »
    "If it's 40 or 50 mins as you say, I'm not worried tbh and I have the flexibility to go in early and come home early so an few extra mins either way isn't really a concern but thanks for the heads up. "

Outside of the summer you won't get a train seat on the inward journey to Dublin from Rush & Lusk. That gets very wearing very quickly and with the amount of houses being built along the line is not likely to get better. The introduction to the Dart to Balbriggan might improve frequency but will make the journey longer.

33 bus service is not very frequent but reliable enough going towards Dublin - but factor in a journey of 70-80 minutes from Rush (about 90 minutes from Skerries) and add a further 10-20 minutes for the 33a because you have to change buses at Swords.

What about the fingal express?

7.10am from Skerries is too early a start for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RiceCrispy

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    What about the fingal express?

Fingal express from Lusk is 40 mins to city centre and very comfortable.

8.09am train from Rush & Lusk station gets to Connolly 8.40am. Tight on seating but it's a short journey.

Anyone know what kind of quality are those houses in Finglas / Tallagh for 175-220k? Are they really in a rough area?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finglas is considered a fairly rough area and any part of Tallaght where you can get a house that cheap won't be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Shop40 wrote: »
    Trim (Meath) would be a nice spot to live. It looks very well. A good supply of schools, shops, pubs, restaurants. About an hour from Dublin city on the bus.
    Don’t see what’s to like about Navan.

What does Trim offer that Navan doesn't? Navan has 3 times the population and is probably better serviced in a lot ways. Like every town, there are some less desirable areas but we live in a lovely quiet mature area (And this is a new build!).

Advertisement