Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why don’t people bet for small gains?

• 06-12-2018 9:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

I see people doing football accumulators,doubles etc or large single bets etc but why don’t people just try make small gains
    Just going by Paddy Powers last night if I gambled 2 euro on 5 games so 10 euro my return was 14.43
    For just a few clicks a 4.43 is good if I had done that bet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

sasta le wrote: »
    I see people doing football accumulators,doubles etc or large single bets etc but why don’t people just try make small gains
    Just going by Paddy Powers last night if I gambled 2 euro on 5 games so 10 euro my return was 14.43
    Bookies odds are set in their favour, the more bets u have the more likely your luck will run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Bookies odds are set in their favour, the more bets u have the more likely your luck will run out.
    Exchanges normally run much closer to 100%. 105-110 as compared to sometimes nearly 150% on a horseracing book. Even then though while the entire market is structured in their favour, it's component parts are based largely on opinion, and these can be wildly wrong. I guess the point is to pinpoint where the book might be wrong. Get decent at that and you can beat the bookie so to speak. By no means suggesting I can do that btw. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

you are right and more people should do singles but most wouldnt be
    happy with a small return on investment.
    Plenty I work with stick on their 10/20 accum every sat or sunday and never win so there's thousands doing that exact same type bet so how can the bookies lose in fairness?

I ran a few logs over a year here covering all sports and managed to finish slightly ahead but being a few hundred up over a year of chipping away wouldnt be enough for a lot or they wouldnt have the patience or discipline for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

mailburner wrote: »
    you are right and more people should do singles but most wouldnt be
    happy with a small return on investment.
    Plenty I work with stick on their 10/20 accum every sat or sunday and never win so there's thousands doing that exact same type bet so how can the bookies lose in fairness?

I ran a few logs over a year here covering all sports and managed to finish slightly ahead but being a few hundred up over a year of chipping away wouldnt be enough for a lot or they wouldnt have the patience or discipline for it.

Any link or are you still betting?

Any link or are you still betting?

only on mma as I haven't the hours to put into it anymore and I love mma

this is my third year doing it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1278

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105719288#post105719288

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102118642#post102118642

and the two yearly logs I was referring to
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97079766#post97079766

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93688270#post93688270

more recent and not so good but shag all discipline and this craic requires a lot of time and effort.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106599777#post106599777

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gambling for many is about the large dopamine rush of a big win.
    Small gains are boring and bring very little satisfaction when you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I have zero interest in football or other sports (except perhaps watching Ireland playing rugby), but since I started betting on football/tennis matches I've been gripped. So I see it as sort of like paying a fee to watch a game. Of course when you win it's great, but I only bet small amounts so would probably spend the equivalent on a single night out, of what I've put into bets this entire year. It makes sports interesting for me.

I've been following a forum called covers.com where they seemingly bet thousands (or at least claim to), and I've gained a fascinating insight into tennis as a result.

Know more about tennis now than I ever did prior to 2018, so I have betting to thank for that and making the year interesting :)

Some mad skills in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm no gambler but I'll sometimes throw a few quid on a huge accumulator, go with my gut and pick the results of a bunch of games with odds of 5000/1 or something like that.

Why not do smaller bets? Because frankly I couldn't care less about winning €4, it would be meaningless to me. And I don't know enough to bet big money on 2/1 shots to get big returns that way.

If I was going to take the time and effort to research a large quantity of smarter bets and try to win money that way, then I would probably be better off just doing some overtime at work and getting paid more than I would win on a football match, economically it would be a far better use of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Because betting for small gains is boring. I bet every week €20-30.
    This year has not been good. I'm down €350. But last year I won a few more and was up over 2k.
    I do it for the enjoyment of it. The few times I win in the year are great too because there is always something I want but wouldn't spend the money on per se, but will get whatever I want with gambling winnings

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Clueless gambler here, I put on RBTTS bets each week.I pick 4-5 games (like a lottery) and do doubles/Trebels on them. My mind says it's impossible to get 3 or more right.But the truth is it's hard enough to even pick 2.
    I'd be down more than I'm up. But occasionally I might have 4 euro bet, but gets offered s 70-90 euro cash out and that's the thrill.
    Then my mind says if I had 400 euro on would I be offered 90000 and that's the danger :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

4 quid!?

my sole aim more or less is to finish ahead of the bookie and even if that means a hundred or two a year then it feels like more as it's not an easy thing to do.
    I do the odd small bet with huge odds also which never comes up

everyone has their own reason for betting though.

I'm betting longer that some were born here I'd imagine :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

lawred2 wrote: »
    4 quid!?

Yeah if I had placed the bet which I don’t know what maybe have taken me a minute I would have made 4.43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This is perhaps a very poor example. 10.0 on single x5lines of 2.0, for +4.4 assuming all or most results go as intended isn't generally likely, nor recommended. This could instead have been used as an 4/5 acca with insurance available for 4+ events.

Two evenly ranked teams will often be 1.83 vs 1.83, but then there is the draw which most folks overlook, and the books make the most on that factor.

The only way to beat the bookie to outsmart them, 'a level playing field does not exist'. Risk aversion, pricing, knowledge and foresight is key here. E.g. was hard to see Liverpool not winning against ManU such is their recent form, and enhanced group prices were available for it too.

Advantages are more likely in novelty events or even just simple mis-priced events.

e.g. One bookie yesterday left a market open at 10.0 (would also have as acca line if it was available), this when every other book had it shortening at <5.0. Just a few hours later and the price is droopped to just 2.5-3.0.

26DjfiP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭jacool

If you place a five-team acca in football for example, which people do weekly on say City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Celtic you end up with something around a 5/2 shot (assuming all at home)
    The actual odds of all 5 winning are 242/1
    That’s why you should be betting singles – the bookie has 242 outcomes that are a win for him , and you have one, and you are lucky if you ever get bigger than 5/1 on the fancied teams (assuming one or more playing away)

Note: The five teams to win at odds of 2/5 is usually where they are Betting In Running on live football games around the world, and all 5 teams are leading with games in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

you are right and the reason is people think they can get rich quick or have one good win and then think they can do it again.
    Bookies love mug punters doing luckys and accums, difficult enough to get one winner let alone 5

I do mainly horses and do small stakes on big price horses. You can get just a good return on a low stake on a big price as you can throwing large sum on a low price fave. Sometimes you make it back in just placing.
    I normally do a quid e/w on 16-1 or over, and the few occasions I do luckys or accums, i put 10 cent on them. sometimes you get a win, but it stops you over gambling. Ive seen so many mugs throwing 50 or 100 more on a evens fave and lost it all as faves only win 45-50% of the time. The punters set the price of the horse, not the horse itself, sometimes it just dont fancy running about in the cold with a man on its back, they human

Advertisement