Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 boomer310

Beautiful..colour ...would have been interested in seeing planned to

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mclovin442

Can anyone tell me where I might find a live edge slab for a table project I want to start for the darker/more miserable months!! Small bit of experience in woodwork but wouldn't have a clue about buying for a project like this

Looking for oak/maple/something with a bit of character. I want to try my hand at a river table so would need a nice edge. Dimensions would probably be 1200mm X 700mm.

Would appreciate if anyone can give me a rough idea about what I'd pay for the above of any advice on the project itself

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robbair

mclovin442 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I might find a live edge slab for a table project I want to start for the darker/more miserable months!! Small bit of experience in woodwork but wouldn't have a clue about buying for a project like this

Looking for oak/maple/something with a bit of character. I want to try my hand at a river table so would need a nice edge. Dimensions would probably be 1200mm X 700mm.

Would appreciate if anyone can give me a rough idea about what I'd pay for the above of any advice on the project itself

No idea where to find a nice board at the moment I am afraid, but plenty of inspiration on Instructables for that type of project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What thickness plank do you want

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Hi all,

I'm looking for suppliers in the east coast - preferably Wicklow - that sell melamine veneered chip/mdf/ply directly to the public (i.e. they'll sell to non-trade) and even better if they do half sheets - any ideas?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Don't know anyone in wicklow, but try Woodworkers, Noyeks, Panel Depot, all in Dublin

What thickness plank do you want

I was hoping to get a hold of something 40-50mm thick.

Robbair wrote: »
    No idea where to find a nice board at the moment I am afraid, but plenty of inspiration on Instructables for that type of project.

Thanks, appreciate the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

joe90p wrote: »
    Hi All

Living in Galway City, Just started woodworking and following along with a Paul Sellers workbench build video.

I am having some trouble sourcing the larger pieces of timber e.g 70x90mm for legs. So far I have got pieces from B and Q.

Lokking for advice on
    * Cost effective options for getting larger pieces of timber.
    * transporting timber.
    Try the builder's suppliers, there's a few around Galway, there's one in Moneenageisha and one in Ballybrit off the top of my head. They usually have timber in dimensions you dont get from woodies and B&Q. Not sure if they're the same crowd running it anymore but I built a bench and a bed a few years ago and got the bigger pieces from the place in Moneenageisha, they also arranged for delivery for a fee.

I was hoping to get a hold of something 40-50mm thick.

Try Kiln Dried Hardwoods near Greystones , or Done Deal / Adverts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Alex Nuzum

Hi there!

I'm doing construction studies for my leaving cert.
    I was wonder if the anybody in Leinster (preferably in or around Arklow) had any nice wood I could buy? I would be willing to pay up to €50 and/or trade some wood I have out in the shed that wasn't suitable for the project.

Here's the sort of thing I'm looking for:

https: //imgur dot com/hBwAY7b

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Alex Nuzum wrote: »
    Hi there!

I was wonder if the anybody in Leinster (preferably in or around Arklow) had any nice wood I could buy? I would be willing to pay up to €50 and/or trade some wood I have out in the shed that wasn't suitable for the project.

oopsie bad link?

tim
    tried to follow link
    failed sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alex Nuzum

@timfromtang remove the spaces and change the dot to a real dot. (apparently I can’t post proper links).

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Alex Nuzum wrote: »
    Hi there!

I managed to follow the link after your help, thank you.

I have a chunk of burr elm may suit?
    pm me?
    tim
    I am located in Tang about 19km north of Athlone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone any suggestions on this; it's a rescue from storm ali, basically the bottom of the tree just as it starts to turn into the rootplate. as such, i can't go near it with a chainsaw as it's probably going to be full of soil and stones, but would like to split it into workable chunks to stick on the lathe (though some of it will be very punky).
    i suspect it will be a lost cause trying to split it with a splitting wedge, as the grain will be in all directions?

the dimensions of what you can see here - about 24" x 18"

464966.jpg

lost cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

anyone any suggestions on this; it's a rescue from storm ali, basically the bottom of the tree just as it starts to turn into the rootplate. as such, i can't go near it with a chainsaw as it's probably going to be full of soil and stones, but would like to split it into workable chunks to stick on the lathe (though some of it will be very punky).
    i suspect it will be a lost cause trying to split it with a splitting wedge, as the grain will be in all directions?

lost cause?

A big bow saw is probably the best option if you don't want to risk a splitting wedge or your chainsaw; e.g. a 36" Bahco https://www.bahco.com/en/p/professional-bow-saw/33-b4-07-5e-d3-bf-d6-6b-72-f8-6b-8e-57-ac-da-8c/

464966.jpg

lost cause?

Hit the bottom with a power washer. then I'd use a sharpened old chain on my chainsaw, probably a couple of old chains really. You will hit rocks, etc, but if like many, you have a nail somewhere with a few old chainsaw chains on, then you can cut it.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wood2Go

I have loads of these bits if any good for woodturning... wood is called Basra Locus or Angelique...

Comes in different sizes... mostly rectangular pieces...

Don't know how to add pics... but if any1 wants to see them we are based in The Downs, Mullingar, co. Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hi folks looking to source some western cedar planks. Based in Carlow but travel nationwide so can easily pick up NSEW.

I'm going to throw my handle at carving a couple of canoe paddles. Appreciate I can buy cheap pine ones online but where's the satisfaction in that.

So I'm thinking I'll probably need 2 x planks 150mmx1600mmx40mm obviously with as few knots as possible.

This is more of an interest than anything so if anyone has already done this or has some tips that would be great. Perhaps a more robust wood?

TIA and mods apologies if this is in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Hi,

I am working with pine for the last 1.5 year and now I want to try to do something with hardwood.

I am in the process of designing a coffee table for my living room and was thinking to do it from walnut or something darkish brown.

Can anyone recommend a place to buy "cheap" hardwood planks around Limerick (I don't mind driving to Clare or Tipperary) or if you think that walnut is too expensive and I could use something cheaper please share with me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Walnut's definitely expensive, but on the other hand, it's beautiful to look at and a joy to work with. I'd happily pay the extra, but that's because this is just a hobby and I don't get much time in the shed. Not sure how long a professional would take to roll his eyes at that :D If you were, say, learning to dovetail, I think there's a reasonable argument to buy a small amount of walnut to do it with, at least for the first few, because you're effectively cutting them on easy mode to get used to them and then you can go cut them in woods that are less cooperative and split-prone.

Oak's fun once you get used to it. I've not had great luck with ash, but I think that's down to cack-handedness.

I really like poplar for some reason. When you find clear stuff, without that green tinge, it's really pretty. Plus, it's lightweight compared to oak. I'll happily use it as a primary wood, not just for desk drawers and hidden bits.

Sapele looks beautiful but it's a right pig to work with hand tools (because that beautiful surface iridescence is coming from alternating grain directions), or at least I've found it to be that way.

As to sources, I'm afraid everything I know anything about is up near Dublin :(

Thanks for your answer. I still need to track where can I buy it cheapest and then to decide with what wood to start with. Would sawmills deal with hobby buyers and would they stock dried timber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hi,

I am working with pine for the last 1.5 year and now I want to try to do something with hardwood.

I am in the process of designing a coffee table for my living room and was thinking to do it from walnut or something darkish brown.

Can anyone recommend a place to buy "cheap" hardwood planks around Limerick (I don't mind driving to Clare or Tipperary) or if you think that walnut is too expensive and I could use something cheaper please share with me? :)

Have you tried JP Corry in Cahir Co Tipp ? ( they may have changed their name by now )
    Its been a few years since I was there but they had a great selection. Buying hardwoods can seem very expensive but the stuff doesn't go off as long as you can store it so try to buy some extra -- you can plan for future projects.
    Outlets in the ROI are geared to the kitchen supply trade if you ask me. They rarely offer delivery services for small amounts so bring a saw with you if all you have is a small car.

Thank you very much, I can see they have a nice stock of hardwoods and I will try to send them an e-mail to get some prices per sq foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thank you very much, I can see they have a nice stock of hardwoods and I will try to send them an e-mail to get some prices per sq foot.

Yes. they are primarily a NI outlet so probably source their woods through the UK. Prices are per cubic foot ( we have a curious aversion to the metric system when buying wood ) A good trick to remember is that a cubic foot of wood is a plank 12 inches wide x 12 ft long x 1 inch thick.;)

recipio wrote: »
    Yes. they are primarily a NI outlet so probably source their woods through the UK. Prices are per cubic foot ( we have a curious aversion to the metric system when buying wood ) A good trick to remember is that a cubic foot of wood is a plank 12 inches wide x 12 ft long x 1 inch thick.;)

I am still trying to get used to the imperial system after using metric one my whole life. Rule of thumb that I use for calculating sq feet = (Width x Height x Lenght)/144 (And then I get something like 100€ per plank :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The benefits of getting to know your local garden centre - I spent the evening cutting up about 80kg - very rough guess - of cherry. A section of trunk of between 12 and 14 inches in diameter, and probably over four foot long.

I am still trying to get used to the imperial system after using metric one my whole life. Rule of thumb that I use for calculating sq feet = (Width x Height x Lenght)/144 (And then I get something like 100€ per plank :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

You would easily carry €100 worth of walnut under one arm, Poplar would be the cheapest hardwood, followed by Iroko, and sapele , then ash and beech, followed by oak with cherry and walnut the most expensive. American alder is available in some places and is similar to cherry but half the price

• Advertisement

Thank you, lads, for all the info. I will try to ring a couple of places and weight which would be the best option.

Advertisement