Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identify Insect ?

• 26-07-2018 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone able to point me at a website or organisation that can help me identify various bugs I'm finding around my house and garden?

The hot weather seems to be throwing up some pretty amazing looking things and I'm just concerned to know if they are dangerous or not seeing as we have a 2yr old in the house...

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi there,

Lots of people post here . I'll see if I can think of more non-Boards sites, if I do I'll post them here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Just wondering what this is? Haven't seen it before I think

Just wondering what this is? Haven't seen it before I think

20rk2up.jpg

fxfbe0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A wasp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The head and the antennae are a bit strange for a wasp, this reminds me more of a soldier fly, but EDIT the ones I know of are completely black with green/blue hues. Their larvae do an amazing, unbelievable job at breaking down compost heaps - a couple of days, maybe three, and you'd go from leftovers and cuttings to compost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can you get a better picture?
    Maybe an honey bee?

There was 2 of them. But I put them outside, thought the dog might go for them. I took a few pics, il see if there is a better picture

Not a honey bee, either.

Sorry, that was the best pictures I took.. Was a bit nervous around them.

Found it I think for anyone that's curious. Sawfly
    https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tenthredo_brevicornis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Ohhkay,
    Well the beastie I was wonderin about originally... was this .. found crawlin round the bath.. about 3cm long...

rzzlsK88cegjBEQkpAdjcGjiw5odQ1WU0RrchsuVZuFbK7H0x-OLifUw6gjkdNbXJhOgeEd1Hv1KaCMQNrjEEGovDaFSKwIt9__oFy2weMGNh19_CdYPpNwmXWzpMy4bTK-WiBGXRfv-iTSHJS2HIlvtyTvJMMVPj41tik2rRwbDtUSkL5scuSOyy3CVml7ghgu-ZjJm-W2cFEoFL4k9lg_pkdeykvSvpHVDjO3_Rue74Pc-mg3px_acFRlVfRjPsjQ_YQCK-ASkhdZ1t-8nRJVWZxCeImBtwKEte0K-XgUxjZP96ehEd33BuHPSlhtVB3iP_7_3m75eM8PKIhstJmJd9xUA7iUm2hDaKq7SS-akacx2jwMs70ofOOK01yhHd1NVSuasYWXqq4nnjXAT2zNFgiIppBlloMv84ki_8ospLFkTeGRc90rN3ImJzgI0MuBaIP5woiDlKprMBJXhQAbDTg2nFZHz3mb8R5qVIKyfiq6RBaE50xBV2uNA49VdSNWzHSEOgsCCclp3YetCYgejkGhCu2i2peg0v0SFXbUZRkaki8S7Vu03xae-0rQ_6YsQBtJqXDX__8X0y-H6bv4CI_8EyMG-rjyak7PF=w771-h1028-no

No wings..

Black and orange banded Sexton Burying Beetle. http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/6337/black-and-orange-banded-sexton-burying-beetles/

At least according to google images.

Oh, and the wings are hidden/ folded away.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Jayses...

says about dead bodies...

No dead bodies in our bath .. honest !!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

image.png

Found in county Limerick. My 7 year old son thinks the bug might be poisonous because of the red dot on its back, not sure what he heard or where.

What might this bug be?

That's a shieldbug (also known as stinkbug for a very valid reason). It's probably a native one, but if you can PUT IT IN A LITTLE JAR AND STICK IT IN THE FREEZER, AND NOTIFY BIODIVERSITY IRELAND IMMEDIATELY. There's a very good chance that it could be HALYOMORPHA HALYS or Brown Marmorated Shieldbug, a highly invasive Asian shieldbug that's created absolute mayhem both in Anerica and in Southern Europe, where it's wiped out close to 80% of the crops of soya and of fruit like peaches, nectarines, apricots, figs, pears, etc.

BTW, are the colours in the picture accurate? Is it actually purple? Because if it is, it's unlikely to be a halyomorpha halys. If it is purple, it's very unusual.

EDIT: If it's brown with an orangy-red dot on its back and orangy-red legs, it's probably a Forest Shieldbug, and I don't know if it's a navive species or not*).

https://atrampinthewoods.wordpress.com/2014/08/03/forest-shieldbug/

(*I'm just assuming you're in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

We did not catch the bug, only photographed it. But if I see it again I'll catch it if there might be an issue.

Of the two linked species, the forest shieldbug appears more likely. There is a very distinctive red dot on this bug's lower back, while the Halyomorpha Halys does not have a bright dot in that location on any images I could find. The forest shieldbug does have it.

Biodiversity Ireland does list the forest shieldbug https://species.biodiversityireland.ie/profile.php?taxonId=85495&keyword=Shieldbug%20Survey though this one has a dot that is green, not red, but the Latin name is the same. The map has yellow dots close enough.

That's good news - in that case, don't worry about catching it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

It's a shield bug of some sort. Quite a lot of them are unpalatable.

seagull wrote: »
    It's a shield bug of some sort. Quite a lot of them are unpalatable.

Whatever diet it is you're following, I don't think I'd like to try it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

New Home wrote: »
    Whatever diet it is you're following, I don't think I'd like to try it. :pac:

I'm going on what my entomology lecturer said. I've eaten a variety of creepy-crawlies down the years, but shield bugs were never on the menu.

Advertisement