Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comics for young kids (superhero/sci-fi)

• 06-08-2018 12:40pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get a few comics/collected volumes/graphic kids novels for my son at Christmas. He is very excited by the idea of reading a comic but most of the materials aimed at young children are in the form of early reader story books. He likes them but would really prefer a comic format. I've looked into the older books that I used to read as a kid but the pages are too dense for his current reading ability. Ideally I'm looking for books with the more modern layouts of large panels and larger print but with stories that are more kid friendly.

I know DC is planning the DC Zoom print aimed at young children and the first book, Batman Overdrive, might be available before Christmas. And I've read that Spidey is a good series for kids. Are there any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How about something like Tiny Titans?

Or The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is a very lighthearted comic. Though some stuff may be over his head.

What age is he?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

He'll be 6 at Christmas. He can read books aimed at kids a few years older but would obviously not understand all the jokes, subtext, etc. I found a couple of 90s X-men magazines that contained comic versions of early episodes of the 90s cartoon and that would be exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. A relatively straightforward story told in a comic medium with simple, child friendly artwork. I have loads of books with this sort of story but they are all in storybook format. It's pretty frustrating to not be able to find these stories in a comic book medium. He's so excited at the thought of having his own comics to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27905658-iron-man

Iron Man set in Ireland by the author of Artemis Fowl Eoin Colfer

It looks like a great book but I think it's a novel rather than a graphic novel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Maybe Marvel Adventures Iron Man by Fred Van Lente or Supergirl's Cosmic Adventures In The 8th Grade by Landry Q Walker would fit.

There's also Teen Titans Go!, if he likes the cartoon (which he should because it's gread :D), though it's more goofy fun than straight-up superheroics.

The other palce to look is The Phoenix - there are some great strips in there and a number of them have their own collections.

• Advertisement

TTG will be perfect. We have lots of the TTG story books but I didn't know they also had graphic novels. I'll get him the boxset of those. I'm hoping to be able to get the Imaginext TTG villian packs if they are released before Christmas, so they'll go well together. The Marvel kids annuals seem to be mainly comic book stories too, so they are also an option.

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Power Pack :D

51s8rxIShiL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51msVwn5aeL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You also have heroes based in Ireland from Irish publisher ButtonPress (Twitter/Facebook)

458425.jpg
    458426.jpg
    458427.jpg
    458428.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Hard to go wrong with alot of the earlier amazing Spiderman stuff. Get some of those collections. Simpler, and indeed better, stories and art, perfect for kids

I've ordered some great stuff. The TTG box set, a couple of Power Pack books and some of the Marvel Adventures/Universe series which is a Marvel universe designed for kids. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_(comics)

...is worth a look. Might also be available in digital format from your library?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SpencerCastillo

I also have a collection of stories to recommend. Hope it helps everyone.

Advertisement