Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Icons Issue 1 : Withdrawal Symptoms

• 09-10-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭

463335.png

Sovereign City!

The north-east's gleaming jewel of steel and glass on the Seycaloose Delta!
    From the towering peaks of the Heydanks to the concrete canyons of downtown, when the sun shines, the Sov reigns! And for decades that sun has indeed shone on the four-isled burgh - under the watchful eye of their peerless protector Apex this town has gone from strength to strength as crime took a back seat to progress and prosperity! Whether its the canny investors cleaning up on the Cabbage Patch or the Sovereign City Supremes slamming touchdowns in Clyburn park, the finest minds in Torisson-U and NeXus Labs pushing the boundaries of scientific achievement or the kids dancing the night away in Peccadillo's, pushing the boundaries of socially acceptable behaviour - this is a city in it's prime.

463337.png

At least it was.
    For all is not well on the Tetratoll - In recent weeks crime is on the up and the familiar red streaks in the sky and echoing sonic booms so familiar to her citizens as the signs of their city's protector have been noticeably absent. By day, gangs from the Skillet and nearby Lakeside brazenly lay claim to the streets, while the night rings with screams of pain, the snap of bones and rumours of something altogether more unsavoury refuting those claims. In but a few short weeks this town has moved from a city on the up to a city on the edge.

But these are concerns for city officials, for politicians, for leaders of industry - regular folks like yourselves have more pressing concerns. Will I lose my job if I miss the Cloop and have to walk to work? How am I paying for my mortgage or my next frapaccino from Big-Shots? Is my daughters new boyfriend a Neomutt supremecist? And so it is, with these ordinary matters in mind, that we set our scene.

Interior - Advice desk #3, First National Bank, Downtown.
    The assistant manager reviews the document one more time, clicking his tongue and glances up, a look of rehearsed pain on his face.

"Mr Heffernan, 1st National values your business, we always have, but you can see here for yourself - your insurance covers fire, theft, standard liabilities… but I'm afraid there's no provision for persecution by a gang of international vegan terrorists. The resultant damage will have to be paid for somehow, and knowing that these debts exist - not to mention the current state of your finances and income - the bank can't in good conscience risk renegotiating the terms of the mortgage on your farm to release equity you don't have. Indeed, at this rate, in a few months it won't be your farm. So I'm sure you appreciate the position that puts me in."

He pauses, open-palmed and waning smile, hoping this sweaty redneck will just go away.

Interior, Foyer ATM, First National Bank, Downtown
    Shelly Bridges waits in line. There are 3 customers ahead of her and one behind, but the other 5 ATMs seem equally busy so there's no immediate reason to move, except for the idiot at the head of the line who's been pressing those buttons so long he may well be trying to open an account.

Exterior, Muir St. Station, Muttonspire Island.
    Dr Hamilton checks his watch, then directs his charge to hurry towards the head of the platform.
    "Doon't worry lad, yerl be fine. Jusht shtay close to the last carriage and let it pull yuh along, yull be in doon-toon in nae taime!"
    The Cloop train begins to accelerate sharply out of the station headed waterward, commuter-crammed carriages flashing past the pair, the final one rapidly approaching.
    "An dinnae **** it up ur yer dead! Hahahahaha!"
    With a booming laugh he shoves Indigo Spirit into the track immediately behind that last carriage as it whips by.
    Please roll Awareness [d6+6] vs difficulty 3 [d6+3]!
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards.ie%20Icons

Interior, The Squirrelcopter - The skies over Summersisle
    The sun rises to it's Zenith, another glorious Sovereign City day. But crime doesn't take time out to go to the beach or fire up the barbecue, and so neither can Plasma Squirrel or Squiramorph. Morning patrol has been a little uneventful and lunchtime beckons, but an appetite needs to be earned - They push onwards north, away from the comforts and relative safety of affluent Suschere to where they're needed most.

Passing over Carter Hall, Squiramorph plays idly with the dials and flipswitches on the radio scanner, engaging and disengaging custom algorithms and decoders, when suddenly she picks up a garbled transmission. It's not clear, but they catch something about vans and the Panhandle. From their lofty position they can clearly see the Panhandle bridge stretching southwards from the Skillet to where it makes landfall in Summersisle's financial district, the Cabbage Patch, and sure enough there are 3 unmarked vans rapidly traversing, weaving wildly through traffic. Their destination is unclear, their intent unknown.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Banjo wrote: »

Interior, The Squirrelcopter - The skies over Summersisle
    The sun rises to it's Zenith, another glorious Sovereign City day. But crime doesn't take time out to go to the beach or fire up the barbecue, and so neither can Plasma Squirrel or Squiramorph. Morning patrol has been a little uneventful and lunchtime beckons, but an appetite needs to be earned - They push onwards north, away from the comforts and relative safety of affluent Suschere to where they're needed most.

Passing over Carter Hall, Squiramorph plays idly with the dials and flipswitches on the radio scanner, engaging and disengaging custom algorithms and decoders, when suddenly she picks up a garbled transmission. It's not clear, but they catch something about vans and the Panhandle. From their lofty position they can clearly see the Panhandle bridge stretching southwards from the Skillet to where it makes landfall in Summersisle's financial district, the Cabbage Patch, and sure enough there are 3 unmarked vans rapidly traversing, weaving wildly through traffic. Their destination is unclear, their intent unknown.

Squiramorph slides up her mask slightly and looks at her partner.

'Shrieking Cylons, Plasma Squirrel! You think we should check that out? At the very least they need a talking to about their driving!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I wait patiently in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Necrominus wrote:
    Squiramorph slides up her mask slightly and looks at her partner.

'Shrieking Cylons, Plasma Squirrel! You think we should check that out? At the very least they need a talking to about their driving!'

Plasma squirrel strokes his chin.

Indeed my squirly companion. Indeed. Increase speed and I'll swing us around alongside the bridge'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote: »
    Plasma squirrel strokes his chin.

Indeed my squirly companion. Indeed. Increase speed and I'll swing us around alongside the bridge'

'Increasing speed now, Plasma Squirrel - guide us to the bridge as you would a knife through hot butter.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The panhandle is a fairly plain, unadorned two-leafed bascule bridge, and bringing the Squirrel Copter in close is fairly straight forward. Plasma Squirrel lines them up with the center of the bridge just as the last of the 3 vans approaches. They get a very clear view of the passenger window - a young, bewaistcoated man with his red hair gelled up into a ludicrously tall quiff leans out the window, jeering at the traffic and mock-swinging a heavy candlestick. Loomies!

Can I get an Awareness roll from each of you?
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards.ie%20Icons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

...not to mention the current state of your finances and income - the bank can't in good conscience risk renegotiating the terms of the mortgage on your farm to release equity you don't have. Indeed, at this rate, in a few months it won't be your farm. So I'm sure you appreciate the position that puts me in."

He pauses, open-palmed and waning smile, hoping this sweaty redneck will just go away.

"Young man, I am not asking you to renegotiate the terms of my mortgage...

I am asking you for a LOAN... to seize business opportunity, to allow me to clear my balances and be rid of this damning cloud over my head...

Back in my day, people would still listen when someone had something to say... not feign an interest... not trying to wise-ass out of a conversation... But, actually LISTEN".

w11ia.jpg

"Before you criticize, walk a mile in my shoes..."

Mr. Heffernan stops pointing towards the young man and moves his finger onto the paperwork and taps it determinedly.

"Now, I would kindly like you to review the documentation that I have supplied...AGAIN... And dont give me the same spiel you have so far, as we will need to take it up a level and discuss it with your manager".

He reminds the assistant manager, what is in the pack.

"You have proof of collateral, established through independent financial adviser, you have the business plan, you have my business and personal financial details, my account receivables and payables are in order, with my financial statements audited and reviewed.

I have insurance backing, copies of past returns and exclusion agreements with your manager on missed payments.

Considering the overall worth of the plot, I'll allow a renegotiate on future rations to make the deal even sweeter for yourselves... but young man, if this goes above your head, please get someone more 'senior' to the desk and we can properly continue the conversation.".

Mr Heffernan shuffles back, sits back done, wraps one leg over the other and holds has hands on his knees awaiting a response from the 'assistant manager'.

(Awareness roll - Squiramorph Moderate Success, Plasma Squirrel moderate failure)

While Plasma Squirrel focuses on the marauding van and it's coiffured commuters, Squiramorph turns her attention to a faint, persistent clanging sound. That's when she notices that all the other cars have stopped and the bridge is raising. Her eyes go wide and she instinctively grabs the Collective, the Squirrelcopter climbing just in time to avoid the freighter passing below them. Loomie Van number 3 accelerates over the bascule leaf, jumping the gap and skidding slightly as it lands. By the time Plasma Squirrel re-asserts control, all 3 vans are careening off into stone straits of the Cabbage Patch, leaving the Secret Squirrels in their dust.

'Not to mind, Plasma Squirrel. We should head for the Cabbage Patch anyways, perhaps we can spot them again from there.

Or go home, crack open some walnuts, watch The Animals of Farthing Wood and call it a day?'

'Tempting SM.....but crime hasn't put it's feet up yet and neither will we.'

Plasma Squirrel turns in the direction the Vans were heading and indicates to SM to put the foot down (metaphorically).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Indigo spirit calms his mind as still as a winter lake in Kyoto, his hand almost moves by itself...

• Advertisement

'Full speed ahead, you got it!'

Squiramorph engages the throttle as Plasma Squirrel heads for the Cabbage Patch.

He reminds the assistant manager, what is in the pack.

"You have proof of collateral, established through independent financial adviser, you have the business plan, you have my business and personal financial details, my account receivables and payables are in order, with my financial statements audited and reviewed.

I have insurance backing, copies of past returns and exclusion agreements with your manager on missed payments.

Considering the overall worth of the plot, I'll allow a renegotiate on future rations to make the deal even sweeter for yourselves... but young man, if this goes above your head, please get someone more 'senior' to the desk and we can properly continue the conversation.".

Mr Heffernan shuffles back, sits back done, wraps one leg over the other and holds has hands on his knees awaiting a response from the 'assistant manager'.

"Sir, while I respect your opinion and concede that that was an excellent speech, I very much doubt we'll find anyone in this bank, or indeed the indian burial ground upon which it is built, who is more 'Senior' then yourself. Furthermore, these documents you have submitted... there's a newspaper clipping about a decades old mob thug, a receipt from NPC-World and a napkin that you've drawn some pictures of cattle in some quite frankly bizarre poses on. It doesn't really constitute a sound basis for a financial transaction.
    While your land might have been worth something once, ever since those zealots from WANC moved in the prices have plummeted - you're in negative equity, sir. And that is before you address the culling of your livestock or the environmental damage of all that blood leaking into the water table. I'm afraid I'm going to have to bid you good day."
    He stands, pushing Heffernan's papers back across the desk, proffering a limp handshake.

Fourier wrote: »
    Indigo spirit calms his mind as still as a winter lake in Kyoto, his hand almost moves by itself...

7 vs 3 - Major success

As he falls, Indigo Spirit sublimes, being pulled along by the C-Loop, station by station along the counter-clock track, out over the river and across Munroe. At each stop he solidifies trackside, runs to the opposite end of the track and rejoins the train as it accelerates on to it's next destination. It's about 4 stops, at Liberty Way station, when the driver finally notices him and calls a conductor.

He's standing at the edge on an elevated platform, there's railing protecting a 30 foot drop-off down to street level behind him and a burly conductor is approaching from the front. The train is making no move to leave the station while he's standing there. Other passengers are beginning to back away leaving him with nothing but a bench, a bin and a vending machine for company.

Necrominus wrote: »
    'Full speed ahead, you got it!'

Squiramorph engages the throttle as Plasma Squirrel heads for the Cabbage Patch.

Despite the fact that they seem to be changing who's in the driving seat quite regularly, the kinetic couple make swift progress after the vans, seeing them split as 2 of them head into an underground parking garage and the 3rd drives up the steps and through the front door of the 1st National Bank.

sKeith wrote: »
    I wait patiently in the queue.

That guy is still pressing buttons. What on earth could he be do-JESUS CHRIST! There's an almighty clatter
    Roll CoOrdination vs Difficulty 4[d6+4]

'Crumbs and Acorns! What's the plan here Plasma?'

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

"Sir, while I respect your opinion and concede that that was an excellent speech, I very much doubt we'll find anyone in this bank, or indeed the indian burial ground upon which it is built, who is more 'Senior' then yourself. Furthermore, these documents you have submitted... there's a newspaper clipping about a decades old mob thug, a receipt from NPC-World and a napkin that you've drawn some pictures of cattle in some quite frankly bizarre poses on. It doesn't really constitute a sound basis for a financial transaction.
    While your land might have been worth something once, ever since those zealots from WANC moved in the prices have plummeted - you're in negative equity, sir. And that is before you address the culling of your livestock or the environmental damage of all that blood leaking into the water table. I'm afraid I'm going to have to bid you good day."
    He stands, pushing Heffernan's papers back across the desk, proffering a limp handshake.

Mr. Heffernan looks taken aback by ludicrous statements made by the assistance manager.

He pulls himself upright, standing across from the young gentleman. He scratches his head, seemingly confused, rubs his belly and belts out some laughter.

dDJh8CT.png

"You youngsters have a strange sense of humor... but I suppose this is what they call, building rapport, these days...".

"I assure you sir, all the paperwork is in order...".

Mr Heffernan points towards the specific documents and draws the attention of the Assistant Manager as he walks through the list again.

Banjo wrote:
    Despite the fact that they seem to be changing who's in the driving seat quite regularly, the kinetic couple make swift progress after the vans, seeing them split as 2 of them head into an underground parking garage and the 3rd drives up the steps and through the front door of the 1st National Bank.

OOC; PS steers, SM controls throttle.

Banjo wrote:

Plasma Squirrel jumps from the Squirrelcopter and sets the autopilot to bring SM to the bank. Before departing he shares some inspirational words with his diminutive sidekick...

'lets show them what the secret squirrels can do pal; you take the guy in the bank, but play it safe and call me if you need any help''

Plasma squirrel runs into the underground car park after the 2 vans.

OOC; PS steers, SM controls throttle.

That's not how a helicopter works. In simple terms, the cyclic points you in a direction and the collective affects lift. You *can* achieve additional acceleration using the collective while tilting the blades to move forwards but there would also be an increase in elevation. And yes, I did just find this out when I googled what to call the stick a few posts ago :D

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote:
    That's not how a helicopter works. In simple terms, the cyclic points you in a direction and the collective affects lift. You *can* achieve additional acceleration using the collective while tilting the blades to move forwards but there would also be an increase in elevation. And yes, I did just find this out when I googled what to call the stick a few posts ago

OOC; she controls our acorn afterburner? Does that work? Otherwise ok I'll just fly the thing.

That guy is still pressing buttons. What on earth could he be do-JESUS CHRIST! There's an almighty clatter
    Roll CoOrdination vs Difficulty 4[d6+4]

Roll 3vs7, -4 - Major Failure
    Shelly is thrown prone by a press of bodies and winded as the van piles through the foyer. As she struggles to regain her breath, the van disgorges it's oddly-dressed occupants and something big gets out of the back. By the time she's ready to get up, the gang are inside, the inner door closed behind them, with 2 thugs left in the foyer as guards. They gesture at any standing customers with their over-sized candelabra, bellowing at them to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Shelly stays prone.

"You youngsters have a strange sense of humor... but I suppose this is what they call, building rapport, these days...".

"I assure you sir, all the paperwork is in order...".

Mr Heffernan points towards the specific documents and draws the attention of the Assistant Manager as he walks through the list again.

"Mr Heffernan I don't see the point in..."
    The assistant manger stops as his sight blurs a little.
    "....but I suppose i can't hurt to...no, this is nonsense, I can't accept... although this insurance report does look quite convincing now that I..."

He waivers back and forth - a sudden crash and a series of screams snaps him out of it. The door bursts open and a bunch of identically dressed goons in tattered waistcoats, their hair teased up into flame-like licks burst in, screaming at everyone to get on the ground. Some of them wave ridiculously oversized candlesticks threateningly, others just point clenched, gauntleted fists. Behind them, a huge mass plods in, rumbling that everyone needs to be cool, and calmly barring the door behind him.
    3421961-batmanarkhamcity-clayface.jpg

The assistant manager drops Mr Heffernan's documents and slowly slides underneath Advice Desk #3 while the gang begin rounding up customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

He's standing at the edge on an elevated platform, there's railing protecting a 30 foot drop-off down to street level behind him and a burly conductor is approaching from the front. The train is making no move to leave the station while he's standing there. Other passengers are beginning to back away leaving him with nothing but a bench, a bin and a vending machine for company.
    Indigo Spirit remains where he is and gives a friendly smile to the conductor.

"Sorry Sir, I realise I might have frightened the passengers. Just a new hero trying out my powers, won't happen again"

Plasma Squirrel jumps from the Squirrelcopter and sets the autopilot to bring SM to the bank. Before departing he shares some inspirational words with his diminutive sidekick...

'lets show them what the secret squirrels can do pal; you take the guy in the bank, but play it safe and call me if you need any help''

Plas has plenty of time to set the autopilot and consider the wisdom of his hasty exit on his way to the ground.

you can take the damage or roll Strength Vs a difficulty of 4

OOC: Roll please

Rolled a 7

Fourier wrote: »
    Indigo Spirit remains where he is and gives a friendly smile to the conductor.

"Sorry Sir, I realise I might have frightened the passengers. Just a new hero trying out my powers, won't happen again"

"SIR??"
    She looks down at her dowdy, shapeless uniform, reflecting on the dowdy, shapeless mass it hides and rubs her sandpapery chin sadly.

"Well...uh....you see that it doesn't!"

From a short distance to the north comes a crash and the sound of an alarm.

"No wait! See that it does, boy, see that it does!"
    She turns away and starts muttering into her radio

with your willpower there's no point in even asking you to roll to convince or charm her, her roll was terrible, unless the die cracks in half you can't lose

Squiramorph hits in a few adjustments to the co-ordinates for the auto-pilot and lands on the roof of the bank. As the rotary blades slow down to a stop, she exits the Squirrelcopter, stretches and begins to transform...

'Form of a Mouse!'

Whilst doing so she looks for any gutters around the place that lead to the street.

• Advertisement

OOC: Roll please

Rolled a 7

No you didn't, you rolled 4+7=11 Vs 6 is a massive success.
    So you get the landing

Advertisement