Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nintendo-Labo.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

GameXplain speculated earlier that this was what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Build your own peripherals. That was unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That was.....surprisingly kinda neat. A lot will depend on how sturdy the cardboard is but wow...there looked like quite a few innovative ways of using the system in that video. The whole build-it-yourself part of it is kinda cool too, kids and parents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Ew358S6.jpg

Nintendo never forgets an idea right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well Nintendo,
    It's official.
    They are amazing.

My gods.

Sony make massive waves with their Tearaway game on the Vita, and rightly so, it's amazing, the cardboard tech contained within.

Nintendo just take it and flip it, with the software cardboard folding becoming real world crafting with card, string and colouring in.

Just wow.

Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The pricing is pretty expensive so will be interesting to see the take up and marketing of it. I guess the other thing is how do you stop companies making other cardboard things for joy-cons etc. The idea is pretty neat though and very Nintendo-like.

I think the announcing of it and it being very separate from the 'games' is a good idea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Corholio wrote:
    The pricing is pretty expensive

What???
    It's bloody cardboard :confused:
    Honestly kids barely have interest in toys now so I'm a bit confused by it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There has never been a more Nintendo thing. It is a corporation run by brilliant lunatics, and who the **** knows how it will go. It doesn’t feel like this will be anything other than an absolute disaster or a runaway success.

Never change, Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wonder will there be some special bundle with the paper inspired Yoshi game coming out.

There is a game included with the cardboard stuff, it should be said. Although full RRP is a little much, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So...is this what happened to "Project Giant Robot"?

Its an interesting idea, combining arts&crafts with games.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I wonder will there be some special bundle with the paper inspired Yoshi game coming out.

So what...kinda like "build a bear" but its "build an Amiibo" OH **** I WANT THIS AS A THING NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

Ahh here - that Piano and my daughter and an evening of deadly fun......

Sold.

Nintendo sometimes take big damn chances, that's why we keep coming back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Seems very dear for what it is. The switch itselfis still a price drop or two away from being kid friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

DTxlwpXVMAAAR-q.jpg:large

Thats kinda steep. But honestly, the more I think, the more I love the concept, Nintendo are the kings of left field. I'd probably buy the cheaper one and give it a try just for the hell of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This is a great idea, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not for me but it's not supposed to be for me. My nephew will absolutely love it and Nintendo are going to have another big hit on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

wow ... well that was left field... but that's what Nintendo does best...
    Kinda childlike wonder only they can bring out in us...

Not sure about the first few bits they selling will take off but liked the idea of merging piano with game or thats robot or motorbike wheel. Well cool. Suppose it's a safe risk ... If it doesn't take off, switches is selling a ton.If it does cud they make Amiibo levels of extra $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Also noticed, it says "Toy-Con" on the boxes. Variety pack is Toy-Con 01 and Robot Toy-Con 02.....someone was probably made a vice president for coming up with that name.

:EDIT: Dear god people are fast.....

8psJ5Jv.jpg

Heres a list of what each set contains
    Variety set
    Cardboard sheet x 28 (includes extra sheet for customization)
    Reflective sticker sheet x 3
    Sponge sheet x 3
    String (orange) x 1
    String (blue) x 1
    Eyelet set (gray) x 1
    Eyelet set (blue) x 1
    Rubber band (large) x 2 + spares
    Rubber band (small) x 6 + spares
    Robot set
    Cardboard sheet x 19
    Cardstock sheets x 4
    Reflective sticker sheet x 1
    Orange string x 2
    Blue string x 2
    Gray canvas straps (large) x 1
    Gray canvas straps (medium) x 1
    Gray canvas straps (small) x 2
    Eyelet set (gray) x 10
    Eyelet set (orange) x 2

From here and here

Actually quite a bit of material in each pack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

My first thought is are they taking the piss charging 70 and 80 quid for some cardboard and an app/game to play motion controlled crap.
    Second thought is what happens when your expensive cardboard creation gets squashed? Now and again my eldest two have great fun building box forts or whatever out of cardboard - but the interest disappears after a few days and out it goes in the recycle bin to reclaim space. Right now I don't see the value in dropping that kind of money on something that won't last long (but maybe I'm missing something here).

Anyway, fair play for them trying something new but I really hope it doesn't distract them from more important things like the subscription service, VC, cloud saves, more big games for this year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Also not for me but it's I'm not their target audience for this. Unless the games that come included with the cardboard is a fully fleshed out game and not some small gimmicky app that gets ignored after 5 minutes, that price is way to dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/hands_on_the_future_of_gaming_is_cardboard_thanks_to_nintendo_labo

Article here gives a little bit more with a Hands on.... I really think I'm gonna try this one out - the idea that the little bug has a camera through the IR is just nuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Five minutes after launch: YouTube video: 'How to make a Labo Dildo'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hahaha!
    Brilliant. Bananas but brilliant.
    On the down side, will have to start bringing shopping bags to Aldi cause of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That stuff is structural cardboard by the look of it t, and surprisingly strong.

Labo has its closest equal in the Google Cardboard project, I would surmise.

I like that the serious components are already in the hands of the end users, the software and the materials for crafting are the product being sold.

If they open the thing up to customers we could see a Mario Maker type dev kit, with people encouraged to make the physical stuff to suit their own needs and goals.
    And that has all sorts of implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think it's safe to say that no one saw this coming.
    Very interested to see how it'll do

Want to play Tearaway again....
    Damn, that was a great game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I think it's genius, and can't *wait* to show my kids the video tomorrow, they'll be utterly enthralled.

The Nintendo R+D department must be a fairly joyous place to work these days 8)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Played the trial on Vita thinking I had the whole game through Plus.

Anyway, was just thinking, how long until that VR type setup is rejigged to be used on something like Doom?

Advertisement