Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible virus on phone

Options
  • 04-04-2015 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi Guys I need some help please. One of my kids managed to get hold of my phone and was watching videos on YouTube last night. This morning I saw 3 text messages and the looked strange so I Googled the phone number they came in (50071) and found something saying it could be a virus.

I have done a factory reset but am scared of even switching the phone back on. I have no idea if the phone has been compromised and I don't know if the factory reset is enough (clueless about this). It is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Chances are that your kid tapped an ad in an app and subscribed you to something or other. Always turn off data and Wifi before giving the phone to a child that way you avoid this.

What were the messages about ?

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Governess

ZENER wrote: »
    Chances are that your kid tapped an ad in an app and subscribed you to something or other. Always turn off data and Wifi before giving the phone to a child that way you avoid this.

What were the messages about ?

Ken

Hiya, they are not allowed to use my phone but one of them had memorised my password to unlock the phone. The messages didn't have any links nor was there mention of subscribing to anything, I can't remember what they read.

I have done a factory reset on the handset and will change the sim as I am on pay as you go as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Download Malware bytes App from Playstore and do a scan, it'll put your mind at rest

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

hey Governess sorry hope you don't mind but I have a similar problem going on today with my phone.

I am clueless when it comes to viruses or anything like that so some advice would be great. I have a basic Samsung android and today every time I go to go into a internet page the following comes up:

"security warning: there are problems with the security certificate for this site"

when I click on view certificate:

"this certificate isn't from a trusted authority" and some more information "issued to", "serial number" etc.

When I go into Google chrome and try to do a search the following pops up:

'cannot connect to the real www.google.ie"

its says 'something is currently interfering with your secure connection to www.google.ie"

some more stuff about reloading wifi in a few minutes. it also says that if I was to go into google that I might be sharing information with an 'attacker' and that chrome will not load the page until it can establish a secure connection to the real www.google.ie.

Anyone any idea what is going here? it sounds like its to do with my connection rather than just my phone!

Advertisement