Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oats / Porridge / Soaked or not soaked

• 24-11-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

I have porridge every morning. I just put the oats in a bowl and add hot water, give it a mix and add maple syrup or whatever then.

Is this an unhealthy way to eat it? I've googled this and get mixed results. Is there a reason why people soak the oats other than for taste? Some say soaking the removes the bad side affects but what are they?I now prefer the way I eat them and don't like the mushy paste of cooked porridge as much.

Just don't know if I am doing damage or not. I don;' feel like I am so what's the deal with the soakage!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Porridge oats are already cooked.
    Enjoy your porridge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Soaking is a mix of texture and speeding up cooking time. Looks like you don't need either, so rock on!

(I however like porridge cooked soft in milk, so where I remember to soak, I do, otherwise I stir stir stir)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

I have porridge every morning. I just put the oats in a bowl and add hot water, give it a mix and add maple syrup or whatever then.

That's a very strange way to prepare porridge, I'd say. Can't be good for the digestion?
    Normally porridge is cooked in a saucepan, brought to the boil, let it simmer for a minute then take it off the hob and let it stand for a few minutes? That's how I did it a few hours ago.

Here's how Jamie does it:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is this an unhealthy way to eat it? I've googled this and get mixed results. Is there a reason why people soak the oats other than for taste? Some say soaking the removes the bad side affects but what are they?I now prefer the way I eat them and don't like the mushy paste of cooked porridge as much.

Just don't know if I am doing damage or not. I don;' feel like I am so what's the deal with the soakage!!

That is fine. I often add a handful of oats to cereal with cold milk for a varied texture. Never heard of side effects from porridge. You like this as I do so carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Milk.
    Microwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rodin wrote: »
    Milk.
    Microwave.

That's how I do it also.
    Just add lots of toppings after.

I know people who boil the hell out of it, then let it cool and eat it.
    It's more like wallpaper paste then!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,911 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Soak it overnight, microwave in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One part porridge, two parts water, two and a half minutes in the microwave, add a little milk to cool and eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Porridge oats are already cooked.
    <snip>

Realy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Porridge is a slow release sugar food, if you just add water hot or cold to dry flakes and eat, it becomes an even slower release, so the effect lasts longer, ideal for a long cycle/run afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tangy wrote: »
    Realy?

Yes, steam cooked as far as I know.

Meusli is usually packed with porridge oats.

Personal variations on a theme.... always good to see. ;) Does anyone use pinhead oatmeal? Or barley flakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes rolled oats are steam cooked and the difference between the 'instant' type ones and ordinary ones is how much they are cooked. The instant ones are steamed longer and I think rolled even flatter so they are instant.

Saw a recent episode of Inside the Factory with Greg Wallace which covered the production of porridge oats :) Very interesting it was too!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Rodin wrote: »
    Milk.
    Microwave.

Soak in milk overnight, microwave, add blueberries & honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Thanks All. So looks like I'm doing no damage by just eating them as I do. I started this way as one day in work, the microwave was broken and it just stuck. I figured it's surely healthier not to to microwave my food and then got used to the taste... much chewier and nicer I think!

I still don't get the soaking part.... all that effort to save a minute in cooking time? Surely the taste isn't that much different. Nice idea to put more effort into your food though I suppose and when I'm retired, I shall soak porridge oats in my country kitchen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't cook them at all don't like the smell or texture.
    Porridge oats, handful of cheerios, cold milk, natural yogurt, bit of honey job done. (If I'm feeling fancy I might even put a bit of fruit in)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Same as that,Soak overnight in milk and yogurt, Then in the morning add Banana,granola, blueberries. I never cook it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Graces7 wrote: »
    Personal variations on a theme.... always good to see. ;) Does anyone use pinhead oatmeal? Or barley flakes?

I use the pinhead oats, but I cook them in my pressure cooker in the morning. I can make them as nutty and chewy as I like or slightly softer but they are quick and easy that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Yes, steam cooked as far as I know.

Meusli is usually packed with porridge oats.
    phormium wrote: »
    Yes rolled oats are steam cooked and the difference between the 'instant' type ones and ordinary ones is how much they are cooked. The instant ones are steamed longer and I think rolled even flatter so they are instant.

Saw a recent episode of Inside the Factory with Greg Wallace which covered the production of porridge oats :) Very interesting it was too!

Thanks both. Live and learn I just thought rolled oats were - well - rolled :o

twignme wrote: »
    I use the pinhead oats, but I cook them in my pressure cooker in the morning. I can make them as nutty and chewy as I like or slightly softer but they are quick and easy that way.

Or leave them to soak overnight... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Or leave them to soak overnight... ;)

I don’t know what I want for breakfast until I get up in the morning :)
    And even if I did know and soaked them, I would still have to spend time standing there stirring away for more time than I have to spare. Pinhead oats aren’t a quick fix, soaked or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,911 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On the subject of oats, is there any difference in quality in them?

There is a massive difference in price between say the cheapo Lidl ones, and organic ones.

Its not like they are a food with great taste.

I always try go for the organic rolled or jumbo ones. I figure it's better to avoid the chemicals and the rolled ones are usually the jumbo ones and I think taste better the way I eat them raw with boiling water over then. The smaller 'milled' type ones don't taste as nice raw.

Tesco due a really cheap bag of organic ones actually and the Kavanaghs in Aldi are cheap enough too.

twignme wrote: »
    I don’t know what I want for breakfast until I get up in the morning :)
    And even if I did know and soaked them, I would still have to spend time standing there stirring away for more time than I have to spare. Pinhead oats aren’t a quick fix, soaked or not.

Oh ok. The thought of a pressure cooker early even if I had one! :eek:

each to their own.. lol

NB they microwave fast and well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,294 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I often use pinhead oatmeal. I cook them overnight in a slow cooker on a very low heat... absolutely delicious.

Here's a couple of recipes:
    https://www.intelligenteating.org/healthy-diet-recipes/slow-cooker-porridge

https://food52.com/recipes/3062-overnight-steel-cut-oats-with-almond-butter-honey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Tesco due a really cheap bag of organic ones actually and the Kavanaghs in Aldi are cheap enough too.

I tried the Tesco Organic ones, but no matter how long I microwaved them for, they would not fully soften. Maybe cooking them over the hob would help, but a microwave is all I have in work.

Flahavan's Organic Jumbo Oats for me, one of the more expensive at €2.75 a kg, but I get approx 20 portions out of that, so 14c for a meal is still pretty cheap! And no other oats get as creamy IMO. I soak them for 20 mins or so while catching up on e-mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

I buy the cheap Dunnes bags for using to make brown bread but if I want oats to actually eat as porridge I pick one of the better quality ones, when you have both beside each other you can see the cheap ones have a lot of smaller pieces and more dust for want of a better description. Doesn't really matter in the bread when mixed with brown flour but big difference texture wise for straightforward eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I tried the Tesco Organic ones, but no matter how long I microwaved them for, they would not fully soften. Maybe cooking them over the hob would help, but a microwave is all I have in work.

I find this too but I LOVE the chunkier texture - it's unlike most of the other jumbo oats imo. I'm weird, I know :o

I like the chunkier chewy texture too. You should all try my no cook method! Just pour the almost boiling water over the oats and stir it in and let it soak in for a minute. Doesn't look as nice and creamy but once you top with something it looks well and tastes better.
    I find the small dusty oats don't taste anywhere as near as nice as they big jumbo ones though as they are designed for cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My microwave is ancient so have had to change from a quick 4 minute zap to 2 minutes, then leave for 5 minutes, stir well and then zap again for another 2 minutes. This works best for me at the moment. Mix porridge with a teaspoon of honey and a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed and I have it with a cup of warm water for brekkie.

Advertisement