Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polar Bears.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Frida Rancid Peach

I've met Susan: I'll say no more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here, breitbart as a source of news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Frida Rancid Peach

ah here, breitbart as a source of news?

She has blogged it and sent it to other media incl the Washington Post. But it is typical breibart for sure. I don't know why people read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Crockford? How appropriate a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'm surprised that the left in the part about the "sea ice declining dramatically " I don't understand why people are so against anything that can improve are planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Numbers assessed by the WWF seem to agree with the Breitbart article.
    1 population declining, two increasing, and seven are stable.
    Despite this, they still insist that "bear populations are projected to decline by 30% by 2050".
    It just doesn't add up, except as propaganda.
    Or if you prefer, the stats do not support the conclusion.

https://arcticwwf.org/species/polar-bear/population/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the graphic in the link there shows four populations declining?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've read Dr. Crockford's book (The Polar Bear Catastrophe That Never Happened) and it presents her viewpoints well on the status of polar bear populations. As well it showed the hostility it engendered within other elements of the scientientic body which held contrary views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

the graphic in the link there shows four populations declining?
    I'm quoting from the text below the graphic. I agree the two are not entirely consistent. Maybe a very marginal decline as classed as being stable?
    You can never entirely trust statistics. Which is perhaps the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Polar bears are doing ok compared to many other top predators - it suits those who seem to think all the worlds ills are somehow down to "climate change" to use Polar Bears as a poster child for their own agendas . More focus is needed on the here and now in terms of threats to iconic wildlife

https://news.mongabay.com/2019/10/how-laos-lost-its-tigers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

marlin vs wrote: »

Breitbart is a far right news agency. Environmental news not high on their agenda........

Advertisement