Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running issues specific to women

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Seesee wrote: »
    There's just one section of the canal I run from broombridge towards Phibsboro and I am little bit wary of it - I used to run it early on a weekday or weekend morning but now I tend to avoid it - nothing happened just that I felt quite isolated. But even my local park can be very quiet sometimes. I think it's good to be aware but it's sad when we don't run somewhere or feel we can't because of possible attack.

I used to run on one part along the Barrow and like you nothing happened but I tend to avoid it now just in case it is very sad that we always have to be aware just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunriserun

Thanks so much for all your replies 😊 good to know I’m not alone!! I think the message is be aware but not afraid. It’s great to have a thread to chat these things through in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sunriserun wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your replies �� good to know I’m not alone!! I think the message is be aware but not afraid. It’s great to have a thread to chat these things through in!!

I wear earphones during the day but if running in the dark at night or very early morning I wouldn’t just to be more aware. I don’t feel unsafe but wouldn’t run very late at night. I did a very early run one Sunday this Winter and there was a bunch of messers coming home from the pub and I dodged down a side road to loop around them. I probably feel slightly more uncomfortable in the early mornings than the evenings though I tell myself there’s probably less likely to be lunatics around in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Thanks so much for all your replies �� good to know I’m not alone!! I think the message is be aware but not afraid. It’s great to have a thread to chat these things through in!!

I do feel once you feel afraid and stop going places you've let them win. I hate doing that. But sometimes you just have to stay safe and not take unnecessary risks.

btw people say men never have to think this way but a sensible man will also bear this kind of thing in mind especially in the city and not put themselves in danger - just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks for starting the thread great idea !!

Huzzah just cost me a fortune , I bought the book , then bought it for two friends ,then went and bought any supplement she mentioned .

Rant 1: I’m 43 and my cycles are kind of regular with the odd extra one thrown in - I used to be able to tell when I would run well - but not now it’s all over the place - especially since becoming hypothyroid . If I’m unlucky and I race at the wrong time it’s very unpleasant. I have been talking about this to other women for years . I have been called obsessive , and over thinking it , and making excuses . All of which can be true mind but I’m glad now others are talking about it .

Rant 2: I can never get shorts . Seriously I’m not comfortable wearing 3 inch shorts or tight Lycra ones. I need coverage I have hips and ample thighs - Every year I spend weeks on the internet and In running shops trying to find the “ pair” sigh . Have tried decathlon- they are good but a pair doesn’t last me until I get back there again.
    My favorite pair of adidas died this year after about 12 years .This year I found a decent pair of ronhill shorts 2/1 in the run hub and a pair of mizanos. Both with big pockets . They were not cheap .

It bothers me they make men’s shorts long and short . It bothers that I Am told I should feel comfortable in short shorts no matter what my size . I just want longer shorts - men don’t have to feel comfortable in short shorts they just buy long ones .

I’m running along time ,when I started most women who ran were athletic with runners bodies - I was a beginner and terrified of lycra. I wore like full on tracksuit bottoms until about 6 years ago until the active wear trend took hold.

Now even my jeans look like running bottoms cause I like the look .

Rant 3: There is a beautiful scenic route that gives me a lovely ten miles from my house . I can’t run it by myself as a woman. Annoying - but when you read stuff about American running leggings having pockets on the shins to pack “heat” I think we are good here!!

Sorry .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the thread great idea !!

Rant 2: I can never get shorts . Seriously I’m not comfortable wearing 3 inch shorts or tight Lycra ones. I need coverage I have hips and ample thighs - Every year I spend weeks on the internet and In running shops trying to find the “ pair” sigh . Have tried decathlon- they are good but a pair doesn’t last me until I get back there again.
    My favorite pair of adidas died this year after about 12 years .This year I found a decent pair of ronhill shorts 2/1 in the run hub and a pair of mizanos. Both with big pockets . They were not cheap .

It bothers me they make men’s shorts long and short . It bothers that I Am told I should feel comfortable in short shorts no matter what my size . I just want longer shorts - men don’t have to feel comfortable in short shorts they just buy long ones .

I’m running along time ,when I started most women who ran were athletic with runners bodies - I was a beginner and terrified of lycra. I wore like full on tracksuit bottoms until about 6 years ago until the active wear trend took hold.

Now even my jeans look like running bottoms cause I like the look .

You probably have lovely long legs and that’s why you find shorts so short. My legs are hilariously short - I’ve seen photos of myself standing beside friends wearing the exact same shorts as mine, and they look cool and athletic and I look like I’m wearing 19th C pantaloons nearly down to my knees!

I never used to wear the short Lycra ones, but then I started wearing them for Pilates, as you can’t wear loose shorts when you’re waving your legs in the air, and then our club got official tight Lycra shorts, and I’ve gradually just become more relaxed about wearing them. They make me feel faster on the start line (all in my head!)

Of course you should be able to find shorts you like, though. Sorry the selection is so poor! Decathlon do various lengths, I think, and you can order online. Oiselle do as well (but pricey, see upthread)
    One of my friends once got Nike basketball shorts when she was looking for green ones, and they were quite long. Worth a try?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    You probably have lovely long legs and that’s why you find shorts so short. My legs are hilariously short - I’ve seen photos of myself standing beside friends wearing the exact same shorts as mine, and they look cool and athletic and I look like I’m wearing 19th C pantaloons nearly down to my knees!

I never used to wear the short Lycra ones, but then I started wearing them for Pilates, as you can’t wear loose shorts when you’re waving your legs in the air, and then our club got official tight Lycra shorts, and I’ve gradually just become more relaxed about wearing them. They make me feel faster on the start line (all in my head!)

Of course you should be able to find shorts you like, though. Sorry the selection is so poor! Decathlon do various lengths, I think, and you can order online. Oiselle do as well (but pricey, see upthread)
    One of my friends once got Nike basketball shorts when she was looking for green ones, and they were quite long. Worth a try?

Thanks I’ll be back in decathlon shortly so will check out ! I wish I had long legs - I have short legs -29 inches on a 5”6” body ! A long body but short legs - and big thighs . Think Beyoncé only less muscled - we have the exact same thigh width! I looked on Oiselle previously but they still looked too short - I tend to wear tight Lycra ones with gym shorts over . Basketball shorts are too long . Brooks chaser 5 inch were good - but stopped shipping to Europe .

Beyoncé fabulous thighs aside I’m still a size 10/12 pear so can get nice gear to fit . Shocking range of clothing-even if your even a tiny bit bigger - our club vests are the most unflattering yokes ever - they need to be designed for the new club runner - the middle aged woman !!

God - I’m still ranting . But we are a huge market here . We need running gear and it doesn’t need to be pink !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Adidas used to do 6" shorts and I had a few pairs of them over the years and they where great. Everything else too short. I don't think it is women who design women's running shorts...

I usually go up a size when I'm buying shorts in the hope of getting an extra half an inch out of them. :)
    More mile do dirt cheap shorts, I have some 'unisex' pairs that I've had about 10 years which are great (decent length too) and then newer women's ones (too short) but also have a pair of their compression ones. They're grand.
    https://moremile.co.uk/ladies/clothing/shorts.html?p=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunriserun

I also struggle to find comfortable shorts. There’s a serious gap in the market here ladies if any of ye are entrepreneurial!!
    Also I was just wondering has anyone ever tried a training plan geared towards women? Or had a coach who took the fact you were female into account when assigning training? I have mainly just used bog standard ones from books when using a plan. It’s the area of speedwork that I feel puts me close to the edge injury wise. This could be a personal rather than a gender thing though!!
    PS I also have really short legs.... is this a runner thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

+1 on the Shock Absorber ultimate run bra. I normally keep an eye on Wiggle and get a few of the odd colours when they're on sale.

If you prefer the black or white though, 53 Degrees North are currently selling them at half price (€27.50). Lots of sizes available when I was in there yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I also struggle to find comfortable shorts. There’s a serious gap in the market here ladies if any of ye are entrepreneurial!!
    Also I was just wondering has anyone ever tried a training plan geared towards women? Or had a coach who took the fact you were female into account when assigning training? I have mainly just used bog standard ones from books when using a plan. It’s the area of speedwork that I feel puts me close to the edge injury wise. This could be a personal rather than a gender thing though!!
    PS I also have really short legs.... is this a runner thing??

Short legs here as well! 5'5" and can wear short leg jeans in quite a few brands.

Has anybody tried the supplement mentioned in the “Roar” book - Beta Alanine? I have did a little research on it and it seems legit but was wondering if anyone has used it in real life? Also wondering does anybody use preworkout stuff -dr. Stacy also mentions a track stack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Great thread! I wear EVB shorts (Irish made) and usually with just a liner so no underwear. They're on the expensive side but regularly have sales or discount codes online.

julyjane wrote: »
    Great thread! I wear EVB shorts (Irish made) and usually with just a liner so no underwear. They're on the expensive side but regularly have sales or discount codes online.

They are brilliant shorts. I have two pairs of them but don’t wear them much any more. I used wear them for marathons though and never a problem with them.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    They are brilliant shorts. I have two pairs of them but don’t wear them much any more. I used wear them for marathons though and never a problem with them.

I bought a pair during last marathon but never worth the effort to put on -way to tight . I don’t have pelvic floor issues thankfully so didn’t need them really . I have friends who swear my them and couldn’t physically run without them .

I bought a pair during last marathon but never worth the effort to put on -way to tight . I don’t have pelvic floor issues thankfully so didn’t need them really . I have friends who swear my them and couldn’t physically run without them .

My main reason for wearing them was the fact you didn’t need underwear with them so no chaffing issues!!

I've heard good things about the EVB shorts too. Like Bluesquare, I'm lucky enough not to need them.

Just to add, though, if people have pelvic floor issues, I'd recommend seeing a women's health physio before / as well as special shorts etc.

If you're in Dublin this place in brilliant:

https://milltownphysiotherapy.com/

My main reason for wearing them was the fact you didn’t need underwear with them so no chaffing issues!!

The chaffing thing baffles me - I have rather large thighs - but never chaff . ( I did once - after twenty mile in torrential rain) My friend who has really slim legs does always ! It must be related to gait? I do chaff under the chest a little .

Those decathlon shorts arrived in the post today. Short enough legs here so they fit nicely and have pocket and good value so thanks!

julyjane wrote: »

I just got a pair was planning to use for longer runs when extra support helpful. No pockets though. I’ve also gotten a referral to milltown but haven’t taken it further yet as it’s a bit of a trek for me. How many sessions might be needed. I don’t have a big problem just need advise really on how to do exercises more effectively.

• Advertisement

The chaffing thing baffles me - I have rather large thighs - but never chaff . ( I did once - after twenty mile in torrential rain) My friend who has really slim legs does always ! It must be related to gait? I do chaff under the chest a little .

I don’t know what it is. I chaff very easily - under my right arm too and often from underwear as well between my legs if I don’t wear cycling shorts type shorts/skirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Has anybody tried the supplement mentioned in the “Roar” book - Beta Alanine? I have did a little research on it and it seems legit but was wondering if anyone has used it in real life? Also wondering does anybody use preworkout stuff -dr. Stacy also mentions a track stack ?

I'm just flicking through the book now! She says that she reserves beta alanine for her most dedicated athletes because you don't really need it if you're not competitive. It's just an amino acid so no harm in trying it but I'm not going to bother as I'm definitely not competitive!
    I have ordered magnesium and urinalysis sticks though!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I've heard good things about the EVB shorts too. Like Bluesquare, I'm lucky enough not to need them.

Just to add, though, if people have pelvic floor issues, I'd recommend seeing a women's health physio before / as well as special shorts etc.

If you're in Dublin this place in brilliant:

https://milltownphysiotherapy.com/

I'd second the Milltown clinic, they're great. I had bad diastasis recti (separation of tummy muscles) after two large babies but they got me back to almost normal.

Seesee wrote: »
    I just got a pair was planning to use for longer runs when extra support helpful. No pockets though. I’ve also gotten a referral to milltown but haven’t taken it further yet as it’s a bit of a trek for me. How many sessions might be needed. I don’t have a big problem just need advise really on how to do exercises more effectively.

Their first session is expensive because it's longer, so you might get away with just one, if you get good advice etc from them.

I only went once - I'd had surgery, and had been rehabbing for a few months with a sports physio, but I just wanted Milltown to check the muscles he couldn't :)

They check you out (and it's an internal muscle check, just to warn you!), tell you what you're doing right, or wrong, and I went away with a sheet of exercises. I probably don't do them as much as I should, but I got reassurance that everything was ok and I was ready to go back to racing etc, and I have the sheet and detailed instructions if I ever feel I need to do them more regularly.

I think it's worth a visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

For women after childbirth, or menopausal: how do you cope with the issue of seepage? (the pee kind)

Day Lewin wrote: »
    For women after childbirth, or menopausal: how do you cope with the issue of seepage? (the pee kind)

That’s what the girls are talking about above and also the EVB shorts are designed to help protect your core and prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Day Lewin wrote: »

I was only discussing this with a friend the other night. She discovered she suffers from hormonal (rather than muscular) leekage. She takes oestrogen twice a month which completely solved her problem.

She has been told that as she ages and her natural oestrogen lessens, that it will re-occur.

Her female GP was zero help by the way, saying there was no such illness, she had to argue to get a referral.

juke wrote: »
    I was only discussing this with a friend the other night. She discovered she suffers from hormonal (rather than muscular) leekage. She takes oestrogen twice a month which completely solved her problem.

She has been told that as she ages and her natural oestrogen lessens, that it will re-occur.

Her female GP was zero help by the way, saying there was no such illness, she had to argue to get a referral.

That’s very interesting. Where do she get the referral to? As in who helped her figure out what the problem was in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

That’s very interesting. Where do she get the referral to? As in who helped her figure out what the problem was in the end.

She said she initially suffered from it 12 years ago after the birth of her 2nd child and a different GP gave her supplements then.

It cleared up and has only started again in the last 6 -8 months or so.

Her GP told her there was nothing she could prescribe so she demanded a referral to a gynachologist.

• Advertisement

Just going back to the Roar book by Stacy sims. She recommends taking low dose aspirin for the second two weeks of your cycle, before training. I did a bit of research and spoke to a pharmacist today and it's not recommended that anyone take low dose aspirin unless they have heart problems. It can cause gastro bleeding and kidney problems, and if you fall while running you'll bleed more. You can't get low dose aspirin over the counter here anyway, it's only on prescription.

Advertisement