Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite True Crime Stories

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I wouldn't have said that S-Town is true crime :confused:

Well it started off with John believing there was a murder in his local town. I assume that is why it is in the "True Crime" category. It may have ended differently but it did start off on that basis.

Some of my own favorites are;
    Atlanta Monster
    Accused
    Dirty John
    Aftermath - peoples stories after they got shot on how it changed their lives etc. Very gripping.
    Caliphate - maybe not true crime as such but a very very good podcast about ISIS.
    The list does on and on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rawn wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for something a little different try Dr Death. It's a true story of a surgeon in America that maimed and killed so many people in surgery that investigators genuinely thought he was an imposter. The bureaucracy of the American healthcare system saw him simply moved from hospital to hospital for years rather than deal with him. This was actually more recent than you'd think, he was only sentenced 2 or 3 years ago.

Any links to this,only ones showing up are assisted suicide ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Haven't got around to west cork yet. The others are very good though.

The teacher's pet story line is brilliant, I just don't think it is told very well. That is just my opinion though.

I must say, I think Hedley Thomas does an excellent job on The Teacher's Pet. Love the amount of interviews in it, it's very well researched. Each to their own I suppose!

Serial season 3 is actually quite interesting. Very different from the first two seasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just a heads up, don't be afraid to start a thread on any of these cases so we can discuss them in more depth. The more threads on this forum the better.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Just a heads up, don't be afraid to start a thread on any of these cases so we can discuss them in more depth. The more threads on this forum the better.

Sounds good. I have a few podcasts I would like to know other peoples opinions on. Might start one soon :)

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I must say, I think Hedley Thomas does an excellent job on The Teacher's Pet. Love the amount of interviews in it, it's very well researched. Each to their own I suppose!

Serial season 3 is actually quite interesting. Very different from the first two seasons.

Yeah, I do see your point. I like how many interviews and phone calls etc.. are told. Its good to hear the actual calls rather than people talking about the calls they had.

I think it is told a bit too slowly, too many pauses between sentences etc. But that is probably just me as I know a lot of people that love it. Each to their own as you said :)
    It is a great podcast though and a must listen.

I haven't started Serial season 3 yet. I am waiting for the episodes to build up. Will start next week when episode 5 comes out. I hear it is very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah, I do see your point. I like how many interviews and phone calls etc.. are told. Its good to hear the actual calls rather than people talking about the calls they had.

I think it is told a bit too slowly, too many pauses between sentences etc. But that is probably just me as I know a lot of people that love it. Each to their own as you said :)
    It is a great podcast though and a must listen.

I haven't started Serial season 3 yet. I am waiting for the episodes to build up. Will start next week when episode 5 comes out. I hear it is very good though.

The Teachers Pet is definitely a bit long. I think its 14 episodes, and 10 probably would've been about perfect. But, I don't think he had 14 in mind originally - more info kept coming to light, which is why it got extended to 14, I believe. Great podcast though, and great to bring some attention to a crazy case like that! Hope Lynette gets some justice at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

rawn wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for something a little different try Dr Death. It's a true story of a surgeon in America that maimed and killed so many people in surgery that investigators genuinely thought he was an imposter. The bureaucracy of the American healthcare system saw him simply moved from hospital to hospital for years rather than deal with him. This was actually more recent than you'd think, he was only sentenced 2 or 3 years ago.

Any links to this,only ones showing up are assisted suicide ones

https://open.spotify.com/show/1SdNTEhycBu8JebWnTRsjd?si=-xqIwGeaTD2He15vlD_HgA

I would love a documentary about this case, i think it would work extremely well with graphics of his surgery's went vs how they should have went, though they're explained very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Not a podcast but a long read from Wired telling the story of the silk road...

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Silk Road was a bizarre case, Casefile done a good pod on it. Irish man got caught up in also.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0627/973575-gary-davis-supreme-court/

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Listening to the Casefile Podcast about the East Area Rapist at the moment, absolutely chilling.

Not a podcast but a long read from Wired telling the story of the silk road...

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-1/

This looks interesting, I will definitely give it a read.
    Thank you for providing the link :)

Silk Road was a bizarre case, Casefile done a good pod on it. Irish man got caught up in also.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0627/973575-gary-davis-supreme-court/

Interesting, I done a bit of reading up on this case a few weeks ago and never came across this bit about the Irish man. Makes it even more interesting now :)

I am currently listening to Up and Vanished season 3. I loved season 1 and 2. 3 isn't as good but it is still very interesting.
    I think Payne Lindsay does an absolutely fantastic job on investigation works and also how he tells the story through the podcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Making a murderer , part 2 starts this week

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Making a murderer , part 2 starts this week

I'm fairly certain that the show will go something like this

- recap
    - new defense attorney
    - interviews of what has happened since the last show
    - some big reveal
    - the big reveal changes nothing and has to go through appeals processes.

I really hope that it's great, but I'm not expecting much given that they are still in the big house.

I thought Brenden Dassey was to be released.

Will be interesting to see what has happened since.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I've just finished reading "The Murders at White House Farm" by Carol Ann Lee.

I don't know how well known this case is in Ireland, and summarising it is very difficult. Basically, an entire family was killed. Neville and June Bamber, their daugher Sheila Caffell and her two young sons, Nicholas and Daniel - all shot dead. The Bamber's son, Jeremy, has been in prison for all their murders since 1986. However, he claims it was Sheila who killed them all and turned the gun on herself (she was found with two gunshot wounds to the throat).

I'm so torn on this case and I still haven't made up my mind since reading the book. It was excellent and, at first, professionally impartial. But it soon became clear that the author believe's Jeremy did it and framed his sister by posing her body and blaming her numerous mental health issues.

I've also listened to several podcasts covering the case and they're generally 50/50 on it. Personally, I'm just not convinced that Sheila could have done this with the drugs she was on (that left her "zombie-like"). I certainly don't think she could have beaten her father so badly. But I'm not convinced Jeremy did it, either.

Link to the Case

I don't know how well known this case is in Ireland, and summarising it is very difficult. Basically, an entire family was killed. Neville and June Bamber, their daugher Sheila Caffell and her two young sons, Nicholas and Daniel - all shot dead. The Bamber's son, Jeremy, has been in prison for all their murders since 1986. However, he claims it was Sheila who killed them all and turned the gun on herself (she was found with two gunshot wounds to the throat).

I'm so torn on this case and I still haven't made up my mind since reading the book. It was excellent and, at first, professionally impartial. But it soon became clear that the author believe's Jeremy did it and framed his sister by posing her body and blaming her numerous mental health issues.

I've also listened to several podcasts covering the case and they're generally 50/50 on it. Personally, I'm just not convinced that Sheila could have done this with the drugs she was on (that left her "zombie-like"). I certainly don't think she could have beaten her father so badly. But I'm not convinced Jeremy did it, either.

Link to the Case

The extended family that inherited the farm eventually were always suspect in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Link to the Case

Very interesting. Read the wikipedia late last night and then had a freaky dream :pac:

Pretty sad, disturbing tale all in all. Unbelievable that your man Giovanni Di Stefano was involved in the defence.

Suckler wrote: »
    The extended family that inherited the farm eventually were always suspect in my mind.

Yes, very! While they definitely had nothing to do with the actual murder (with Jeremy claiming Neville rang him saying "Sheila's gone berserk with a gun"), they definitely had a vested interest in getting Jeremy out of the way. And it was they who found the bloodstained silencer in the cupboard. Conveniently enough.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Pretty sad, disturbing tale all in all. Unbelievable that your man Giovanni Di Stefano was involved in the defence.

Yeah, didn't he turn out to have precisely zero legal qualifications yet is somehow caught up in several cases? All seriously high profile cases, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am sure it's been mentioned but the podcast criminal is fantastic.
    Not always serious crimes some light episodes as well which is nice

Link to the Case

Interesting one, I have never heard of it but I will 100% be looking in to this a lot more now :) Thanks for the links :D

Yes, very! While they definitely had nothing to do with the actual murder (with Jeremy claiming Neville rang him saying "Sheila's gone berserk with a gun"), they definitely had a vested interest in getting Jeremy out of the way. And it was they who found the bloodstained silencer in the cupboard. Conveniently enough.

Yeah "Finding" the silencer was very convenient. The Boutflour family always referred to Jeremy in a derogatory manner; the prospect of him getting family* land abhorred them.

*They never saw him as family; referred to as "the bast4rd"

Interesting one, I have never heard of it but I will 100% be looking in to this a lot more now :) Thanks for the links :D

You're welcome and enjoy, it's a knotty case right enough. Gen Why, S'laughter and Thinking Sideways have all done great Podcasts on this case too. Well worth checking out.
    Suckler wrote: »
    Yeah "Finding" the silencer was very convenient. The Boutflour family always referred to Jeremy in a derogatory manner; the prospect of him getting family* land abhorred them.

*They never saw him as family; referred to as "the bast4rd"

The Boutflour's are just strange all around. To this day, they've kept blood stained carpets and wallpaper strips etc. And while Jeremy sounds like he was pretty arrogant (selling nude photos of Sheila to the tabloids and whatnot), they have him painted as the Devil incarnate.

Whoever is guilty of the white farm murders one thing for sure is that the Police made some mess of it.

For me Jeremy was innocent based on the 999 calls alone, how he was found guilty is beyond me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Whoever is guilty of the white farm murders one thing for sure is that the Police made some mess of it.

For me Jeremy was innocent based on the 999 calls alone, how he was found guilty is beyond me.
    A number of officers also reported seeing movement in the house before Jeremy arrived/while he was outside with other police officers

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

I'm enjoying podcasts at the moment also. True Crime Garage is very entertaining and there is a good rapport between the presenters.

• Advertisement

There's scores of brilliant True Crime pods broadcasting right now, as well. You're spoiled for choice.

Advertisement