Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So This Guy Buys An Island

• 04-02-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭

If a guy buys an island, can he give it away? ie like the Lotto ad. Do you own all the land all the way down and all the sky above? Can another country accept a gift of land like an island?

On another angle, would you be more likely to go on holiday to an island that is Irish territory, rather than the same island if it were still "owned" by the original country. Would it be like a slice of Ireland with good weather? When you go on holidays, is it (partially?) to get away from Irish culture?

Lastly, what island (or land) should our fictional Lotto benefactor buy? Somewhere warm in the Mediterranean? Near enough to go to via Ryanair? Great scenery? Diverse wildlife?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The Anglo-Irish common law position on land is down to hell and up to heaven but that's generally been eroded by laws over the last hundred years or so; constitutional articles relating to natural resourses and laws to do with flight paths for example.

Not quite sure where you're going on the gifting though. If I buy a house in Rahney as a Scot, for arguments sake, does that make that house in Raheny part of Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Jesus wept- you've my head bursted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'm buying an island but you're not invited.

No anti craics allowed on my island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Lastly, what island (or land) should our fictional Lotto benefactor buy? Somewhere warm in the Mediterranean? Near enough to go to via Ryanair? Great scenery? Diverse wildlife?

Dunno about the rest, but as anyone who's been on a wild weekend away on an island will tell you, the most important requirement is...no guards.

What time do the pubs close? Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Not quite sure where you're going on the gifting though. If I buy a house in Rahney as a Scot, for arguments sake, does that make that house in Raheny part of Scotland?

Well, when you own it you can give it away. You can give it to a friend, or to the local cats home. Can you give it to a country? Would they take it?

Some houses in Dublin do belong to other countries, ie Embassies.

Could the island be the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

If one person can buy an Island does that constitute as a banana republic? Honest question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I had an island the pubs would open early and close early, if ye cannae get enough to do ye by 11pm you can fcuk back off to the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

maudgonner wrote:
    What time do the pubs close? Christmas Day.

Heard a great one some time ago. A yank was on one of the smaller islands off the west coast, and asked the barman what time they closed. Barman replied "How much have ya got? "

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you want to have your own laws you need an army to back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If you want to have your own laws you need an army to back it up

If the gaurds want to land, they'll need a jetty, or map to your house, or key to the moat etc! Sorry Gaurd, we didn't hear you knocking with all the rain.

If you buy your Island in the USA ( depending on where) you may not have the right to use solar power, fish its seas, or mine it for gold /oil as the contracts as to who has rights to do these things and access these reaources are very complicated over there. Here, in wet boggy rocky poor Irish Island, it is far less complex - thankfully. I think in the UK the Queen owns all the seans and you need a rotal permit to kill & roast one - but otherwise its simpler there too. Land grands and leasehold/freehold/ownership is a bit tricky there too .

In Sweden nobody is allowed to own or fence off the 'wild' - so failing a lottery win you could just go camping there and pretend you own it. Far more cost effective & less messy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd give myself a grand title like 'El Presidente'

Well, when you own it you can give it away. You can give it to a friend, or to the local cats home. Can you give it to a country? Would they take it?

Some houses in Dublin do belong to other countries, ie Embassies.

Could the island be the same?

Land ownership is very different to ownership of chattels; it's not absolute. It would be the state that gives the land to another state, this happened in Ireland. Personal ownership may or may not be respected by the new state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'd give myself a grand title like 'El Presidente'

Supreme High Commander and Overlord-ness.

Most Grand Benevolent* Dictator

(*When I'm in good form)

And I'd definitely be changing the time zone so that I don't have to get up early. Mid-Atlantic time.

I'd forgotten about Forte São José. Maybe get in contact with the King OP?

Oh sorry he's a Prince in the Principality of the Pontinha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Can this be our National Anthem please?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

If I buy a house in Rahney as a Scot, for arguments sake, does that make that house in Raheny part of Scotland?
    I'm fairly sure that although you would own the house and could stake a claim on it for Scotland, the land it resides on will be Irish. Unless you somehow try to form your own country there...then things could get messy and you'll be invaded soon after, losing the house in the process :pac:

entropi wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that although you would own the house and could stake a claim on it for Scotland, the land it resides on will be Irish. Unless you somehow try to form your own country there...then things could get messy and you'll be invaded soon after, losing the house in the process :pac:

Doesn't even have to be an island, of course.

http://www.sealandgov.org/about/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

You could buy it and make it private property but it'd still remain as part of the Nation (whichever). The sinless CJ Haughey bought an Island off the Kerry coast but it's still the Territory of the Rep. - I hope! You could fly whatever flag you want but that means squat. Well, to normal people it means squat...to Nordies and Americans who pledge allegiance to the flag, it means something more.

I'll go Viking on you if you do buy an island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Heard a great one some time ago. A yank was on one of the smaller islands off the west coast, and asked the barman what time they closed. Barman replied "How much have ya got? "

You don't have to go rural to get that response!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

If the gaurds want to land, they'll need a jetty, or map to your house, or key to the moat etc! Sorry Gaurd, we didn't hear you knocking with all the rain.

If you buy your Island in the USA ( depending on where) you may not have the right to use solar power, fish its seas, or mine it for gold /oil as the contracts as to who has rights to do these things and access these reaources are very complicated over there. Here, in wet boggy rocky poor Irish Island, it is far less complex - thankfully. I think in the UK the Queen owns all the seans and you need a rotal permit to kill & roast one - but otherwise its simpler there too. Land grands and leasehold/freehold/ownership is a bit tricky there too .

In Sweden nobody is allowed to own or fence off the 'wild' - so failing a lottery win you could just go camping there and pretend you own it. Far more cost effective & less messy.

Hell of a lot of people to have ownership over. How about the Shawns, and Shauns?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Saltee Islands off Wexford have been owned by the Neale family for about 80 years.

One of them, Michael, has crowned himself Prince Michael of the Saltee Islands. There's even a throne on the main island.
    "This chair is erected in memory of my mother to whom I made a vow when I was ten years old that one day I would own the Saltee Islands and become the First Prince of the Saltees. Henceforth my heirs and successors can only proclaim themselves Prince of these Islands by sitting in this chair fully garbed in the robes and crown of the Islands and take the Oath of Succession" - Michael the First.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

osarusan wrote: »
    Saltee Islands off Wexford have been owned by the Neale family for about 80 years.

One of them, Michael, has crowned himself Prince Michael of the Saltee Islands. There's even a throne on the main island.

A really nice sentiment.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If you bought an island it would remain the sovereign territory of whatever country claims it, even though you own it privately. If you were to buy 100 acres in Kilkenny you couldn't just decide to give it to Ukraine, it's the same principle.

France have a few tropical islands dotted around the place that are still part of the E.U. use the Euro etc. Maybe try one of them.

Advertisement